G&L ASAT Classic Pickups, A Little Info Please....

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:04 am

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the forum. Joined years ago and never really posted. I have rejoined and plan on being here more frequently. I have a line on a set of G&L ASAT Classic pickups; the MFDs not the alnicos, and not the big MFDs that look like P90s. I thought I might try them; but I haven't really head these pickups nor read much about them. There has to be some folks here tat have ample experience with them. I would appreciate you sharing your experiences or reviews.

They will be going in a Tele with an ash body, maple fretboard, with 250k pots.

Thanks, in advance.

Butch Snyder

Re: G&L ASAT Classic Pickups, A Little Info Please....

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 am

The best I can do is provide samples of what they sound like in different people's hands.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 am

Here's a video comparing a Fender with alnico pickups to MFDs that is to my ears pretty representative; MFDs in general have more output, focused attack and crisp tightness; they also sound a bit darker, but they still fall more into the 'bright' single coil camp than giving humbucker thickness. They can achieve more 'modern' driven tones, which means a bit more versatility than the alnico singles.

This is not at the *total* expense of the traditional Telecaster tone, but the alnico chime/open sound can't really be imitated; for me one can't replace the other so I would buy one of each :) For a lot of people & styles the standard telecaster sound is too twangy/weak/thin, but traditional Telecaster players might find it easier to get the 'classic' sounds (no surprise) from alnico.

phpBB [video]

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:01 am

Danley wrote:Here's a video comparing a Fender with alnico pickups to MFDs that is to my ears pretty representative; MFDs in general have more output, focused attack and crisp tightness; they also sound a bit darker, but they still fall more into the 'bright' single coil camp than giving humbucker thickness. They can achieve more 'modern' driven tones, which means a bit more versatility than the alnico singles.

This is not at the *total* expense of the traditional Telecaster tone, but the alnico chime/open sound can't really be imitated; for me one can't replace the other so I would buy one of each :) For a lot of people & styles the standard telecaster sound is too twangy/weak/thin, but traditional Telecaster players might find it easier to get the 'classic' sounds (no surprise) from alnico.

phpBB [video]

This is the one I needed to see. Many thanks for all the vids. I had seen most of these as well. I wanted to read a description as well. Thanks so much for providing.