What are you playing today?

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:18 pm

While I said the other day the 25th Anniversary was coming out, it did for a little while, but today became a few hours with a Will Ray Signature and a Will Ray B-Bender Mania DVD. Bounced between a couple of Fender amps and a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special. What are you playing today?

Hope yer having a “Twangin Day”! :alright:

Re: What are you playing today?

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:03 pm

I am laid up for a bit so I played my SG today. It worked a bit better the way I have to sit on the couch ( have to keep my right foot elevated ). The top mount jack worked better for the wireless transmitter . I was practicing Monkey Man and She Sells Sanctuary. My Asat was within arms length though....

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Hey Paul,

Bummer about the foot, but still got some SG time. Glad to hear an ASAT was within reach in case of emergency. Downtime can give some guitar time while immobile.

Below was my footwear from September to November. Ligament tear that is "better", but trying to avoid surgery still.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Been in Utah skiing for a week. Left the stringed instruments home due to the ski gear. Usually I'll bring along my martin backpacker or my GD uke. Just have a hohner harmonica here for ultimate portability. definitely jonesing for a 6 string at this point.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Hey John,

Sounds like a good time. Be careful, we don’t want to hear of any injuries from black diamond runs! :shocked003:

If you have foot or ankle injury I still have ankle boot.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:14 am

Today and yesterday I will be playing a 1987 Heritage H-140. I have more than my share of Heritage guitars and this one gets the most play time. It has Joe Barden pickups in it that at first I thought I would ditch. Now I might just leave it alone.

I also have been using a silver faced Vibro Champ but with these pickups I turn the eq almost completely down.
For me this amp works best that way with most of my guitars. I fight with the tone of that amp and it turns out that by turning the treble all the way down everything falls into place.

The Heritage is a blast. 7.1 pounds and a perfect neck for my hands. I run it through a Fulltone to put perfect
touch of breakup at house levels. Again my music room is 12 feet away from a church and I do not want to upset
the flock. Seriously they will attack.

For some reason I go for set neck guitars in the winter. Go figure.

That is what I am playing.

y2kc

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:56 am

sam wrote:Hey Paul,

Bummer about the foot, but still got some SG time. Glad to hear an ASAT was within reach in case of emergency. Downtime can give some guitar time while immobile.

Below was my footwear from September to November. Ligament tear that is "better", but trying to avoid surgery still.

Finally had Bunion surgery on my right foot. The first 2 weeks I have to sit or lay with it elevated, then hopefully the cast comes off and I gradually get shoe time. Minimum 8 weeks off. Never been this inert for this long. I'll be playing a lot .

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Was on the schedule for church today and was playing my first ever mod project. I picked up a used MIM Telecaster HH. It looked like someone had removed the neck pickup, but when I removed the pickguard to do my mods, I found the neck HB behind the pickguard. When I bought this, what I wanted to do was make a LP Jr / Esquire hybrid guitar. I wanted to find an ash tray bridge to hold the pickup, but couldn't find any in stock that looked like it would fit correctly (the Gotoh bridge had different number of scews and even the string through holes looked to be in a different place). In the end a pretty simple mod. Replace the standard bridge with a Hipshot bridge that was lower profile and just nicer appearance. The bridge pickup is a Fralin P-92, slightly under wound 9000 turns for more vintage tone. Replace the hideous 3-ply white pickguard with blue pearl (my youngest hates the blue - but I don't care!). The wiring is hydrid of Solamente, replaced all the pots and switched (had to drill out the control plate). Other than that I change the string tree to a vintage Tele string tree. And I almost forgot, CLF Research knobs! Just a simple punk inspired rocker. I nicknamed it the Bombpop.

This one is a bit blurry... vintage string tree.

I use my Vox AC15C1, which I just retubed with Mullard and Tung Sol. And recently I replaced my Nano Big Muff and Small Clone with EQD Gray Channel and Walrus Julia.

Cheers, Dan

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:27 pm

I’ve mentioned I’m on a twelve string kick - but that’s in the shop right now, and I’m continuing to hone my sloppy skills (needed) by continuing to play acoustic (being something a bit out of my element.) It’s a Breedlove Discovery I’ve been contemplating trading for something else of late, due to the ergonomics of the body and its general nature as a bit of a lemon of a guitar. I say that, but it was the best sounding guitar in the room at the time I bought it, so not sure how well replacing it will go.

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 am

Sam, happy to say i won't be needing the boot!
Paul, hope the healing goes well. Sounds like you have time to work on your next album!
Now that I'm back in the realm of 6 strings, this one was calling to me...

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:10 am

Nice! Gotta check in and see what's new around there!

All percussion for me so far... today.

Cheers,
Will

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:38 pm

John, Great news! :thumbup: Glad to hear yer boot free, even better a Skyhawk is in action.

Will, those are the coolest percussion instruments to have around. Always wanted one.

Danley and Dan, you guys are rocking some fancy axes for sure. Danley& Dan or Dan and Danley sounds like either a great music duo or the next crime fighting pair. :evilgrin:

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:52 pm

I believe this forum is unusually well stocked with ‘Dans’ of many varieties :) Anyway, I have a new answer today and solution to my constant pining for twelve strings; this arrived:

(Now to make room for it...)

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:14 am

'52 and '62 Teles (gotta spread the love around) and my L2500. All here in my den with me like faithful hounds just waiting for my attention. :mrgreen:

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 am

I've been playing my Mullen G2 pedal steel.

--Al Evans

Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:37 pm

I got a Fullerton Deluxe natural a few weeks ago and with all the chaos going on its been getting a lot of playing time. It make a really nice counterpoint to a Czech built Dean Evo. Recording has become quite fun again.