30th Anniversary L2000: "Rare Bird" or "just" a great bass?

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:18 pm

I checked the Rare Bird entries in the Registry last week and thought I saw the 30th Anniversary L2000s listed.

I go back this week and have a look and they are not. Chances are I thought I saw something I didn't.

In looking on the forum I did see some discussion about their "Rare Bird" status and production numbers (which need to be below 400) but these were unresolved and dated to 2010 and just after.

What I did find out was that rather than producing a predefined limited production they would be made on demand, but -- as an anniversary model -- I also assume that this would be time-limited to 2010. Actually, I just noted that the "Production List of G&L Instruments (USA)" on this site states that the run was from 2010-2012, so that assumption is wrong...

So, anyone have any insight into the story of the lovely looking pearly white L2000? Its definitely a great bass (my favourite), but is it also up for a "Rare Bird" classification?

Re: 30th Anniversary L2000: "Rare Bird" or "just" a great ba

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:50 pm

See these posts:
G&L Announces the 30th Anniversary Collection!
How many G&L 30th anniversary specials were made

They did not make the Rarebird status because we could not get final production numbers. So, they fall into the status of Special Builds.
See: List of G&L Rarebird Instruments (USA)
Custom Creation Special Build and other periodic Special Build instruments are not included because they do not have a set production number and date.

You might want to check out the CLF Research L-2000 bass as an alternative. See: Introducing the new CLF Research L-2000

Hope this helps.

Re: 30th Anniversary L2000: "Rare Bird" or "just" a great ba

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi Craig -

Thanks for the reply.

I did previously see the 2 posts about not having production numbers, but I thought maybe the
situation had changed as they are, I think, from 2009 and 2010.

Thanks for pointing out the CLF-Research L-2000. They look just amazing. I look at them and see my 1981 F-100 in them.

I already have an L-2000 though, and (since I'm really a thin-stringer more than a bassist) if I could summon up the money for a CLF-Research guitar at the moment it would be for the new Espada... which has the same great old-school vibe of their L-2000. Brilliant looking guitars that hark back to the first days of G&L (and before, actually!) ... I can dream... :D