March 21, 1991, a day that shook the music world ...

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:34 am

Dave posted this on G&L's facebook page:

March 21, 1991, a day that shook the music world: Clarence Leo Fender passed away. The world lost an icon who changed music forever, but we lost much more than that. We lost our founder and guiding light, but 29 years later I feel like somehow his spirit is getting stronger. Maybe it’s just nostalgia in my heart, but that’s fine with me. - Dave McLaren

Another post from Dave:
“The man behind the bass” - Leo Fender didn’t just improve the bass, he created a whole new instrument with his electric bass. Three decades later his L-2000 showcased his technical achievements and it has been the best selling G&L bass ever since.

Last edited by Craig on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added another post from Dave

Re: March 21, 1991, a day that shook the music world ...

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:51 am

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Yesterday, after about a month of not touching a guitar, I played my G&L Tribute Fallout for about 45 minutes. Perhaps I was sub-consciously aware of remembering Leo.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Kit wrote:Yesterday, after about a month of not touching a guitar, I played my G&L Tribute Fallout for about 45 minutes. Perhaps I was sub-consciously aware of remembering Leo.

The mind is intractable at times, Kit! I hope you had a tone of fun playing it. I played a (vintage) SC-3 for band practice. Man, these are some amazing tone machines.

- Jos

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:02 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Kit wrote:Yesterday, after about a month of not touching a guitar, I played my G&L Tribute Fallout for about 45 minutes. Perhaps I was sub-consciously aware of remembering Leo.

The mind is intractable at times, Kit! I hope you had a tone of fun playing it. I played a (vintage) SC-3 for band practice. Man, these are some amazing tone machines.

- Jos

I did have fun playing my G&L. I came back from vacation more than 2 weeks ago. Came back to this COVID-19 mess so no band practice for the foreseeable future. And along with the stock market crash I felt anxious. Picking up my guitar turned my attention to the music rather than external reality.

Today I spent about 2 hours making up progressions with my keyboard. I may have the germ of a new piece of music incubating.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:07 am

Leo is buried in a cemetery where a lot of my relatives are; I should try to visit him next time.

In the meantime, we all missed out being able to buy his house a few years ago; testament to humility and frugality that he lived in a mobile home :) I forgot if I saw this listing posted here or elsewhere, but the ad copy even mentions Leo and the history. The pic even matches one in the 'George and Leo' book:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2851 ... 0188_zpid/