ASAT differences.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:12 am

The catalog is kinda vague, my dealer is an hour away,and I tried a quick search and didnt really see anything. I'd like to know the difference between the ASAT models such as the Classic, S3, Bluesboys,Deluxe, Specials etc. I'd just like to know a little more about each of them before I set out to listen and play them all if I can manage to find them Thanks :mrgreen:

Re: ASAT differences.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:58 am

a lot of the times it is just the pickups. The Specials and so forth have a difference bridge (see better). That is about it really. There are tonnes of sound clips on the G&L site.

IIRC is it something like this:
Classic - closest to true tele, classic bridge
Bluesboy - classic with a bucker in the neck
S3 - classic with 3 single coils
Deluxe - 2 Humbucker, saddle lock bridge
Special - 2 overwound single coil, saddle lock bridge
Z-3 - special with Z coil pickups.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:38 pm

rockworthy wrote:The catalog is kinda vague, my dealer is an hour away,and I tried a quick search and didnt really see anything. I'd like to know the difference between the ASAT models such as the Classic, S3, Bluesboys,Deluxe, Specials etc. I'd just like to know a little more about each of them before I set out to listen and play them all if I can manage to find them Thanks :mrgreen:

Review the two ASAT lists we have in the G&L Knowledgebase G&L Questionssubforum.

I would like to make a correction to sirmyghin's post: The ASAT Special does not have overwound pickups. Perhaps he meant the ASAT Super or the 29th Anniversary model, which
do have overwound MFD pickups.

Also, you should check the main G&L website for the currently available ASAT models. You had mentioned the ASAT S-3, which had a versy short build life: 1998-2000.
See Production List of G&L Instruments, also in the G&L Knowledgebase.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Craig,
I mentioned the S 3 because I thought thats what the current ASAT with the three pickups is called. I think it has two singles and an HB? My dealer just got one in and wants me to drive in and have a look at it. thanks for the post. I'll check them all out.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:45 pm

rockworthy wrote:Craig,
I mentioned the S 3 because I thought thats what the current ASAT with the three pickups is called. I think it has two singles and an HB? My dealer just got one in and wants me to drive in and have a look at it. thanks for the post. I'll check them all out.

That would be the ASAT "Classic S". It's a Custom Creations Special Build and a very popular model.
IThe pickup combination is the ASAT Classic set with an S-500 middle pickup.

Check it out, it might be just what you are looking for. :searching:
Last edited by Craig on Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix links