NBGD FMS

Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:43 am

New Bass Guitar Day For My Son

My son's birthday was a couple of days ago and a five string bass has been on his wish list for a while. He plays a L2000 in some of his college bands but for the jazz band he said he could really use a 5 string to keep from all the de-tuning to reach the low B. So, off I went looking and between a G&L JB-5 and a Fender American Ultra Jazz Bass V 5 the G&L won out! I was able to try both and the G&L neck feels better and tone accomplished everything I could want. (luckily when he played it he loved it) The Fender does have more switches and buzzers and bells, but his school color is red and he likes a rosewood neck better than a maple so this ticked all buttons. When he saw it, BIG smiles and when he played it he was doing everything from jazz lines to funk string snapping. I may be a G&L fan boy, but I will tell ya, these basses are sweet and pictures don't do this bass justice! :alright: With James now at the custom shop may look at getting the matching headstock just for fun!

Steve Araujo's review from Live at Leo's was a big help. If yer thinking 5 string bass, this will scratch the itch. HUGE kudos to Steve for the great review! :thumbup:

phpBB [video]

Enough of this, here's some pics from the shop I bought new from. Lane Music Nashville, highly recommended.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Re: NBGD FMS

Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:49 am

Top notch gift and happy the G&L won out.
Groove on son....
Shug

Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:49 pm

Hey Shug,

Much appreciated. G&L always seems to come out on top.

Will post pics and update soon. Scheduled to play January 6, should have live shots from then.

Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:08 pm

The JB is a fantastic bass. Just love that sound. More "classic" IMO compared to the L-2000 die to the Alnico pups. I had to get used to the mix control a bit but that is something you learn fast enough.

Great acquisition. I hope he has fun with it.

- Jos

Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:05 pm

Thanks Jos,

Played yesterday and still loving it! :thumbup:

He said this really lets him play some of the funk based grooves better than the L2000.