Seymour Duncan SSL 6 wiring for Legacy

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:27 am

Hello all, my first posting after using the forum as a great source for some years now. :)

I have an Indonesia Tribute Legacy with stock pickups. I want to replace the bridge pickup with something hotter and reading around the SD SSL6 seems like a good option. I've also read lots about phase and polarity differences when mixing pickups but most of these seem to refer to Fenders. As the original USA Legacys used to have SD SSLs in way back, can I assume that SD wiring/polarity is the same as G&L so I can juts go ahead and drop a 'normal' wound SSL6 in the bridge (not reverse wind) ? I can work out the phasing from the sound and just swap the wires if I get it wrong first time. It is the polarity I'm confused about with respect to hum cancelling.
Any advice appreciated including if you have better suggestions for a non humbucker hotter bridge.

Re: Seymour Duncan SSL 6 wiring for Legacy

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:57 pm

Check out the Seymour Duncan website wiring diagrams page: wiring-diagrams.

Hope this helps.

Re: Seymour Duncan SSL 6 wiring for Legacy

Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm

I hope I am in time but I found the SSL-6 in standard configuration was opposite of the CLF-100 bridge pickup in my USA Legacy and shared polarity with the middle pickup. To work around this one could use a RWRP SSL-6 in the bridge.

Alternatively what I did because I already had the non-RWRP SSL-6 was to move by middle pickup to the neck position, my bridge pickup to the middle position and when wiring in the SSL-6 swap the white and black wires from standard on their diagram.