Help me spend some money

Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:14 am

I have a couple of Tributes, an ASAT Classic and a Legacy. I'm thinking about maybe a real live genuine Fullerton sort of guitar. Right now mostly I'm just looking and reading and drooling about that one.

In the meantime, I'm contemplating a lower-budget item. I'd like to have a guitar handy in Keef tuning. Is there a suitable Tribute? Or should I go with a Squier or something?

Re: Help me spend some money

Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 am

Hi,

I'll volunteer. If you want the Keef tuning/sound, get a Bluesboy, either Tribute or MIA, and use Open G tuning.

edg

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:41 am

For the record I use my Asat for open G. Don't need no humbucker when you have large MFD's. It also takes about 9 seconds to tune three strings. Use your good guitars.

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:39 am

Yup, what Paul and Ed said. Either ASAT special or bluesboy! I guess you could go for the solamente/esquire vibe as well, but i always like having the option of the 2nd pickup, and the large coil MFD at the neck rules.

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 pm

I agree, you can probably make do with your current Tributes if you're not really wanting to buy anything much different than the ASAT you already own. But if you really want another guitar: Used US G&Ls are in the neighborhood of used Fender American guitars, meaning the second owner takes advantage of depreciation pretty well. By that token, used Tribute G&Ls actually get listed closer to the price they are new/retail in a lot of cases (but to add a final dimension - a brand new G&L Fullerton Standard series guitar is still priced about as low as a new US-made guitar can be nowadays, so there's that.)

So I think I've made a case for buying just about any new/used Tribute/US guitar above :D

As for Fenders? Again recent used US (American Special/Standard) are a bargain - but might as well get a used Fullerton-made G&L at that price. The Player/Vintera (new Mexican) instruments are better than Mexican instruments have ever been; but they're priced that way now. Old/used Mexican models can be hit/miss (I have one where the body is about seven pieces with veneers.) Squiers? Look at the Standard series or maybe VM if you find a deal; either is a notch down from a Tribute. The Bullet and Affinity Telecasters have improved, but things about them bug me/make them feel cheaper (rough neck finishes, some models aren't string-through, ceramic pickups etc.)

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:41 am

Yeah, if I go big, it’ll be G&L for sure. I’m still jonesing for a Fullerton, and I may well do it sometime.

But in the meantime, last night I gave in to temptation and ordered a bullet Squier tele from Musician’s Friend. They’re on sale for $129. At that price I can work on my fret-end-filing skills, use it as a modding platform, whang on it fearlessly. And it’s Lake Placid Blue. Hot diggity.

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:46 am

munchie99 wrote:Yeah, if I go big, it’ll be G&L for sure. I’m still jonesing for a Fullerton, and I may well do it sometime.

But in the meantime, last night I gave in to temptation and ordered a bullet Squier tele from Musician’s Friend. They’re on sale for $129. At that price I can work on my fret-end-filing skills, use it as a modding platform, whang on it fearlessly. And it’s Lake Placid Blue. Hot diggity.

I do have a preference for Bullets vs. Affinity Telecasters, since (I believe) Affinities now only come with a top-loader bridge while Bullets are usually string-through. Affinities also have a narrow nut. Congrats :) Most of the time I grab one of my Squiers to play around the house, to save my nicer guitars from getting dinged.

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:49 am

Yeah, that’s two things I liked—string-through and 42mm (I think). Also, Lake Placid Blue!