Pickup question

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Hello everyone!

Does anyone tried a seymour duncan hot-rails, or a G&L Power Blade in bridge position for a G&L S-500/Legacy/ASAT?
If yes, how do you compare them regarding tone/"hotness" in a humbucker/coil-splitting scenario?

Thank you, best regards!

Re: Pickup question

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Are you referring to single coil sized humbuckers? I haven't tried either of the pickups you mention but once had a strat which I fitted with Dimarzio blade pickups in all three positions with a coil split switch. The sound was incredibly thin when split. In humbucker mode they were good, powerful pickups with a nice sound for all kinds of rock. However, I didn't particularly like the sound of them clean and seeing as I play clean about 80% of the time I got rid of them.

Hope that helps!

Re: Pickup question

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:29 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Are you referring to single coil sized humbuckers? I haven't tried either of the pickups you mention but once had a strat which I fitted with Dimarzio blade pickups in all three positions with a coil split switch. The sound was incredibly thin when split. In humbucker mode they were good, powerful pickups with a nice sound for all kinds of rock. However, I didn't particularly like the sound of them clean and seeing as I play clean about 80% of the time I got rid of them.

Hope that helps!

Yes, single-coil size.
I have a Dimarzio ToneZone S in bridge position of my s-500 and i feel the same way you did about the thin-sounding when in split-coil mode. So much that when i have middle+bridge selected, the middle MFD PU almost totally "absorbs" the sound of Dimarzio's.

This is why im planning switching the bridge pickup to something more single-coil sounding when splitted (like MFDs or close), and that could mix well with my other MFDs in middle and neck.