Good bridge humbucker to match with MFDs?

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:39 pm

I have a mid 70s DiMarzio in the bridge now, but it's too low output and causes a pretty serious volume drop from the neck and middle MFDs. I'd like something with higher output and more bite than the DiMarzio.

Anyone have any experience with moving and matching?

Re: Good bridge humbucker to match with MFDs?

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 am

I’m pretty alarmed any PAF humbucker could be overpowered by a single coil (even a hotter pickup like the MFD.) Are you getting full resistance out of the humbucker? G&L paired them with Schaller humbuckers in the ‘80s; they still make them and they tend to be available used.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:57 am

You might try adjusting the humbucker height also. As far as replacement recommendations, I like the Duncan Distortion when you get into the higher output pickups.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:30 am

I had it set up by a good local shop and they adjusted the heights to get the most equal sounds out of the pups. The paf can't go much higher and when I've tried lowering it, it gets worse.

I got it from a guy who had it lying around in a box for a while. I wonder now if there was a reason he want using it in the first place?

Thanks for the suggestion!
Last edited by jking on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:46 am

I agree the Distortion is an excellent pickup. My favorite humbucker is the Duncan Jazz Bridge, but it’s a lower output humbucker (though it *should* still be hotter than the MFDs, based on my guitars - I never had a guitar with both MFDs and a PAF, but I’ve had both separately and compared.) You can take advantage of Seymour Duncan’s policy with exchanges and experiment.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Good idea! Thanks!