NGD & Will you please help interpret this neck info?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

Hi all, I just rescued a 2001 ASAT Special that had been languishing in a local pawn shop. Excellent condition (plastic not even taken off the pickguard). Came with the molded hard case but zero case candy or additional info. The registry is updated already (it was there already, I just filled in some additional details). I couldn't make out the info on the neck though. The neck pocket says Feb 28, 2001 but for the life of me I can't interpret the magic marker script on the neck itself. Can you help me out? Here are some pics:
Headstock:
Front view:
Neck pocket:
Neck info:

PS: I've bought several G&Ls of late and will be selling my Robert Cray Artist Stratocaster and '69 Telecaster Thinline to offset the costs... This all started with an innocent trip to a local pawn shop, where I picked up my very first G&L ('96 Legacy) for what I thought an extremely fair price.

Re: NGD & Will you please help interpret this neck info?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:56 am

Nice - “Neckwork” I can make out, not the signature. I think I remember around this era one of the factory workers liked to personalize the necks, which I think is pretty cool.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Alll the info I have is from a member of the G&L guitar and bass: by Leo Fender and George Fullerton FB group who mentioned he seems to recall it is 'signature' of Joe G. (no last name known to me) who was responsible for the "neckwork" in those years.

- Jos

Re: NGD & will you please help interpret this neck info?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:07 pm

Well, that's the best I can expect then! 8-) . No worries, I thought there may be something more to it than what I was seeing. I'm just glad the "neck work" phrase isn't indicative that it was a replacement neck or anything. Thanks for the comments, guys! Much appreciated!

Mike

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:48 am

beautiful sunburst on your asat!

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Alll the info I have is from a member of the G&L guitar and bass: by Leo Fender and George Fullerton FB group who mentioned he seems to recall it is 'signature' of Joe G. (no last name known to me) who was responsible for the "neckwork" in those years.

- Jos

I remember a post or perhaps an email and that signature is a John G. I also seem to remember that they apparently did not like him doing this. I have several guitars with this signature.

Tom