Thoughts on this ebay ASAT Deluxe

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Just wondering what your thoughts are about this ASAT I'm looking at on Ebay. It looks sharp but from what I gather the neck may be a 1b which is a very slim neck. I'm comfortable with the neck on my Legacy but, I don't think I'd want a neck smaller than that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300446156845#description

Re: Thoughts on this ebay ASAT Deluxe

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:47 pm

rockworthy wrote:Just wondering what your thoughts are about this ASAT I'm looking at on Ebay. It looks sharp but from what I gather the neck may be a 1b which is a very slim neck. I'm comfortable with the neck on my Legacy but, I don't think I'd want a neck smaller than that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300446156845#description

Well, the seller has it listed as a spalted maple top, but it isn't. It's a quilted maple top. If you are not sure of the neck, ask the
seller to measure the neck depth at the 1st and 12th frets and see where they measure against the G&L Guitar Optionspage.

The seller seems to be playing up the "spalted" maple top and has likely increased his price based upon this faultly notion.
It will be interesting to see if he gets anywhere near his BiN price.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 am

Doesn't look like he's in a hurry to change the info on the auction page. A couple people told him about the top already. Thanks for your input.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am

I told him he told me it looks like spalt as there are 'pen lines' running top to bottom. I then explained to him that is the grain as quilt/flame is not the actual grain, and they typically run it in that direction AND game him pictures of mine (similar wavy pattern, but on a flame top)

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Sold for $799. Was that a good deal? I'm just wondering because I'm looking to buy an ASAT either used or new If I can get it at a great price.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:09 am

In my area an ASAT deluxe costs over double that new so I would say that was a good price. A double HB ASAT kind of defeats the purpose to me though.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 pm

I was watching this auction and think it is a fantastic deal! I think some folks got too caught up in which word best described the pattern in the maple top. Who cares!? This was a steal!!! - ed

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:47 am

zapcosongs wrote:I was watching this auction and think it is a fantastic deal! I think some folks got too caught up in which word best described the pattern in the maple top. Who cares!? This was a steal!!! - ed

I don't like quilt tops anyway :lol:

Or need more humbuckers