How many ASAT's?

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:51 pm

I previously read a forum post by a guy who said he had 5 strats, and I thought "why would anybody need or want 5 strats, isn't a strat a strat?"
Well, I got my 4th ASAT today and I thought "why do I need or want 4 ASAT's?" I was also preparing for my wife's similar question I knew would be coming.
Well, this one really grabbed my eye. I haven't been much interested in the honeyburst finish or white PG's, but when I saw it it just talked to me. More amber, not much burst, beautiful woodgrain from the swamp ash, mint condition 2015, barely played, great price negotiated and "0" shipping!
Other unique things I like about it: semi-hollow, light (7lb 2oz), vintage V neck w/9.5 in radius, the ASAT classic neck p'up, OLS spec body. After setting it up and playing for an hour or so, I realized how different and special it is, compared to my other ASAT's, which are all unique in their own right. Sounds and plays amazing!
So what's your take, those who feel it's necessary to have more than one ASAT? Not just another Tele?
I put a few pix below, and a few more toward the end of my gallery (link).

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... emId=23793

Re: How many ASAT's?

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:14 am

Absolutely perfect John -- Darwin

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:41 am

I am sure you need another one..... Or two....

edg

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 am

I have three ASATs (and one modified Tele). My rule is they all must have different PU configurations:

Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe -> Jumbo MFD
ASAT Classic S -> Classic MFDs + S-500 MFD middle PU
ASAT Z-2 -> Z-Coil MFDs
Modified MIM Blacktop Telecaster -> Single Fralin P-92 (Esquire/LP Jr hybrid inspired mod).

Would like to get a Tribute ASAT Special to modify and replace the Neck PU with a F-100 MFD HB. Similar to Sam's Manchild, but with MFD HB. But this can wait till I find a ridiculously good deal on a Special... And I prefer they all have different aesthetics.

Cheers, Dan

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:21 am

Absolutely gorgeous! And as I first heard from Greg Gagliano, you cannot have enough ASATs. ;-)

- Jos

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:56 am

John,

She’s a beauty! :thumbup: Now, what is next on your GAS list?

I’m in the same group as Jos and Greg Gagliano, “You can never have too many ASAT’s.”

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:49 am

Thanks guys, I feel justified!
Dan, like you, I think the ASAT's I have are different enough from each other re: necks, pickups, body styles that they have different personalities and tones that serve different styles of music and different moods.
It is getting a little crowded in the guitar closet, though. For now, the GAS is satisfied...for now :twisted:

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:03 pm

Well, I told her that something like this would be coming...

But what really came was this...

It's a 2017 i got a good deal on. Really liked the color. Always fond of the ASAT special and its p'ups. I think G&L made a run of these as Fullerton Deluxes for Musician's Friend in 2017. It's in nearly brand new condition. required a bit of set up, but otherwise has OLS body, modern classic neck (my new fav), rosewood board, 9.5 radius, '86 ASAT logo on headstock - cool. Weighs 8lb, 1.5 oz. Came with a G&L gigbag, nice to have, and seller threw in a 10 foot braided Fender cable, nice! DCR of the p'ups a little lower than on the 2007 special i have, these are 4.71 neck, 5.10 bridge. Significance of this remains unclear but sure sounds nice.

Here are a couple more shots from the gallery
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... alNumber=3
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... alNumber=3
Last edited by john o on Sun May 03, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Congratulations John! Looks great. Turn it up and let it rip.

Cheers, Dan

Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:49 pm

I've got a Classic, Special, Z-3, and an ASAT bass. Still room for a bluesy and maybe an SIII I think.