My new ASAT Classic S

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:12 pm

G.A.S. got the best of me .Picked up a brand new USA G&L ASAT Classic S today.
The color is blonde that is slightly on the transparent side so you can see the wood grain. The Alder body is contoured on the back and front. THe neck is Hard Rock Maple with a gloss finish. I tried out many ASAT's today and this one spoke to me.

Re: My new ASAT Classic S

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:24 pm

A great case of GAS! A white blond, one of my faves. Is it a Swamp Ash grain or Alder? I have a Classic S that I picked up in an estate sale. It is pristine and I didn't know what it was until I did some research on this site. I also have a similar Tele, a Plus with that same config. The S is a sweet guitar. That should have taken care of your GAS for little while!- Darwin

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:04 pm

darwinohm wrote:A great case of GAS! A white blond, one of my faves. Is it a Swamp Ash grain or Alder? I have a Classic S that I picked up in an estate sale. It is pristine and I didn't know what it was until I did some research on this site. I also have a similar Tele, a Plus with that same config. The S is a sweet guitar. That should have taken care of your GAS for little while!- Darwin

I'm pretty sure it's Alder. I know the Blonde is a premium finish but the dealer didn't say the body was ash.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 pm

rockworthy wrote:
darwinohm wrote:A great case of GAS! A white blond, one of my faves. Is it a Swamp Ash grain or Alder? I have a Classic S that I picked up in an estate sale. It is pristine and I didn't know what it was until I did some research on this site. I also have a similar Tele, a Plus with that same config. The S is a sweet guitar. That should have taken care of your GAS for little while!- Darwin

I'm pretty sure it's Alder. I know the Blonde is a premium finish but the dealer didn't say the body was ash.

It look's like Swamp Ash to me. I zoomed in on your pictures and can see the classic grain pattern of Swamp Ash. Alder has a very straight tight grain.
Perhaps you can take a close up shot which clearly shows the grain showing thru and post it.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Very nice rockworthy. I'm still happy with my Classic S after 2.5 years. That blonde finish is LOVELY!

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:24 pm

It's not easy trying to get a pic of woodgrain. This is the best I could do.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Yes, I am sure that that's Swamp Ash.

Thanks for posting the additional photos.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:23 am

Craig wrote:Yes, I am sure that that's Swamp Ash.

Thanks for posting the additional photos.

I'll go change it in the registry. thanks.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 am

I had a standard ASAT Classic modded to this configuration with two full size strat pickups in 1993. It's still my first guitar every week, and I've got a second to match.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:37 am

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations! - ed