Help on neck specs for 1998 Legacy

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 pm

So my oldest and first G&L is a 1998 Legacy. I've always liked the neck on it, but never knew what the specs were. I just made some measurements with a set of calipers. My battery is dead so the digital readout is not working, so I used a scale that measures in 64ths. It's 1 5/8" at the nut and as close as I can tell it measures 0.812" at the 1st fret and 0.906" at the 12th fret. I'm sure those are not quite accurate, but even still I can't find any necks that are anywhere close to those specs listed as current options from the Custom Shop on the website.

It's not too far off from the #1a/Slim C at the 1st fret, but is thicker at the 12th.

It's very close to the #1b/Heritage 86, at the 12th fret, but is thicker at the 1st fret, but not quite as thick as the #1c/Modern U.

Does anyone know if this was this an actual option at that time that they stopped offering? Or perhaps a one off?

Re: Help on neck specs for 1998 Legacy

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Muleya wrote:So my oldest and first G&L is a 1998 Legacy. I've always liked the neck on it, but never knew what the specs were. I just made some measurements with a set of calipers. My battery is dead so the digital readout is not working, so I used a scale that measures in 64ths. It's 1 5/8" at the nut and as close as I can tell it measures 0.812" at the 1st fret and 0.906" at the 12th fret. I'm sure those are not quite accurate, but even still I can't find any necks that are anywhere close to those specs listed as current options from the Custom Shop on the website.

It's not too far off from the #1a/Slim C at the 1st fret, but is thicker at the 12th.

It's very close to the #1b/Heritage 86, at the 12th fret, but is thicker at the 1st fret, but not quite as thick as the #1c/Modern U.

Does anyone know if this was this an actual option at that time that they stopped offering? Or perhaps a one off?

See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?.

Hope this helps.

Re: Help on neck specs for 1998 Legacy

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:45 pm

Thanks...guess it must have been the #1 at that point. They don't give the thickness measurements, so no way to check those out, but the other specs do match...it is a 12" radius.