G&L Pickguard differences?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:19 am

What's up guys?

I bought my second G&L this past week. A used sunburst Legacy with a maple neck. I took the neck off to see the dates. The neck showed May 28 1993. The neck pocket showed May 21 1993. The last number for the year on the neck was hard to see, but It does look like a 3.

Anyway,
I decided to order a couple pickguards for it, so I called up Pickguard Heaven. I was told that 1993 was a weird year for pickguards. They were different, and required a special cut that would cost more money. It was suggested to me to email them a picture of my guitar so they can verify if I did indeed need this special cut pickguard. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

This got me wondering. Does anyone have any information as to what was different about that particular year? The only obvious thing I noticed was different about mine, is that it is an 11-hole pickguard and not the regular 8-hole.

Thanks guys.

Re: G&L Pickguard differences?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:I'm on the road right now ~ but I'll be back in town on Thursday. I have a bunch of old G&L pickguards from various time periods. I'll look and see if I have any 11 hole pickguards. TIm

That would be awesome, Tim. Thanks a lot. I didn't realize that you sold pickguards. I'd really be interested in a SSH in either white, parchment, or mint. Pickguard Heaven (Chandler), has not gotten back to me yet. :(

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:48 pm

No problem, Tim. I really appreciate your trying to help. Unfortunately, Chandler has STILL not emailed me back. :(
Do you know anything about what was different about these pickguards? If it is just the 11-hole vs 8-hole thing,...I'll just call them up to order it. As of now, I'm still waiting to hear back from Chandler after I sent them a pic of my guitar as they asked me to.

Thanks again

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:51 pm

Just to be safe, I'd take off the pickguard and trace it on a sheet of paper. I bought a used guard for my '94 S-500, and the holes were close but didn't quite line up. I tried drilling the holes out a little bit, and once the screws were in you couldn't really tell from more than 5 feet away, but there was a bit of a gap at the neck and the switch was rubbing on the side of the control cavity too.

Better to order it once and know it'll be right than to have to get two of them.