ASAT Bluesboy Neck Pickup Confusion

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:47 am

I'm really lost on this one. Hopefully you guys can help.

I order a G&L ASAT Bluesboy last year. It's a great guitar. I actually went with the Alnico option on the bridge single coil. That was a great choice.

I admit, I'm not blown away by the neck humbucker. It's good. No complaints really. I just felt the urge to maybe try something different. I looked up the specs of what is supposed to be in these. Now, to the best of my knowledge, these should have a AS4250B inside? That pickup is supposed to measure 8.4K ohms.

I pulled the neck pickups and first noticed there were no specific markings other than the usual G&L logo. Also, my ohmeter measured a cool 7.4K ohms no matter how many times I tried to pull a different reading. I got that every time.

Now, this is a brand new guitar from a registered dealer (Upfront Guitars). It came straight from the factory, so they put this pickup in there.

So what does this mean? Has G&L changed the pickup they're putting in these?

Re: ASAT Bluesboy Neck Pickup Confusion

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 am

Are you certain you are measuring the impedance of the pickup only; out of the circuit? The other components in the circuit can impact the measurement readings. There have been some posts on the forum on how to measure pickup impedance.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 am

jbandy10 wrote:I'm really lost on this one. Hopefully you guys can help.

I order a G&L ASAT Bluesboy last year. It's a great guitar. I actually went with the Alnico option on the bridge single coil. That was a great choice.

I admit, I'm not blown away by the neck humbucker. It's good. No complaints really. I just felt the urge to maybe try something different. I looked up the specs of what is supposed to be in these. Now, to the best of my knowledge, these should have a AS4250B inside? That pickup is supposed to measure 8.4K ohms.

I pulled the neck pickups and first noticed there were no specific markings other than the usual G&L logo. Also, my ohmeter measured a cool 7.4K ohms no matter how many times I tried to pull a different reading. I got that every time.

Now, this is a brand new guitar from a registered dealer (Upfront Guitars). It came straight from the factory, so they put this pickup in there.

So what does this mean? Has G&L changed the pickup they're putting in these?

My guess is it is a Seth Lover. They measure 7.3ish and came stock in a lot of Bluesboys.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:32 am

Guitars5000 wrote:My guess is it is a Seth Lover. They measure 7.3ish and came stock in a lot of Bluesboys.

Not since 2016. Also, it has a G&L logo on the backplate. It's definitely not a Seymour Duncan.

Tooslowhand wrote:Are you certain you are measuring the impedance of the pickup only; out of the circuit? The other components in the circuit can impact the measurement readings. There have been some posts on the forum on how to measure pickup impedance.

I took it physically out of the guitar and removed it from the circuit. I'm 100% sure it's 7.4K. I've been measuring pickups for over 15 years. I even tested my ohmeter on some other humbuckers to make sure it wasn't faulty.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:51 am

My only other guess would be they did a low wind version of the standard HB. The alnico bridge might not be powerful enough to match the standard HB.

I'd contact Upfront and see if they know.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:03 am

You should have a Build Specifications sheet with your guitar (in the black G&L large envelope with the COA).
It should list the bridge and neck pickups. Can you post a photo of the sheet?

BTW, there is no official Alnico bridge pickup option for the ASAT Classic Bluesboy either on the G&L website or in the 2019 Dealer Price List (which I think is the latest Price List from G&L Sales). I have seen atleast three posts of AC Bluesboys with an Alnico bridge pickup on
G&L's facebook page, so it must be one the "off-menu" options which dealers can order.

The G&L A2S4248N Alnico II magnet humbucker is the current factory stock neck pickup for the Bluesboy (since March 2016). It is listed as "Vintage style bucker 2-conductor lead. G&L's own version of the Seth Lover humbucker. The pickup has a chrome cover.".
We don't have a DC-R reading from the factory on this pickup, but I have a Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy Alnico LE with the same pickup. My DC-R reading is 7.96k.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am

Craig wrote:You should have a Build Specifications sheet with your guitar (in the black G&L large envelope with the COA).

BTW, there is no official Alnico bridge pickup option for the ASAT Classic Bluesboy either on the G&L website or in the 2019 Dealer Price List (which I think is the latest Price List from G&L Sales). I have seen atleast three posts of AC Bluesboys with an Alnico bridge pickup on
G&L's facebook page, so it must be one the "off-menu" options which dealers can order.

The G&L A2S4248N Alnico II magnet humbucker is the current factory stock neck pickup for the Bluesboy (since March 2016). It is listed as "Vintage style bucker 2-conductor lead. G&L's own version of the Seth Lover humbucker. The pickup has a chrome cover.".
We don't have a DC-R reading from the factory on this pickup, but I have a Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy Alnico LE with the same pickup. My DC-R reading is 7.96k.

G&L A2S4248N
That's what my spec sheet says.

Looks like our readings are different though.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:54 am

Pickup DCR readings are ball-park at best. Winders typically don't (and can't) count resistance as they go, so they aim at a certain number of winds around the bobbin. As a result, the DCR can vary pretty widely. DCR ohm measurements taken with a multimeter are also temp. sensitive so you'll get different readings in a warm room than a cold one etc. So varying between 7.4 and 8.4 should not be unusual.

I'm not a huge fan of neck humbuckers in general - but either 7.4 or 8.4 ought to be a 'vintage'/low output humbucker. Are you looking for more output?

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:08 pm

jbandy10 wrote:
Craig wrote:You should have a Build Specifications sheet with your guitar (in the black G&L large envelope with the COA).

G&L A2S4248N
That's what my spec sheet says.

Looks like our readings are different though.

I agree with Danley: "Pickup DCR readings are ball-park at best."

What is the reading on your bridge pickup and what pickup does the spec sheet say it is?

The pickups on my Tribute are made by the Indonesia factory to G&L's specs.
For the bridge pickup reading I get 6.70k.

The Fullerton factory built bridge pickup (G&L Alnico V Tele style single coil) is approx. 6.6k.
Reference post: List of pickups used in G&L guitars

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:38 pm

I don't think it's that off base for me to say that if I got a pickup that was wound in the Fullerton factory to a 8.4 spec but actually measures 7.4, something is wrong.

Pickups winds are supposed to vary by .1-.3 kohms. Not 1.0.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:01 pm

jbandy10 wrote:I don't think it's that off base for me to say that if I got a pickup that was wound in the Fullerton factory to a 8.4 spec but actually measures 7.4, something is wrong.

Pickups winds are supposed to vary by .1-.3 kohms. Not 1.0.

But you confirmed that the neck pickup in your guitar is the G&L A2S4248N not the AS4250B which has a 8.4k spec which you first listed
it as having. We don't have the factory specs for the A2S4248N but it will likely be similar to the SD Seth Lover which is 7.2k.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:25 pm

Craig (or someone) please correct me - I thought all the humbuckers were made in Indonesia, and all the singles (or at least the MFDs) made in the US? I’ve handled a lot of pickups, and I wouldn’t be alarmed by a difference of 1k vs. manufacturer claims. A lot of the best pickup makers have pickups that fluctuate greatly in range vs. published spec. within a single model; whether over time, or randomly. Coil wire can be stretched to greater tension, or slightly out of spec; even variances in the thickness of insulation can cause equal amounts of winds (which is what the manufacturer *actually* pays attention to) to have different resistance values comparing one pickup to the next. I’ve handled factory Seymour Duncan JBs that had ~2k differences. I can’t isolate to say whether it makes a huge difference, but it didn’t make or break the pickup and they were still quality pieces.

I’ve also had multimeters that we’re not totally calibrated, so safe to say at any given time I could almost make a pickup show whatever resistance I chose at the time. That said, 7 - 8k is a pretty low output pickup either way. As Craig said, I guess we’re pending on info about the actual pickup; maybe your DC reading is spot on. But I doubt having an extra 1k wound on it would turn it from something you’re not super excited about to something amazing. I’d look into a Duncan Jazz or Screamin’ Demon as possible replacement pickups with a bit more heat, that should still balance well with a single coil. Those are also ~8k as I recall, but use A5 magnets which add some strength to the signal. If your pickup is meant to emulate a Seth then it probably has a lower gauss a2 magnet.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:58 pm

Danley wrote:Craig (or someone) please correct me - I thought all the humbuckers were made in Indonesia, and all the singles (or at least the MFDs) made in the US? I’ve handled a lot of pickups, and I wouldn’t be alarmed by a difference of 1k vs. manufacturer claims. A lot of the best pickup makers have pickups that fluctuate greatly in range vs. published spec. within a single model; whether over time, or randomly. Coil wire can be stretched to greater tension, or slightly out of spec; even variances in the thickness of insulation can cause equal amounts of winds (which is what the manufacturer *actually* pays attention to) to have different resistance values comparing one pickup to the next. I’ve handled factory Seymour Duncan JBs that had ~2k differences. I can’t isolate to say whether it makes a huge difference, but it didn’t make or break the pickup and they were still quality pieces.

I’ve also had multimeters that we’re not totally calibrated, so safe to say at any given time I could almost make a pickup show whatever resistance I chose at the time. That said, 7 - 8k is a pretty low output pickup either way. As Craig said, I guess we’re pending on info about the actual pickup; maybe your DC reading is spot on. But I doubt having an extra 1k wound on it would turn it from something you’re not super excited about to something amazing. I’d look into a Duncan Jazz or Screamin’ Demon as possible replacement pickups with a bit more heat, that should still balance well with a single coil. Those are also ~8k as I recall, but use A5 magnets which add some strength to the signal. If your pickup is meant to emulate a Seth then it probably has a lower gauss a2 magnet.

All G&L pickups (MFD and Alnico) are made at the Fullerton Factory for the US instruments, with one exception: the G&L Blade pickups which are made by Gotoh to G&L specifications. See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

For the Tribute Series instruments pickups:
-The Tribute Series instruments (including Limited Editions/Exclusive Models) that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
-The single coil Alnico pickups (CLF-100) used in the Tribute Series Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and are made at the Fullerton factory.
-Other single coil Alnico pickups, humbuckers and P-90's used in the Tribute Series instruments are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

Note: Most of the Tribute Series MF/GC Exclusive Models have pickups which are made to G&L specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia, see: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Regarding the neck G&L humbucker pickup in OP's guitar:
It is the A2S4248N Alnico II magnet humbucker.
Note that these pickups are similar to mid ’50s spec with Alnico II magnets, 42 gauge wire with similar number of turns,
nickel cover, 2-conductor lead with braided ground shield. So, I would expect that the impedence reading would be around
the same as the SD Seth Lover humbucker. And as OP posted, the impedence reading of his pickup was 7.4k; which is close
to the SD pickup (7.2k).

Hope this helps.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:52 am

Craig wrote:
Danley wrote:Craig (or someone) please correct me - I thought all the humbuckers were made in Indonesia, and all the singles (or at least the MFDs) made in the US? I’ve handled a lot of pickups, and I wouldn’t be alarmed by a difference of 1k vs. manufacturer claims. A lot of the best pickup makers have pickups that fluctuate greatly in range vs. published spec. within a single model; whether over time, or randomly. Coil wire can be stretched to greater tension, or slightly out of spec; even variances in the thickness of insulation can cause equal amounts of winds (which is what the manufacturer *actually* pays attention to) to have different resistance values comparing one pickup to the next. I’ve handled factory Seymour Duncan JBs that had ~2k differences. I can’t isolate to say whether it makes a huge difference, but it didn’t make or break the pickup and they were still quality pieces.

All G&L pickups (MFD and Alnico) are made at the Fullerton Factory for the US instruments, with one exception: the G&L Blade pickups which are made by Gotoh to G&L specifications. See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

For the Tribute Series instruments pickups:
-The Tribute Series instruments (including Limited Editions/Exclusive Models) that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
-The single coil Alnico pickups (CLF-100) used in the Tribute Series Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and are made at the Fullerton factory.
-Other single coil Alnico pickups, humbuckers and P-90's used in the Tribute Series instruments are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

Note: Most of the Tribute Series MF/GC Exclusive Models have pickups which are made to G&L specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia, see: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Regarding the neck G&L humbucker pickup in OP's guitar:
It is the A2S4248N Alnico II magnet humbucker.
Note that these pickups are similar to mid ’50s spec with Alnico II magnets, 42 gauge wire with similar number of turns,
nickel cover, 2-conductor lead with braided ground shield. So, I would expect that the impedence reading would be around
the same as the SD Seth Lover humbucker. And as OP posted, the impedence reading of his pickup was 7.4k; which is close
to the SD pickup (7.2k).

Hope this helps.

This is helpful. Actually, the Seth Lover is 7.4K. So that makes even more sense.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:08 am

Would the factory recommended pickup height for the g&l a2s4248n humbucker be the same as that of the SD Seth Lover ie 3/32" ?

Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 am

STFYVR wrote:Would the factory recommended pickup height for the g&l a2s4248n humbucker be the same as that of the SD Seth Lover ie 3/32" ?

Yes, it is a good starting point and then raise or lower to your own preference.