Is OLS body depth standard for semi-hollow ASATs?

Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:24 pm

I recall announcements that it was standard for all solid body guitars. But, I have searched a bit and can't find a similar statement for semi-hollow or thinline ASATs. Thanks in advance for the info.

Re: Is OLS body depth standard for semi-hollow ASATs?

Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:38 pm

jackstraw wrote:I recall announcements that it was standard for all solid body guitars. But, I have searched a bit and can't find a similar statement for semi-hollow or thinline ASATs. Thanks in advance for the info.

Yes, on all ASAT guitars and ASAT basses.

Starting in Febuary 2017, the Original Leo Spec Body Depth (1.625” mill-depth) is standard on all ASAT guitars and ASAT basses.

See reference post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum: February 1-August 31, 2017 Body Options Other.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:58 pm

Thank you so much for the quick reply Craig. I guess I'm also wondering whether this matters. Seems clear that it doesn't matter for solid body guitars, but does it matter at all (even unplugged) for semi-hollow guitars?

Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:18 pm

jackstraw wrote:Thank you so much for the quick reply Craig. I guess I'm also wondering whether this matters. Seems clear that it doesn't matter for solid body guitars, but does it matter at all (even unplugged) for semi-hollow guitars?

I do remember that they explictly said solid-body ASAT guitars and ASAT basses when the OLS option was added.
By the time they made this option a Standard feature in 2017, they included the Semi-Hollow ASAT models.

I found this 2015 ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow listed on Reverb with the OLS option listed in the factory Custom Build Specification sheet:
g-and-l-asat-classic-bluesboy-semi-hollow. The ASAT Classic Thinline models also have the
OLS bodies and they have more wood removed than the ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow models.
I have not heard anyone comment on those models being neck heavy.
The first run of ASAT Classic Thinline Limited Run model has Alder bodies and they don't have any issues that I am aware of.