pick-up swap ASAT CC to Classic

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:32 am

Hi There,
I recently prchased a new ASAT Classic Custom and am interested if possible to swap the neck pick-up for a regular ASAT Classic neck pick-up. I know I will have to purchase new pick-guard but was wondering about the fit and fastening to the guitar body. The 'fat' classic custom neck pick-up is warm and rich but I find it a bit 'honky' and misses the chime and definition I was hoping for.
Thanks for any advice,
Brian

Re: pick-up swap ASAT CC to Classic

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 am

deleeuw65 wrote:Hi There,
I recently prchased a new ASAT Classic Custom and am interested if possible to swap the neck pick-up for a regular ASAT Classic neck pick-up. I know I will have to purchase new pick-guard but was wondering about the fit and fastening to the guitar body. The 'fat' classic custom neck pick-up is warm and rich but I find it a bit 'honky' and misses the chime and definition I was hoping for.
Thanks for any advice,
Brian

The ASAT Classic Custom neck pickup pole piece bushings are longer than the standard ASAT Special pickup. An extra 200 windings were added, but they stack up entirely differently and the magnet is further down under as well. So, the pickup rout in the body will be deeper then the standard neck pickup rout on an ASAT Classic. You will likely have to add a shim under
the Classic pickup to raise it to the proper height. I don't know if the mounting screws will be long enough to mount to the body
and allow enough to raise it to the right height. Here's a picture of an ASAT Classic with the pickguard off to show you the rout:
(Sorry, but I don't have a picture of the rout for the ACC.)

Sorry, but I don't have a picture of the rout for the ACC, so I am not sure if the AC pickup will fit inside the existing rout.

If you do decide to make this swap, please let us know if it worked out okay for you.

Hope this helps.

Re: pick-up swap ASAT CC to Classic

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know if I try this and how it turns out.
Brian