NGD: ASAT Classic Fullerton Standard

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:47 pm

I received this about a week ago. A fantastic guitar, which will be even better after a few details are sorted out. For example:

1. It came out of the box with fairly high action and intonation is off. But this can be corrected fairly easily.
2. The fret ends are a little sharp all along the neck. Not enough to hurt, but enough to notice it. I may, or may not, do something about it.
3. The stock tuners are very tight and jerky, making precise adjustments harder than it needs to be. So I will be replacing these. Does anyone know what brand tuners are drop in replacements? I'm looking for locking, high ratio (> 16:1) tuners that require no drilling. I emailed G&L using the address on their contacts section, but I haven't heard back.

https://imgur.com/a/vLmk3jB

Re: NGD: ASAT Classic Fullerton Standard

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 am

Welcome to the board Kenhan!

This is a sweet looking guitar - hope you don't mind me posting the pic here (below), it just saves people from having to follow the link.

Sounds like the initial setup wasn't all that great. Hope that gets resolved for you.

There are a few threads on the board about drop in replacement tuners (you can find them if you search). I am pretty sure you can also buy some directly from the G&L online store.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:07 am

I can’t find a good picture of the newer tuners - is there a screw to adjust pressure sensitivity? If so you may just need to loosen it.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:53 am

Schaller tuners are drop in replacements. See: What tuners are used on G&L guitars (USA models)?.

I suggest you contact the selling dealer and tell them about the tuner issue you are having. They should be able to take care of
it for you under the Warranty.

Where are you located? The reason I ask (and why we ask members to update their profile with the location) is that the climate can
affect the wood of any guitar. In this case your fretboard wood likely has dried out some causing the fret sprout. Do a search on the
Internet for "fret sprout" for more details and some remedies.

Also, please add your guitar to our G&L Registry when you get a chance.

Hope this helps.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
And thanks for posting the picture! I tried but couldn't figure out how.
I'm in Southern California, Temecula, an hour north of San Diego. The climate has been very dry lately, indeed!
I bought the guitar from Guitar Center. I probably should contact them, but I'm already pretty set on getting higher ratio locking tuners anyways.
It seems like this is a great forum with a great community. I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

Ken

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:28 pm

kenhan wrote:Thanks for the welcome everyone!
And thanks for posting the picture! I tried but couldn't figure out how.
I'm in Southern California, Temecula, an hour north of San Diego. The climate has been very dry lately, indeed!
I bought the guitar from Guitar Center. I probably should contact them, but I'm already pretty set on getting higher ratio locking tuners anyways.
It seems like this is a great forum with a great community. I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

Ken

Check out the Welcome! Read This First post as we have a link to the Tutorial: Posting Photos along with other info on our site, too.

Hope this helps.