New guy with new G&L on way

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi folks,

I think I posted on the old board years ago and after a break from electric guitars for awhile I just ordered my third G&L...A Legacy Special, custom Shoreline Gold and a rosewood board with mint green guard, tinted satin maple back of neck, slim C shape. My question today is why did G&L cease the bi-cut neck? Thanks and I hope everyone has had an enjoyable Thanksgiving today.

Re: New guy with new G&L on way

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else. I am waiting for a Legacy HB myself. I hope your guitar will be everything you always wanted.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks JW,

I wish you the same. I considered the Legacy HB as well. What color, fretboard, other options did you specify?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:46 pm

John - How did you get one in a custom colour? A few of us would have like to have one made with no pick guard but it wasn't an option! What's the trick?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Blarg - they may use shoreline gold for some of the metallic finishes, iirc CAR is traditionally done with it.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:29 am

JohnL,
Here are my specks:
Legacy HB in cherry burst over Swamp Ash
Ebony fingerboard
1 11/16 Nut width-With a 12 inch radius
Graphtech Nut
Locking Tuning Machines
Tortoise pickguard
All other features standard
Your guitar sounds great. I agonized over which version to get, Legacy or Invader PLus, but the Legacy HB won out for me. What other G&L's do you have JL?

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:32 pm

@Blarg...I saw a Legacy at Guitar Adoptions in Shoreline Gold-it had been sold so I ordered my Legacy Special in said color. I have only found one other online dealer with a Shoreline Gold G&L and it was in Ontario, Canada. Why G&L does not list it I don't know.

@JW...looks sweet. Sorry, I meant ebony board with Cherryburst is killer.

Here is the Legacy in Canada...
http://www.theguitarworld.com/product_info.php?products_id=208
Last edited by JohnL on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Makes you wonder what other colours they have but are holding out on.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:15 am

Blarg, there is one other custom color available through guitar adoptions-old school sunburst. Looks like faded tobacco burst to me. You can check out a sample pic at guitar adoptions-I believe he has an F-100 for sale in that color...

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:46 pm

I have an ASAT in old-school tobacco sunburst. It's a beautiful bunch of colours!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 am

JohnL wrote: My question today is why did G&L cease the bi-cut neck? Thanks and I hope everyone has had an enjoyable Thanksgiving today.

Hi John,

Look's like your post got hijacked and no one has yet to answer your question. :o

Check this post: About the truss rod

Hope this helps.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:03 am

JohnL wrote:@Blarg...I saw a Legacy at Guitar Adoptions in Shoreline Gold-it had been sold so I ordered my Legacy Special in said color. I have only found one other online dealer with a Shoreline Gold G&L and it was in Ontario, Canada. Why G&L does not list it I don't know.

@JW...looks sweet. Sorry, I meant ebony board with Cherryburst is killer.

Here is the Legacy in Canada...
http://www.theguitarworld.com/product_info.php?products_id=208

When I first saw the Shoreline Gold G&L's on GA website last year, I asked one of my contacts at G&L and
was told that it was a test color and that they were not adding it as an available G&L finish.
So, since you were able to order that color, G&L might have decided to add it after all or they had left over
paint and agreed to use it on your order.

JohnL wrote:Blarg, there is one other custom color available through guitar adoptions-old school sunburst. Looks like faded tobacco burst to me. You can check out a sample pic at guitar adoptions-I believe he has an F-100 for sale in that color...

G&L had changed the Tobacco Sunburst color at some point a few years back (it was darker).
And then brought back the original coloring, calling it "Old School Tobacco Sunburst".
I think they decided to go back to using the original and not offer two different Tobacco Sunbursts.
So, they dropped the Old School Tobacco Sunburst name (Old School Tobacco Sunburst = Tobacco Sunburst).

blargfromouterspace wrote:Makes you wonder what other colours they have but are holding out on.

They are always experimenting with new colors and occasionally those guitars are sold to dealers. G&L may or
may not choose to introduce a new color and it does take time to get a new color photographed and added to
their catalogs (printed and on-line).

Hope this helps.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Great info-thanks very much. Possibly, I may end up with a one off G&L color, or maybe not.