Modern Classic necks and string falloff

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:47 am

I raised this issue before, but unfortunately it persists. I played 7 Fullerton Deluxe G&Ls with the Modern Classic necks yesterday at a local dealer, and ALL SEVEN had issues with high-E string falloff. These are are gorgeous guitars in pretty much every way except this. If I hammer/pull the high E, the string often slides off the edge of the fret. This does not happen on any of the other G&L necks I play. It doesn’t happen at all on Fenders. It makes the Modern Classic an impossibility for me, which means the universe of G&L guitars available to me is considerably shrunken.

G&L needs to fix this issue-as it exists with EVERY Modern Classic neck I have ever played.

I hate to post this, because I love my G&Ls so much. But my frustration has reached a point that I had to say something. I am not saying every player would notice this- some may play more precisely than I. But it is NOTa problem with the occasional guitar, or with my technique; it is endemic to the Modern Classic neck.

Re: Modern Classic necks and string falloff

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:28 pm

Do you have one or just testing them? If you have one try loosening up the neck screws and putting some down pressure where the neck joins the body, while in the RH playing position with body on a solid surface, then tighten back up. This may bias the strings slightly to the bass side just enough to help with your playing style.

I'm not sure I've played one with this neck profile but I would think the opposite would be true given the width of the board and the narrower string spacing.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:10 am

It isn't an issue on either of mine with that neck.

Is your vibrato technique correct?

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:34 am

i have 2 G&L guitars with modern classic necks, a '15 ASAT Classic Bluesboy, and a '17 ASAT Special.
The Bluesboy had neck alignment issues that were relatively easily corrected by a "business card" neck shim toward the back of the neck pocket, and by loosening the neck plate screws, applying pressure on the neck in the direction of the upper bout of the body and retightening the screws.
The Special has perfect neck alignment and no issues. I am a fan of the modern classic neck profile, one of my fav's.

Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:57 pm

johnnyqb wrote:I raised this issue before, but unfortunately it persists. I played 7 Fullerton Deluxe G&Ls with the Modern Classic necks yesterday at a local dealer, and ALL SEVEN had issues with high-E string falloff. These are are gorgeous guitars in pretty much every way except this. If I hammer/pull the high E, the string often slides off the edge of the fret. This does not happen on any of the other G&L necks I play. It doesn’t happen at all on Fenders. It makes the Modern Classic an impossibility for me, which means the universe of G&L guitars available to me is considerably shrunken.

G&L needs to fix this issue-as it exists with EVERY Modern Classic neck I have ever played.

I hate to post this, because I love my G&Ls so much. But my frustration has reached a point that I had to say something. I am not saying every player would notice this- some may play more precisely than I. But it is NOTa problem with the occasional guitar, or with my technique; it is endemic to the Modern Classic neck.

Tell us about the other G&L necks you play which you don't have this problem. Perhaps you are one of the few who cannot get along with the Modern Classic neck profile.
Perhaps the neck profile is too thin and/or the nut width is not suited for your hand or playing style. See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase on the various neck profiles
G&L has had over the years up to the present day: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:15 am

I have two guitars with the Modern Classic, a 2015 Comanche and 2022 Legacy HSS. The Comanche does not have this issue, but I noticed it fairly quickly on my new Legacy, and even checked the spec sheet to see if the stock strings had a .09 high E. It's not a huge deal. I've adjusted to it, and maybe it can be addressed in some way as mentioned above. I love the neck overall, especially the 12" radius which I greatly prefer to the 9.5" on my Comanche.

Interestingly, G&L's description of the Modern Classic neck says the 1 11/16" nut width paired with 1 5/8" string spacing and "generous edge roll" provides "superb comfort without string falloff," so the neck was designed in part to avoid this issue.

Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:20 am

The slim C is my fave— and I have had no string falloff issues. Yes it is indeed ironic that the MC neck was designed to prevent falloff. I love the shape of the neck but just keep seeing this issue.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:53 am

I've taken my 2022 Legacy to my local tech to fix a wiring problem, and also asked him to try to address the neck alignment. Unfortunately, my closest G&L dealer is a very strange place with extremely limited hours, and my preferred dealer is inconvenient, so I'm not getting it serviced under warranty. I'll provide an update about the string falloff issue.

BTW, when I placed my Comanche and Legacy necks side-by-side, I could see that the Legacy's high E string is closer to the fretboard's edge. Again, it is playable for me, but it isn't ideal so I may as well get it fixed if possible.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:06 pm

I got my Legacy back the other day, and my tech used the technique described above of loosening the neck screws, applying pressure to the neck, and re-tightening the screws. It definitely helped, so I'm not planning to raise the issue with G&L.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:25 pm

Nedmundo wrote:I got my Legacy back the other day, and my tech used the technique described above of loosening the neck screws, applying pressure to the neck, and re-tightening the screws. It definitely helped, so I'm not planning to raise the issue with G&L.

This neck alignment adjustment is covered by String alignment issues and a simple cure post located in the G&L Technical Questions and Tips sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase Forum.

Hope this helps.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:51 pm

I've been looking at new guitars lately and it seems all new G&Ls have the modern classic neck?

A few years back when I bought my BB90 I found a number available with the 1 5/8 width- my preference - now none.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:24 am

mutts wrote:I've been looking at new guitars lately and it seems all new G&Ls have the modern classic neck?

A few years back when I bought my BB90 I found a number available with the 1 5/8 width- my preference - now none.

See this post: New G&L U.S. Model Categories .... Also, note that the Option Order category has recently been renamed to "Build to Order".
This is where you can order finishes, neck sizes, and all the other standard option for the various US models.
Also, check this post out about the new in 2018 G&L Custom Shop: The New G&L Custom Shop.

And, check out this post to see the current Specifications and Options: Current G&L Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.