American ASAT with neck P-90 & bridge single coil

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:01 am

Hey there .... does anyone out there have an american ASAT with a P-90 in the neck and a single coil in the bridge ? If so, please post a picture and let me know your thoughts on the combo.

Randy

Re: American ASAT with neck P-90 & bridge single coil

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:23 am

When you say 'single coil' in the bridge, do you mean the small ASAT Classic single coil, or the large ASAT Special single coil?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:44 am

I mean a small single coil in an "ash tray" style bridge.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:53 am

This is a combo I'm trying strongly considering, except with a Tribute Bluesboy I'm hoping to buy when the next shipment of em hits the states. While its not the answer you are looking for, quite a few pickup manufacturers make humbucker sized P-90 drop ins.

From my reading the combo should work in concept if the bridge P-90 sound is what you are looking for. Look at the Schecter PT Special on YouTube as a reference point.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:29 pm

In the ASAT Classic series G&L uses an Alnico bridge pickup in the ASAT Classic Alnico, and a small format MFD in the Asat Classic. They also make an ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 that combines a P-90 neck pickup with the small format MFD in the bridge. You might look up the specs of the P90 on that guitar, or you might find one used. Another option is a Tribute ASAT Jr II that has P-90 pickups in both positions with a Tone Pros bridge. I have one and it is a very nice guitar that can be found for small money on the used market.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:50 pm

That model would be an ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90, with my take on it.

- Jos

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:22 am

bikegerm wrote:Hey there .... does anyone out there have an american ASAT with a P-90 in the neck and a single coil in the bridge ? If so, please post a picture and let me know your thoughts on the combo.

Randy

Here's mine. I think it's unique, a prototype or something. What looks like specks of dust on the black is actually metalflake. I absolutely love it; I bought it because it had a P-90 neck pickup and I'm glad I did!

--Al Evans

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:45 am

Very nice!