Skyhawk re-issue question regarding the pots

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:17 am

Hi,

I recieved today a Skyhawk re-issue, made November 2018 and I have a question regarding the pots.

Maybe another Skyhawk owner can confirm or clarify.

All three pots feel completely different, in regard to resistance while turning. The volume pot feels medium light turning and a bit scratchy. The treble roll-off is also medium light turning and less scratchy, and the axis seems a bit bent. The bass roll-off has a high turning resistance and when turned of has sort of a (function-less) click-point.

This makes the turning experience a bit weird.

Next questin is that the Skyhawk hums very much. Ok, single coil, but when I touch the bass roll-off it hums very, very much and goes away when touching the strings (which is ok I guess?). All three pots seem to increase the hum and I am just sitting in my home without fancy light stuff going on. My Tribute Legacy HSS doesnt hum at all that way in the single coil modes.

I am a bit underwhelmed of the pots and might send the guitar back but maybe someone can clarify this.

BTW, I am in Europe so I would just use my customer's return rights.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Skyhawk re-issue question regarding the pots

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:26 pm

It sounds like you may have a grounding issue with at least the bass pot, which may be related to the turning resistance if it’s mis-aligned or otherwise just faulty. You shouldn’t have an increase in noise by touching any part of the guitar. I’d definitely contact the dealer/retailer to see what they would do to fix this.

Re: Skyhawk re-issue question regarding the pots

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks, that helps understanding the issue. When I was inspecting the guitar further, I noticed that the maple fretboard has it's faults, too. At several locations on the upper frets, there is lacquer chipped off directly at the fret wire.

So this one definitely goes back. Bummer because otherwise the guitar feels nice, great neck, the body shape. But for this price, it has to be flawless for me if its new out of the box.

I wonder if this was on display at NAMM and if G&L shows there some production guitars which have some flaws? Maybe the dealer bought this off NAMM after the show. But I would be really suprised if this was the case.

Anyway, I will look after a different one. I am of the opinion that you immediately notices if an instrument was made for you. I need to have this kind'a feeling, I "absorb" to it. This one wasnt talking to me.