anyone ever have the g&l barrel jack go bad?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi all,

The barrel jack in my 2009 f-100 went bad. Since I purchased this on e-bay I don't think it's covered under warranty. I have it in with a tech getting replaced now. I have never had jack issues like this before on such a new guitar. Just wondering if any of you have experienced this and if so how often?

Thanks!

Re: anyone ever have the g&l barrel jack go bad?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Mine haven't gone bad, but they do like some cables better than others. I borrowed a Fender cable once and it just wouldn't work in the G&L's, don't know why.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:09 pm

It has never happened to me even though I use Monster cable and have been warned on the old forum more than once that especially that brand seems to cause the Switchcraft output jacks to go bad. So far I keep my fingers crossed.

Ken Baker has provided everyone with a wonderful updated illustrated step-by-step procedure if you ever want to change the jack yourself. Good stuff (thanks again Ken!)

- Jos

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:57 pm

yeah, I had to replace the jack in my Asat Classic, it is a twenty minute job, just be sure to put the felt washer on the new jack before you drive it into the body. Doh!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 pm

yes, one went on an ASAT Special and my Z-3 is going too ... seems to be one of the relatively few spots to watch out for in o/wise bulletproof G&Ls.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 am

+1 on Tim's comment on cables. It's a wild world out there. Ton's of great products on the market, and tons of garbage.

Also, I have had Jacks go bad. I think it's because I stand on my cable a lot. :roll: I have gotten really good about tucking my cable in my strap, even for practice, and am hoping that helps.

jeremy

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the great feedback. I believe I used a few monster cables at one point or another and who knows what the previous owner used. I am using strictly george L's now. Anyone know if george L's cause problems with these jacks?

Thanks again!

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Yesterday at our gig I did not use my wireless on my guitar. We were extremely crowded on stage and used as little equipment as we could to save room. The cord to my guitar was accidently disconnected twice by another player by stepping on the cord. I usually loop it though my belt loop but had failed to do so yesterday. These are the type of things that will shorten the life of the output jack. I suspect that using a wireless will cause less strain on the jack as the cord is much lighter. I can tell that there is less strain on the jack when connecting the wireless plug. These output jacks do not handle side pressure very well.-- Darwin

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm

beachroadbum wrote:Anyone know if george L's cause problems with these jacks?

No they are not. I still believe there is no problem what so ever with Monster either, but hey, I'll eat crow the first time any of my output jacks craps out ;)

- Jos

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

I always loop my chord through my strap too and leave a fair amount of a loop as slack. I cannot really recall ever having had that problem. Once it has become your habit, it is hard to break even when just playing as home.

darwinohm wrote:Yesterday at our gig I did not use my wireless on my guitar. ...
-- Darwin

But more importantly, Darwin, did you play your new Bigsby-fied ASAT?

- Jos

Edit: Oh never mind. Just saw your test report.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:50 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:No they are not. I still believe there is no problem what so ever with Monster either, but hey, I'll eat crow the first time any of my output jacks craps out ;)

- Jos

I think that using a quality brand consistently is the best way to avoid cable/jack problems. Along with the strap loop, of course.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am

I bought an ASAT a couple of months ago and with some of my cords the the jack just falls out of the guitar, but really no need to change out the jack I just swicthed to one of my home made cords with the NOS 70's swicthcraft jacks and they stay nice and tight!

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:35 pm

I agree about using true 1/4" plugs, instead of metric models. When my ASAT jack began to cut out I took it to the shop to ask for a replacement. The repair fellow couldn't replicate the problem. To his credit he called me and said he didn't think the work was necessary. (This was at the Twelfth Fret in Toronto, an excellent store and repair shop.) He was using cables with plugs by a company called G&H. American, with a distinctive copper tip. The cables were not expensive boutique gear, just mid-priced and reliable. I bought three of them, and my ASAT is mated for life. No more output problems, and this has been a few years.
For what it's worth, I don't think it's a big deal to have the jack replaced, or do it yourself. One day we'll all be using metric plugs -- or paying a fortune to specialty manufacturers -- so we should get our minds around the idea. But for now I'm happy with the less-is-more solution.
George J

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 pm

westsideduck wrote:I bought an ASAT a couple of months ago and with some of my cords the the jack just falls out of the guitar, but really no need to change out the jack I just swicthed to one of my home made cords with the NOS 70's swicthcraft jacks and they stay nice and tight!

This has happened to me too! We should get a sticky going with 'brands to avoid' as the topic. I'll add Planet Waves to the list.

Switchcraft jacks work every time.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:11 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
westsideduck wrote:I bought an ASAT a couple of months ago and with some of my cords the the jack just falls out of the guitar, but really no need to change out the jack I just swicthed to one of my home made cords with the NOS 70's swicthcraft jacks and they stay nice and tight!

This has happened to me too! We should get a sticky going with 'brands to avoid' as the topic. I'll add Planet Waves to the list.

Switchcraft jacks work every time.

+1 on Switchcraft. I use current production stuff, with no problems. I just standardized about two years ago, after getting sick of fiddling with cables.

Is it really that much cheaper to make a 6mm plug than a .25 inch plug? (I am totally guessing as to the metric size, just that I happen to know that 6mm is about .243 inches.) I am not aware of a big market for 6mm plugs that was being serviced and they'd have to retool the factory to make 1/4. oh well.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Lemme stick my neck out and see how long it lasts this time. I'll try to do better.

The actual problem with the deep panel jacks are:

Because of their design, the amount of spring tension that can be applied to the plug is limited.

The guts of the things have never been known for high strength, such as found in the open frame jacks in the Legacy guitar. Because of this, abrasion of the internal contacts and parts caused by a wiggling plug causes wear.

Switchcraft is about the only manufacturer making the things, other than closed-market OEMs.

Switchcraft has moved manufacturing out of the USA, so they're almost what they used to be.

So...

Too-small plugs (6mm is sometimes a reach) on cheapie cables wiggle around in the jack excessively and accelerate wear on a jack that can't be (cheaply) made to handle it. Eventually, the internal contacts just wear out and the jack must be replaced. This can be mitigated to a degree by belaying the cable through the strap, but it isn't a battle that can be won.

Too-large plugs on expensive cables from a notable cable manufacturer have a nicely snug fit in the barrel of the jack. While this feels all wonderful and stuff, it's wearing out the jack barrel (and contacts to a maybe-lesser degree) and leaving fine metal crap inside. I've seen the aftermath. This too can be mitigated by belaying the strap, but it becomes important to make sure that the plug doesn't even twist in the jack.

Enough about what happens.

What do we do? The immediate thing would be to use quality plugs - even if they're 6mm plugs. Higher end 6mm plugs, such as those from Neutrik, are designed with 1/4" jacks in mind, as well as 6mm jacks. They work well and don't eat deep panel jacks. G&H plus are USA made and are genuine host-to-God 1/4" plugs. They too work well. I usually make my own cables, but when I do buy pre-made I look for plugs from either Neutrik or G&H. Higher end LiveWire cables come to mind.

The other thing that can be done is to convert to a jackplate and open frame jack. Obviously, this isn't reversible and may affect value. But if it's a gigging axe and reliability is of the utmost importance, this is a good option to consider.

There. I've said it.

Please, let's not question why G&L (or any number of other manufacturers) use deep panel jacks. They exist, therefore we replace 'em.

Ken...