Looking for info on 2003 Legacy Relic “rustic?”

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:45 am

Hello all, i am trying to find information on this 2003 relic sunburst Legacy I have had for a while. I put it tentatively up for sale but will probably keep it in my collection. It is unique. Any info or facts would be much appreciated.. thanks. Merry Christmas
It can be seen here,,,photos etc.

Re: Looking for info on 2003 Legacy Relic “rustic?”

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:46 am

https://reverb.com/item/30306570-g-l-us ... t=30306570

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Zoobler wrote:Hello all, i am trying to find information on this 2003 relic sunburst Legacy I have had for a while. I put it tentatively up for sale but will probably keep it in my collection. It is unique. Any info or facts would be much appreciated.. thanks. Merry Christmas
It can be seen here,,,photos etc.

The Legacy Rustic model did not come out until 2009 and was first available in 2 Nitro finishes: Blonde on Swamp Ash and Lake Placid Blue on Alder. See: G&L USA Legacy vs USA Legacy Rustic and Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).

I am not aware of any Legacy special builds in Nitro finish before 2009.

I think this 2003 Legacy (in 3-tone Sunburst Polyurethane finish on Alder) on Reverb was likely relic'd by a previous owner. I also notice that non factory tuners were also installed. It was also built as a Legacy HB per the notation in the pickup route, so likely a previous owner
changed the pickguard and bridge pickup. Also the factory nut was replaced with an aftermarket nut.

You might contact G&L Tech Support (after January 6, 2020) and ask them if they can look up the serial number on the guitar and get the factory log information on it.

Hope this helps.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for the info Craig, the only thing that throws me off is the finish on the neck and body appear to be untouched factory original. The wear under the poly looks factory fresh. No orange peel or overspray . Also The neck finish also looks factory done as well . Finger wear etc. if someone paid to have it all resprayed it is like a factory job it would be a fantastic relic job. . All wear and tear is under the finish. Except for some apparent exterior dings and wear scratches. thanks

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:25 pm

In addition to everything Craig stated, originally the pickups would have had Black covers ('BLK CVRS'). I also noticed it seems to have a traditional Strat wiring instead of a G&L proprietary PTB tone stack typically found on the Legacy. The tone pot at the bottom, close to the output jack, is a CTS 250kΩ Audio Taper pot from (if I read it correctly) week 33 in 2007. In a PTB circuit, it would have been a 1MΩ Reverse Audio Taper providing the bass cut. The center pot is a bit messy, so it is hard to see what it is. It is possible it is (still) the 500kΩ Audio Taper pot found in a PTB circuit. Typically, (vintage) Stratocaster wiring harnesses have 250kΩ across the board for pots and the middle pot is a tone control for just the neck pickup while the bottom pots just for the middle pup. You can confirm whether this assertion is correct or not.

- Jos

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks. Great info. You guys know your stuff! I appreciate it!