Advice Please-Dark Stains On Fingertips From Playing US ASAT

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:42 pm

I recently purchased a 2021 Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic Bluesboy. I really enjoy every aspect of this guitar but there is one issue I'm having i could use some helpful guidance on. I noticed that after playing just 15-20 minutes, there are visible dark ink-like stains on my finger tips from playing on the Caribbean rosewood fingerboard. After discussing on a G&L FB group with other owners, I was advised to clean the neck thoroughly with F One Fretboard oil and put on a new pair of strings which is exactly what I did (XT D'addario 10s). However the problem seems to persist. Can someone tell me why this is and what I can do to fix the issue. This is a problem I see occurring on cheap international-made guitars but would not expect with a US made G&L. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Re: Advice Please-Dark Stains On Fingertips From Playing US

Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:59 pm

Hi ddk1,

Sorry to hear the dark finger problem. Was this new or used purchase? From what I’ve learned, dark residue can be a result of dye used on the rosewood, Will differ to Craig or someone at G&L if additional dye was used on the Caribbean rosewood fingerboard. Some ways to remove excess dye are like the F one oil, but using mineral oil, fluffy rags and elbow grease can get help remove excess dye. May take a couple of times. Have also seen lighter fluid suggested and wiped off thoroughly then an oil after, but never used it myself.

Sealing it with a light minwax stain could be helpful. Clean very well, apply stain, wipe off and let sit overnight. There may be some residue at first but will go away.

I read where “Fast Fret” oil can cause this as well. Has that been used?

Hope some of this helps, let us know how it progresses.

Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:37 am

ddk1 wrote:I recently purchased a 2021 Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic Bluesboy. I really enjoy every aspect of this guitar but there is one issue I'm having i could use some helpful guidance on. I noticed that after playing just 15-20 minutes, there are visible dark ink-like stains on my finger tips from playing on the Caribbean rosewood fingerboard. After discussing on a G&L FB group with other owners, I was advised to clean the neck thoroughly with F One Fretboard oil and put on a new pair of strings which is exactly what I did (XT D'addario 10s). However the problem seems to persist. Can someone tell me why this is and what I can do to fix the issue. This is a problem I see occurring on cheap international-made guitars but would not expect with a US made G&L. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Before I say anything else - if something is coming off your fretboard and onto your fingers from just playing the guitar - at least you know for sure, that the problem is with some sort of residue - and that this reside can come off when rubbed.

Hence a liberal application of elbow-grease would be the least intrusive solution - and the first thing I would try.

That being said, It sounds like the fretboard was dyed darker at some point. DIY-ers (and even some manufacturers) do this to make a lighter Rosewood fretboard look like ebony. if that is the case, then the most likely scenario is that whoever dyed the fret board didn't do a good enough job wiping the dye off the fretboard when it was applied.

Dyes like this consist of a solvent (the carrier) and the pigment (the color). When applied, the dye soaks into the wood, then when the solvent evaporates it leaves behind the colored pigment. For this reason, when the dye is applied, it is typically applied with a cloth, then the excess is thoroughly wiped off - or even wiped 'dry'.

In the case where too much dye is used, or where the dye was applied wet and left to dry (without being sufficiently wiped off after being applied) - the solvent in the dye evaporates on the surface of the fretboard, leaves behind the pigment as a tacky residue that never fully dries.

I've heard that some have used mineral spirits (a few drops on a cloth) to buff the residual pigment out. I expect that would work, but I've never tried it myself. I would want to try it first on the thinnest fret - and very lightly at first to see whether that was going to work well or not. I'd be more worried about it working TOO well, than not well enough.

If the residue is (as I suspect) the pigment left from a dye job - then removing it will make your fretboard a lighter color. Better to understand that up front before you try anything you might regret.

Let us know what you come up with.

Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:51 am

ddk1 wrote:I recently purchased a 2021 Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic Bluesboy. I really enjoy every aspect of this guitar but there is one issue I'm having i could use some helpful guidance on. I noticed that after playing just 15-20 minutes, there are visible dark ink-like stains on my finger tips from playing on the Caribbean rosewood fingerboard. After discussing on a G&L FB group with other owners, I was advised to clean the neck thoroughly with F One Fretboard oil and put on a new pair of strings which is exactly what I did (XT D'addario 10s). However the problem seems to persist. Can someone tell me why this is and what I can do to fix the issue. This is a problem I see occurring on cheap international-made guitars but would not expect with a US made G&L. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

I have some questions about your guitar:
Did you buy this new from a G&L dealer or was it bought as a used guitar?

Can you post photos of the back of the headstock showing the serial number and other laser etched notation?
Also, please post a closeup of the fretboard, too.

Do you have the factory Specification sheet and can you post a photo of it?
Does it list the model name as "Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic Bluesboy" or just "ASAT Classic Bluesboy"?

I saw the photo you posted of this guitar on the G&L fansite facebook page and the fretboard looks to me like Rosewood (Indian Rosewood) instead of
Caribbean Rosewood which would possibly indicate that the guitar was a Build To Order model instead of a Fullerton Deluxe model.

I am not aware of the fretboard wood types of Caribbean Rosewood nor Indian Rosewood which G&L uses as having been dyed by their source supplier.
I do believe that the standard Ebony fretboard wood they use has been dyed by their current source supplier but have not hear of anyone having
problems with residue on the Ebony fretboards.

I sent your post to Memo (G&L Service Manager) and asked him what he thought about this and what type of maintenance should be done on
Caribbean Rosewood. I would like to send him the serial number of this guitar so that he can look it up in the Factory Log for details of the build and
confirm the fretboard wood type.

Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:04 am

I just heard back from Memo:

Hi Craig,
Thanks for the heads up, I replied directly to the customer on this issue, all the best.

Let us know how it was worked out.

I am still curious as to which model you have and which fretboard wood type it has.

Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:40 pm

One thing to try is getting some surgical scrub brushes. They are inexpensive on Amazon. Then use a nice, mild, household cleaner and the scrub brush to thoroughly clean the fingerboard. Alternate with dry shop towels to wipe everything off. White shop towels are nice because you can see the grime, if any. I use grain alcohol on mine but I'm hesitant to suggest it to others. If not careful it could potentially damage finishes. Just be careful with any solvent you put on a fingerboard avoiding the neck finish. The fingerboard itself you can always oil back up once cleaned.

I don't know if the "cleaning oils" would really work to get rid of a contaminant very well without just covering it up or mixing with it.

Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:49 am

I logged in this morning just to see if ddk1 had found a reason for and a solution to his inky residue problem.

I hope he returns to let us know how things worked out.