S-500 +

Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:35 am

Just acquired an S-500 Gloss Black with Gold hardware, Birds eye maple neck and locking tuners. Trying to find the year of manufacture. Also the model...is this an S-500? Signature? Deluxe? How do I know what bridge is on it? The body wood? etc.
CLF34344

Thanks...

Re: S-500 +

Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:48 pm

According to some similar numbers before and after yours (in the registry) I'd guess it's a 2004 or 2005. If you have any plans to take the neck off there will likely be a date stamp there and there may be some information in the pickup cavity if you have any plans on removing the pickguard. If not fixed it's likely the Dual Fulcrum (DF) Vibrato System. Does it have a toggle switch expander or push-pull on the middle tone knob? I haven't found it yet but I believe the deluxe may have come with push-pull rather than the toggle but I don't know if it could have been either. The Deluxe's I'm seeing have figured body tops not solid colors but I'm not sure what options were available for each.

This is a 2001 catalog showing an S-500 vs S-500 Deluxe on page 13. Page 25 indicates the S-500 *at least in 2001* came with Alder body and the Deluxe had a figured maple top over basswood body.

Post some pictures and people can help tell you what they see.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:54 am

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I suspected 2004-2006 as the other guitars/studio gear was of this time frame. I also, have only found the Deluxe with the flamed maple body - however all the other items on mine appear to match a Deluxe. The Gold hardware, locking tuners, birds eye maple neck etc. The price list went from $16xx - 28xx so I'm thinking maybe the solid color ones were at the bottom $$.

Mine has the toggle and the center tone knob does raise, but does not stay up. When I think of a push/pull, I think of the knob staying up or down. The volume and the last tone knob do not move up/down at all, so the fact that there is some movement in the center knob must indicate something. Just not sure what.

The review I read on a Deluxe, mentioned even the truss rod adjustment head was gold. Mine is also. However - it appears the Deluxe came minus a pick guard. So - mine may be a standard S-500 with some Deluxe appointments.

This guitar was part of an estate where the widow was "moving" her husband's studio gear, including several guitars, an "F" 6 string bass, keybords, and many recording items (mics, stands, digital mixer, speakers, etc). After assisting her obtain buyers, this was my "payment". Never had an "S" style guitar and this is the only one in my stable. Really enjoying the tone. The MFD's are wonderful.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:04 pm

That's a nice looking guitar. The toggle switch allows you to engage all three pickups at once or the neck and bridge together. I can't think why the tone knob would also raise but not lock into any position. Maybe it is an issue with the pot.

David

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 pm

I usually don't like gold hardware but that is a thing of beauty. I wonder if there are any clues on that hang tag. If you post a close up of that tag perhaps Craig will be able to decode some abbreviations. He's pretty good at that. That looks like a tag from G&L not necessarily the dealer but could be either I'd imagine. I see the B/W/B on there for the pickguard. I can't make out the other words though.

I have a Tribute S-500 (made in Indonesia and it's a factory 2nd) that I can't put down. I try to play the USA Legacy I have but I just go back to the S-500.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:29 am

repairs@glguitars.com Memo will tell you everything he knows. At that age it's probably very minimal.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:41 am

Gotta add to the kudos on that S-500, she’s a beauty! :happy0065:

I’m sure with G&L support and your general knowledge the switch will be fixed. Man, between the gold hardware and black paint that’s hard to beat. I have heard black guitars sound better… :evilgrin:

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:29 am

That is a really nice looking S-500. You won't find many like it.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:19 am

Wow! :thumbup: :thumbup: That is so classy.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:46 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Here is an enlargement of the tag. Any insight is appreciated.

Yes, I am enjoying this guitar immensely. Those MFD pickups have a "bell like" "chimey" ring to them on arpeggio chords. Wonderful add for my 50s/60s sound.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:35 pm

Daniel50s60s wrote:Thank you for the feedback. Here is an enlargement of the tag. Any insight is appreciated.

Yes, I am enjoying this guitar immensely. Those MFD pickups have a "bell like" "chimey" ring to them on arpeggio chords. Wonderful add for my 50s/60s sound.

This hang tag was done at the factory prior to starting the build.

The top number is the serial number without the CLF prefix.
TGN stands for Tinted Glossy Neck aka GOT which stands for Gun Oil Tint which hand rubbed over the neck and Maple fretboard. (option)
GoldHw stands for Gold plated hardware. (option)
B/W/B stands for 3-ply Black pickguard. (option)
The blsck felt pen marking is the initials of the craftperson who completed the final assembly to make the complete instrument.
The bottom numbers is the Sales Order number associated with the order.
BE stands for Birds Eye Maple neck. (option)

Are there any other marking on the back of the hang tag?

The body pickup routes, In this case the bathtub route, likely has a sticker with more details of the body such as body finish, and the neck pocket will also have
a sticker with neck details such as neck size and radius, type of tuners, etc.

Hope this helps.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:51 pm

Craig - much appreciate your information. There is no other writing or info on the back of the tag. Simply plain white. There was/is an additional pick guard in the envelope, however it appears to be a matte finish.

I have no plans to disassemble this (at this time) and you have given me a strong base from which to understand this guitar. The previous owner had several "nicer/custom" guitars. This was the least expensive on the re-sale market and actually the one I most wanted (if available). Upon disposing of the estate, the widow offered me this guitar as a "Thank you" for my efforts.

It joins some other "nice" guitars in my stable, and I am grateful for this site and those who have shared their comments.

Daniel50s60s

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:42 pm

Daniel50s60s wrote:Craig - much appreciate your information. There is no other writing or info on the back of the tag. Simply plain white. There was/is an additional pick guard in the envelope, however it appears to be a matte finish.

I have no plans to disassemble this (at this time) and you have given me a strong base from which to understand this guitar. The previous owner had several "nicer/custom" guitars. This was the least expensive on the re-sale market and actually the one I most wanted (if available). Upon disposing of the estate, the widow offered me this guitar as a "Thank you" for my efforts.

It joins some other "nice" guitars in my stable, and I am grateful for this site and those who have shared their comments.

Daniel50s60s

That extra pickguard still has the plastic scratch protection layer which makes it look like a matte finish. If you peel away some of the top plastic layer you will likely find a shiny pickguard underneath.

ChrisPbass wrote:repairs@glguitars.com Memo will tell you everything he knows. At that age it's probably very minimal.

You might contact Memo and ask him to look up the factory log info on this guitar (CLF34344). Ask him for the various options were included and make sure to ask him for the completion date too.

Here's some more info to help narrow the build date:

In March 15, 2006, G&L removed Bird's Eye Maple necks and Gold hardware from the options list on their website.
March 15, 2006: Bird's eye maple is not being offered at this time. We expect to resume offering bird's eye maple in Fall 2006.

March 15, 2006: Gold hardware is not being offered at this time. We expect to resume offering gold hardware in Fall 2006.

Hope this helps.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:54 am

Thank you.

Yes the Pickguard does have a plastic film on it. It is indeed gloss black underneath w/ a white border.

I will reach out to Memo. Truly appreciate the feedback and suggestions...

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:50 pm

ChrisPbass wrote:repairs@glguitars.com Memo will tell you everything he knows. At that age it's probably very minimal.

Received a reply from Memo...
pretty cool backstory...

This guitar was part of the G&L Showcase at NAMM 2005.

I updated the registry. Oct 2004 build date. Black. S-500. Gold Hardware. Birds Eye Maple, 1 5/8" nut. 12" radius.