Stupid Deal of the Day clear ash ASAT for refinishing?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:41 pm

So I just pulled the trigger on the Stupid Deal of the Day ASAT Tribute in clear ash for only $299. My thinking is that I want to sand off the clear finish and do a grain-enhancing transparent dye. Like the newer Fender American Performer Sandblasted available at Sweetwater.

How thick is the finish on these? Is it at all feasible to sand it off? I'm not too worried about "taking off too much." I'm not really interested in doing any sort of chemical peel on it at all.

Anyone have any experiences with this they would like to share?

Thanks.

Re: Stupid Deal of the Day clear ash ASAT for refinishing?

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:05 am

The finish is rather tick (tribute Asat butterscotch) and i did it with a heat gun to soft it up and than remove it with a metal spatel.
I have to say that sometimes i did chip the wood of the body :o

Re: Stupid Deal of the Day clear ash ASAT for refinishing?

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:55 am

Poly is almost rock hard; since the easiest method to remove tends to use a heat gun/paint knife and induce possible scorching/gouging, there’s a chance of a clear finish being not ideal after you strip poly. That said, some thin urethane finishes (like a lot of US Fenders and I think recent US G&Ls have a better chance of flaking off easily and not being an inch thick.

I’d think about scuffing the clear and spraying transparent lacquer above though that would likely not enhance the grain as much as a full strip/stain. Also - a bit sad I missed a G&L Stupid Deal apparently.