2010 G&L Legacy or Used 70's Fender Strat?

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:50 pm

Hi There!

I´m flying from South America to NY in october. This is a dream come true for me. I dont have a lot of money. Maybe u$s 2.000.

I dont know what to choose: a new legacy or look for a used 70´s Fender strat at NY shops

Would you help me to decide?

Thanks!

M.

Re: 2010 G&L Legacy or Used 70's Fender Strat?

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:26 am

In my opinion, if you get a new Legacy you are certain of getting a wonderful, high-quality guitar. If you want to buy a used 70's Fender you need to be prepared to try a lot of guitars to find one that really suits you as far as tone, playability, cosmetics, and originality. Some people like a new guitar, some prefer one that's already broken in. I prefer used myself, and I'd buy a used G&L over a used '70s Strat any time.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:27 am

I owned several Fender guitars (including a couple from the mid and late 70s) and each was flawed in its own way. A recent G&L would kill just about any Fender in my opinion.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:56 am

Old bands guitarist played a 70's strat, never grew on me, neck felt crowded and narrow. And as said, you will need to sift heavily. I would go with the legacy.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:42 am

I've owned both and preferred my 1972 Strat over the Legacy by a long shot, but early 70's Strats are at or over 3 grand now a days and as Jonl said you have to play a lot of them to find the right one. used Strats scare the crap out me with all the parts flying around on the net you never know what the hell your getting into as far as origionally. If I had 2 grand to work with I'd buy a used legacy and a used S-500 and still have some money left over for strings and beer.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:28 pm

OK

Thanks for the help!

Because Im a newie with fender "vintage" I will buy a new legacy for 1200 and save the money for a next asat semi hollow

Regards, M.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:05 pm

Superb Tim!

Thanks for the advice, and the clear words.

I will buy the legacy, also your shop has one used but for the 400 diference I will go with a new one,

Thanks again

M.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:15 pm

I had a 1960 Strat, and to my mind the Legacy is a better guitar. My old Strat was a good one, but the Legacy has better hardware, better controls--and the 12" radius fingerboard certainly fits my style better.

You might be able to find a used Made In USA guitar, and save yourself a bunch of money.

I think the 70's Strat will be out of your budget. However, if you have your heart set on a Fender, you might try looking for one of the Fender Custom Shop reproductions. The Relics are the most beat up, then the lightly aged Closet Classics, and then the NOS guitars that look like they came right from the factory. These are very good guitars, and you might be able to find one in your budget.

I sold my 1960 Strat back in 1990, after having it for 20 years. It was a great guitar, but for me...the G&Ls are better.

Bill

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Not much to add; except I am new here and this is a lot of solid, clearheaded advice for an open board! Nice.

And, enjoy your new guitar!

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Better news!

I going for the 30th anniversary edition, that has 3 free improvements: schaller keys, better material tremolo and deluxe hard case,

i will post the photos as soon as i get it

Thanks everyone!

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Orderred one? I would love to see the finish, the picks they have up for the models are less than inspiring imo.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:51 pm

sorry but my english is not good enough, i dont understand what you said refering the pickups

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:00 pm

we're all interested in what these really look like because the pictures on the web site don't seem to represent the finish that well. looking forward to your pics and your review of the guitar.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 pm

jonc wrote:we're all interested in what these really look like because the pictures on the web site don't seem to represent the finish that well. looking forward to your pics and your review of the guitar.

This is what I meant, sorry I said 'picks' not 'pics'. The pictures on the GL webpage make the finish look flat, and boring. I want to see if it is something 'more', vibrant, metallic or what have you. I think some high caliber photos would really help these guitars move outside a collectors market who will buy them because of what they are regardless.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:51 pm

Ah! OK
but you will have to be patience

Thanks, M.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:57 am

1- Buy whatever plays & sounds bests for the least money.

2- '70s Fenders are what put them out of business.

3- I'm in NYC I've seen used Legacy's go for $700-1000 (mint) spend the other G on a used ASAT .

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi there

70`s fender put them out of business because they where extremely good or awfully bad?

the 30th anniversary legacy will cost 3/2 of the used price brand new! I prefer to buy the new one

It will be great if you can suggest me some places in NY to looking for an acoustic used Taylors or Martins or Breedloves

Thanks for the advice,

M.
Last edited by negrodeamerica on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:37 pm

FYI: New instrument prices are a no no, but best of luck in your pursuit...

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Fender (CBS) and Gibson (Norlin) guitars from the 70's are infamous due to things like the sloppy neck pockets on 3-bolt Strats (the actual reason why the micro-tilt didn't work on those guitars and became much maligned) to the pancake (sandwich) bodies used on Les Pauls. There are excellent guitars from this time but as folks have said you have to play a lot of them to find the good ones. While this period was mediocre for the US brands it did give rise to the extremely well crafted Japanese copies (and later original designs) that many think are better than the equivalent "real" ones. Fender was "saved' in the 80's and has become a behemoth but they seem to be turning out a solid, quality product these days. Same for Gibson who wants to be Yamaha in terms of global music sales. Unfortunately their CEO has traded quality for units built and you have to play a lot of Gibbies these days to find the good ones. For my money I'd go G&L although there are others like Anderson, Shur, Grosh and the like who are building extremely fine guitars, albeit at a higher (new) cost. Looking forward to your review. As for what shops to go to... Ludlow Street Guitars, 30th Street Guitars, and Rivington Guitars are all worth a visit. 48th St. (between 6th and Broadway/7th Ave) though a ghost of what it once was (even Manny's, who got bought up by Sam Ash, is gone now) is also worth checking along with Matt Uminov in the West Village who has a lot of cool vintage and new guitars, and at last look a nice selection of acoustics. Plus the West Village is worth walking around anyway. All of these places have web sites so check em out and make a map so you can hit them all. if you decide to venture into Brooklyn there are some great shops there too and some great eats so let me know and I can email you a list.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:00 am

Main Drag in Brooklyn has a USA Legacy mint for $500. run, run, run

oh, and a 92 s500 for 1G that I'm sure you can get for $800. The ash it it is stunning.

Be a big mistake to buy new.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks Jonc! very useful info, I will walk around and see what I found, I already started to check their websites.

efudd: Can you explain why it will be a mistake to buy a new guitar? One reason could be the ash body -if the used has it- but the new one has better warranty, better hard case, better tuning keys, better metal hardware tremolo, new electrical system and knobs, it is just pleked and I have only 4 days to find the perfect guitar for the buck because its very unlikely that I can sold my only house again i take some of the money to make an initiation journey to a country where everything costs at least four times more that in mine (when I earn u$s 750 by month) and get me a new beginning and meaning for my life at 34.

So, if this a joke for you, or you are just fooling around because you work for a used instruments shop, you will have to be very solid arguing on that.

All the people was very kind and they took this as serious as it is and I thank all of them for that.

I will be pleased to read you points.

M.
Last edited by negrodeamerica on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 am

negrodeamerica wrote:Thanks Jonc! very useful info, I will walk around and see what I found, I already started to check their websites.

replyman: seriously dude... keep to yourself that attitude
It is not him, it is a G&L policy forum rule. Surprised it hasn't been removed by a mod/webmaster yet as is commonly done. I would recommend reading the posting guidelines before you get uppity about others 'demeanor'.

As for buying used, it saves a lot of cash is why, I would assume. I prefer not to compromise specs and am quite picky so usually put in special orders (non standard), but otherwise if I wanted something stock would definitely just buy used.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:08 am

Oh! I´m sorry about that, I will be more carefully in the future. I´m sorry replyman , it just make me anger reading what I thought was a "rude comment"

Thanks for the clear answer!

I ´m beginning to understand that its very common to find used instruments in excellent condition in USA. Over here you wont be that lucky, it will be backwards instead.

I´m checking the 92 legacy at Main Drag. It seems a good option.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:12 am

negrodeamerica wrote:I ´m beginning to understand that its very common to find used instruments in excellent condition in USA. Over here you wont be that lucky, it will be backwards instead.

I´m checking the 92 legacy at Main Drag. It seems a good option.

That is interesting, I can't imagine people not taking care of their instruments (it is like child neglect to me :D). You still get absolutely trashed instruments here, but a good majority are well kept, I would wager to say most owned by non giggers will be in pretty high condition. damage is inevitable with gigged instruments but most are still fully functional just 'well loved'

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:26 am

negrodeamerica wrote:replyman: seriously dude... keep to yourself that attitude

All the people was very kind excepting replyman, and they took this as serious as it is and I thank all of them for that.

Hey, I like this place and appreciate G&L owners. Just don't want to see an otherwise valid post get deleted...

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:10 pm

a used guitar that's been well taken care of typically represents a good to very good value depending on the instrument. you still want to get your hands on them and play them to make sure but almost 90% of my guitars are used. of course i also like the Leo-era G&L's best so that's the only way to find them. that said, i wouldn't look only at new unless you're really focused on the new 30th Anniversary. i also want to put in a good word for Tim at Buffalo Brothers. they always have a nice selection of new and used G&L's and with their 100% upgrade policy you can not only get a good deal you can "future proof" yourself so to speak. new or used it sounds like you're going to have a great trip and i wouldn't be surprised if you find instruments along the way that will also be a pleasant surprise so always keep your options open.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:20 pm

This has been an interesting post for me from the point of thinking about having at least one Fender strat and a tele. At least something that will represent what a strat and a tele is, but its been confusing since they have so many models and reissues. Reading this has taken away that urgency since I can choose to get Legacy or an Asat Classic and feel I have something that represents the strat and tele models. Of course this is my opinion. People choose to buy new or used and that is their choice. There is nothing wrong with either. All we can do is make suggestions.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi There!

replyman I deleted/edited my previously comment because I was wrong about you. I apologize again.

About used instruments, I also like to find some scratched ones that has the tone, it seems that they had a life and now they will have a life with you. But we were babies also, some time ago. So its fair to say that sometimes new instruments also have the tone.

I really found a new world in G&L guitars and its costumers. I´m very happy with that.

I choose to reserve the legacy at Main Drag and not to buy another (used excellent lake placid blue) a Buffalo Bros because I will fly to NY and I will only get to test that one.

Maybe I will buy the 30 anniversary asat special and the used legacy in NY, all for less than 2k. If that finally happens I will post also a victory dancing video only wearing the guitars.

I live in Buenos Aires, I´ll be happy to show the city If anyones come by.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:58 pm

negrodeamerica wrote:
Maybe I will buy the 30 anniversary asat special and the used legacy in NY, all for less than 2k. If that finally happens I will post also a victory dancing video only wearing the guitars.

I live in Buenos Aires, I´ll be happy to show the city If anyones come by.

Dang that sounds fun (getting 2 new axes, maybe the dance too :happy0007: ). I was kind of torn between getting my order or a 30th anniversary, the decision was a prudent 'I could not see the 30th in person, so no go'.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:35 pm

negrodeamerica wrote:replyman I deleted/edited my previously comment because I was wrong about you. I apologize again

Hey, no problem. An ASAT Special and Legacy would cover a lot of ground. Happy hunting.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Negrodeamerica Hello how are you welcome. :happy0065:

You're not audiofloyd the forum musiquiatra ?!

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Mama Sam

Im also negrodeamerica at musiquiatra forum

replyman the used legacy seem to be ok, more news tomorrow

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:13 pm

[quote = " negrodeamerica "] Hola Mamá Sam

También estoy en el foro negrodeamerica musiquiatra

replyman el legado utilizados parecen estar bien, más noticias [ mañana / quote]

I am the Pulpero!! :lol: :lol:

If you're bring some U.S. tries to find something worthwhile. Some come good model of G & L. It would be nice George Fullerton Signature model 2002, at least.
Since you like the sound legacy.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:23 pm

You are asking too much! I´m craking my head trying to solve my search without playing the guitars. I already reduced the number of options..

pedís demasiado Pulpero. apenas si voy a ver que onda la 30 anniversary edition, sin probar lasviolas este pantallazo es la mejor ayuda que puedo tener.

I know This isnt the place but my next question will be: Used Taylor 414 or new breedlove american series D25?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:10 pm

I came back 3 weeks ago. I finally got the used 95´ Legacy from Main Drag in Brooklyn. It´s mint condition, sounds amazing and came with Schaller tuners. The asXXXles of the handling people in BUE airport tried to open the hard case and broke it but it´s still usable (Thanks Master locks!!). I asuming they read G&L and discard the stealing because they didnt recognized the trademark.

As soon as I can I will go for my second one with Graham at Wolfe Guitars. I´m an official G&L fan now.

Thanks everybody

Tomorrow the pictures

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:17 pm

sounds like you got yourself a very nice G&L. looking forward to seeing the pics and hope it brings you many hours of playing goodness.