Can I swap the neck pickup in a Classic Custom for a Special

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:53 am

Is there any reason that I can't take the neck pickup out of an ASAT Classic custom and replace it with a neck pickup from an ASAT Special ? Would there be any issues or weirdness with the tone ? I may like the neck pickup from the special better than the CC.

Re: Can I swap the neck pickup in a Classic Custom for a Special

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 am

dallyd31 wrote:Is there any reason that I can't take the neck pickup out of an ASAT Classic custom and replace it with a neck pickup from an ASAT Special ? Would there be any issues or weirdness with the tone ? I may like the neck pickup from the special better than the CC.

Which version of the Classic Custom do you have?

(photo by Sprinter92)

or

For a couple of years G&L had changed the pickguard so that the pickup adjustment screws were not showing,
They have since gone back to the original pickguard as shown on the G&L website which is where I got the bottom photo.

The CC neck pickup pole piece bushings are longer than the standard ASAT Special pickup. An extra 200 windings were added,
but they stack up entirely differently and the magnet is further down under as well. This means that the depth of the rout for the pickup
is deeper. You would need to get longer adjustment screws and springs for the standard ASAT Special pickup to get the pickup at the proper height.

Many really like the Classic Custom because of the neck pickup. You might try adjusting the height of the pickup to suit your taste before considering
doing a pickup swap.

Hope this helps.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:14 am

It's the one where the screws are not showing ( and a semi hollow). I am looking to buy...just about the pull the trigger, but I am concerned that the CC neck will be too warm...a bit too "jazzy" for rock and thought perhaps the Special pickup would be better ? I can't find one locally to try in person so I am only basing my judgement on this based on Youtube clips. Maybe you have some input on that.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:04 pm

So, can anyone comment on the CC neck pickup....is it too warm, clean and jazzy for rock ? Better than a regular special ( or even a bluesboy for that matter)?

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:47 pm

dallyd31 wrote:So, can anyone comment on the CC neck pickup....is it too warm, clean and jazzy for rock ? Better than a regular special ( or even a bluesboy for that matter)?

Here is a 2008 post from GPD:

I like the Classic Custom...a bunch.
Posted by: GPD on February 03, 2008 at 12:00:55:
In reply to: Asat Classic vs. Asat Classic Custom vs. Blues Boy posted by Sprinter 92 on February 03, 2008 at 11:38:02:

The Bluesboy doesn't do much for me and never has (no offense Tim). I guess probably because I really dislike PAF's in general and the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover is one of my least favorite pickups of all time. I have played a couple of them with the G&L humbucker in the neck slot which sounds different but still like a PAF. Otherwise, it is a great playing, looking instrument. The neck + bridge pickup sound on the BB doesn't get it for me either. It sounds pretty far removed from what you expect from a good Tele rythm sound. I do like the sound of the bridge pickup alone but that is nothing more than any other ASAT Classic bridge pup.
The ASAT Classic is a decent Tele type guitar. I'm not a huge fan of the neck pickup by itself but it isn't bad either. I do like the neck + bridge in parallel sound plus the bridge pickup alone sound.

The ASAT Classic Custom is an awesome guitar. Easily my most favorite current production G&L. The neck pickup is to die for...fantastic is the best way to describe it. The parallel connection between the neck and bridge sound is similarly great though a bit different from the other two guitars or a true Tele. Still, a great rythm sound. The bridge pickup is the same old great ASAT Classic pickup sound. It is more refined than your typical Tele bridge pickup, plenty hot and mighty bright. It, of course, still provides ample twangage.

My favorite ASAT CC configuration is a semi-hollow. I really like a maple cap on mahogany but to be honest every single semi-hollow I've played to date (which is several) has sounded incredible. Really, no exaggeration here...The ASAT CC is a home-run!!!

Now, if you could just get it in a Semi-Hollow format with a belly and arm contour! Wouldn't mind one with the commonplace HD aftermarket bridges with the compensated 3-piece solid brass saddles.

That's my $.02,

Gabe

Hope this helps.