CLF-100 vs Fender v-mod pickups

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 am

Hi, I just bought a beautiful USA Legacy (Gilmour styling) from a chap on Gumtree.

It's a stunning guitar but he'd swapped the original pickups (CLF-100s) for a set of Fender v-mods. After that he concluded he just didn't like single coils and decided to sell it. Good news is he included the original pups in the sale so I can choose either set.

My inclination is to swap the CLF-100s back in but I don't really know how highly rated they are. Certainly the guitar sounds great as it is so maybe I'd be better leaving it alone.

Anyone been able to compare the CLF-100s against any of Fender's Alnico offerings?

Cheers,

iperry

Re: CLF-100 vs Fender v-mod pickups

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:29 pm

I don't have anything first hand, but they will sound pretty similar if they're alnico pickups. The type of magnet, the output/windings will change voicing slightly. V-mods combine alnico II and alnico V, and also have higher output than traditional strat pups, and higher output than the Legacy pickups.

Legacy pickups will also sound like 50s strat pups which are low output but really throaty. If I had to guess, I would guess that V-mods have more high end.

This actually may benefit you with the G&L PBT wiring. The bass rolloff is REALLY usable with bright, loud pickups because they serve as a good "de-mud."

Sorry this isn't the most directly helpful but I hope it offers some insight.