Replacing the bridge on a ASAT Bluesboy

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 am

I have an ASAT bluesboy. I would like to install a Gotoh Modern bridge on it to replace the standard "ashtray" bridge. I was hoping that someone here had experience with this?? Thanks, Lefty ;)

Re: Replacing the bridge on a ASAT Bluesboy

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:20 pm

I just replaced the bridge on my ASAT with one from Glendale. It's a straight swap for any standard telecaster style bridge from any company, as far as I know

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:10 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:I just replaced the bridge on my ASAT with one from Glendale. It's a straight swap for any standard telecaster style bridge from any company, as far as I know

Thanks! I'm trying to replace the "ashtray" with a GOTOH:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Gotoh_Modern_Bridge_for_Tele.html?tab=Details#details This one looks like it will probably fit..

You've got a great collection of G&L guitars! 8-)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Lefty - Why do you want to change the bridge on your ASAT? Is it because of the edges getting in the way of your picking? I think that the Gotoh bride would be very,very similar to the G&L Standard bridge. They both have 6 saddles and I can't imagine much of a positive tonal difference.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:40 am

Yes! The edges do seem to get in the way at times - especially when strumming near the bridge.. Hopefully, the tone wouldn't be adversely affected? 8-)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 pm

One thing you'll definitely have to keep in mind is that your current bridge has a four-screw, vintage-style mounting system. The Gotoh bridge from your link will not work. Most modern bridge replacements currently use a three-screw system. If you're determined to replace the bridge, you'll need to find one with a "vintage" bridge plate. It also appears as though you're looking to keep a 6-saddle system, but I think they're out there. I'll look around a bit.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 pm

I believe something like this will work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gotoh-Chrome-Bridge ... 5888bb78fc

or this....probably the same thing:
http://www.allparts.com/Chrome-6-Saddle ... 30-010.htm

The direct replacement model of this particular Gotoh bridge is "Gotoh GTC202." It should fit a G&L with no problems.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Hey Jim - I took a close look at the specs on the Gotoh Modern bridge (STEW-MAC page) - The diagram with the measurements on it shows 4 mouning holes. All the measurements look correct. :?

As always, being a lefty complicates things...

Thanks for your input!

Lefty

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:45 pm

You're absolutely right! When I read "Modern" on the website, I just assumed it was a 3-screw modern system. The title should probably read something like "Modern Tele Bridge for vintage bridge systems. Sorry about the confusion. One thing you'll notice, though, is that the bridge will be considerably longer than your existing one by perhaps about 1/2" or so.

Can you get this in a lefty bridge? or do you just play a righty setup?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:53 am

Jim - Yes, the Gotoh "modern" bridge is available in the left handed version; only in chrome.
You're right, the gotoh modern bridge is longer than the standard vintage on my Bluesboy - but the measurements look like it will fit without modifying the pickguard. 8-)
All of my guitars are LH now, although I did learn to play RH guitars upside down a long time ago - which I regret... :lol:

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:58 pm

I just did this with the bridge from Stew-mac, and it sounds fantastic. It actually really helped the low end of the guitar, and the ASAT just rings. I no longer have a mushy neck pick up. The best 50 bucks I have spent since I bought the ASAT.
Hope this helps...

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:32 am

Thanks bcat - I haven't replaced the bridge on my ASAT yet, but it's good to hear that your bridge replacement resulted in a positive result! :D