I Changed Back

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:07 pm

After trying different brands and gauges of strings on my Comanche, I've gone back to the "OE" size and brand of strings (D'Addario 10s). These just seem to feel and sound better than anything else on this particular guitar. However, Ernie Ball 09 - 42 sound and play better on my MIM Strat. Could fretboard radius and material play into this at all? The Strat is a 9.5" radius (rosewood), where the Comanche is a 12" radius (ebony). I've also noticed that I have to roll some of the bass off and lower my gain setting on my amp. I don't use much gain on the amp* at all, just enough so that it "breaks up" a little without killing the inherent tone of the guitar.*

My current amp arsenal is 2 FENDER Pro Tube Pro Reverbs (2003 & 2005 respectively). Upgrades include all JJ Tubes and Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers. Since the speakers have broken in, I'm getting some pretty sweet tones out of this combination. :elguitar054:

I also have a FENDER Super Champ XD with a 10" Eminence Rajun Cajun. I can get this little guy almost dialed in to where it sounds like a "junior" version of my Pro Reverbs

*I use less gain and more volume to give the amp a "pushed" sound.

Re: I Changed Back

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Yeah, I've been using Diaddario 10s for years and years. I'm going to try the pure nickel versions here shortly -- let you know what I think.

I think all elements of a guitar factor into what strings work or do not work on a guitar from wood, pups, fret material and fret profile...and even radius -- radius effects string bending for sure and the stiffness or elasticity of the string in relation to frets and radius are important.

Re: I Changed Back

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:57 am

All my strings are d'Adds. On 2 of my Teles I use All Steels, they really bring out the twang. On my SG, 1 Strat, Falcon & Blondii I use all Nickels. They bring out a nice warm undertone. My others are loaded with Nickel wounds. There is a down sound to All Steel or All nickel, they dont bend as easy. Cant have an up without a down.

Craig