Saddle Lock Conversion

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Howdy all,

Back in project mode and I am sure someone has answers to this:

I have a top loader tele knock off that I want to put a Saddle Lock bridge on, can existing holes be used or do I need to measure for specific holes? :?:

With that in mind, is it possible to take an ASAT Classic and replace Classic bridge with Saddle Lock? :confused0007:

Suggestions welcome.

Re: Saddle Lock Conversion

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Not sure if the five holes along the back would align perfectly or not but there are two long screws on either side you won't find on the standard Tele bridge. Plus, there's a bigger issue than that besides. The saddle-lock bridge has a protrusion along the front of the bottom side that fits into a rout in the body. This is part of the "magic" of that design that helps transfer string vibration to the body.

For a visual, go here:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... temId=5672

So it's do-able, but I think you're at least going to have to drill a couple of screw holes and make a date with a router. It's more work than I'd care to undertake, but I wouldn't be surprised if some around here have pulled off such a transformation. If you make it happen, let us know how it goes! The saddle-lock bridge is the best around, IMHO.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:22 am

Hey Madcity Fats,

Thanks for input, I forgot about the protrusion. Just may sell off the one(s) under project consideration and get another ASAT with saddle lock. Because we all need "one more" ASAT, don't we. :alright:

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:26 am

You might find one of Boris's comments useful here.

If you have a G&L with a dual fulcrum bridge, Boris reckons the rout for the trem may be the same as the rout for the saddle lock bridge so you might be able to get an accurate template for your ASAT Classic if the necks are the same.

I speak as a conveyer, I don't have 'the knowledge' to back this up.

Best regards, Paul.