SC-2 Love

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 am

It seems I have been bitten by G&L big time. I bought a beautiful S-500 back in december and now I can't stop thinking about SC-2's. Its going to be the first guitar I have ever bought without playing an example first. I have seen a couple of demos on youtube and they sound great. I was going to get an SG, then I found the S-500. This time around I thought " ok, now I'll get that SG standard" . Its Gibson month at the big music retailer in my part of the world and they are practically giving them away but that SC-2 haunts me. I don't know, I thought I loved humbuckers. The SG will have to wait again. I just have to find out how much shipping will cost from the online vendor I found. I'm thinking vintage white ( with the black running a close second )

SC-2's seem to be under represented on this forum. I hope to have one soon.

Re: SC-2 Love

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:18 pm

You're right, theres not so much SC-2 talk here.
I ordered a SC-2 almost four months ago. (I'm living in Europe...) The dealer says it should be here next week or so. I will post some pics then.
Dave McLaren stated (via G&L's Facebook page) that all wood and color options are available on the SC-2, so have that in mind while considering a purchase.
I ordered one in 3 tone sunburst. Never seen that color on a reissue SC-2, can't wait any longer. ;)

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm

You know it's funny you mention it, I've recently been on a SC-2 lust, I keep telling myself you have two other guitars with the same pickups (although the sc2 bridge has more windings) why not go for something like a bluesboy (also top of the want list) but that sc-2 keeps sticking in my head, I think I'd order honeyburst, but there are so many great colors out there. For now it will just stay on the list though

-Dave

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 pm

I've been on the fence too. Maybe we could to a group-buy through here. I'll take an ash body with a light burst to try and match the neck color. Black pickups, board types? Ebony?

Cheers,

Will

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 am

HEY!!

Did someone say Vintage White!!!! :mrgreen:

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 am

Well, I'm glad to see there are a couple of SC-2 enthusiasts out there. I have always wanted a white guitar. Which is fortunate because it would be torture to wait 4+ months if I ordered a special colour. It is nice to have the option to do it though.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 am

I am in the same boat as jnnagel88, i am also playing the waiting game.... i ordered an sc-2 in Feb, so i still have a while to go. I will be nice to see the different finishes on the sc-2 body ( i think i've seen every sc-2 in black, white, blue & red on the whole internet!)

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 am

Love my SC-2

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:37 am

Of my electrics, I've been playing the '09 SC-2 almost exclusively at gigs for the past 6 months. Love it!! I didn't think any of my electrics would get me to put down my workhorse Heritage H-137, but the SC-2 did (at least for the short term). Hell, I even used it for all the rhythm tracks on our next (in the works) album. That said, I'm not sure it's all about the guitar--meaning, it's a very good mate with my Mesa Express 5:25 1x12. The old trusty '99 Legacy pairs well with the Mesa too, but the big MFD sound through the Mesa is really rocking my boat.

"Vintage white?" Oh yeah! Here a pic of my vintage white SC-2 when it was still in pristine condition (it's got a lot of gig mojo on it now):

--GDub

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 am

i've had the pleasure of seeing the 'Maggies and hearing both the Heritage and the SC2 in action. Both are great guitars and while I like the 80's version of the SC2 better, the new version is a great guitar and extremely comfortable around the neck and paws. My choice would be Himalayan Blue but you can never go wrong with vintage white.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:00 pm

After wanting one for a long time, I recently snagged an '84 SC-2 off eBay for what I thought was pretty much a steal. A great little guitar which had the added advantage of coming from a seller who just happens to be a guitar tech. Probably the first instrument I've gotten through eBay that had an absolutely perfect setup when it arrived. It's also a perfect match (black and maple) for my '84 SB-2 bass. Felt like fortune was smiling on me when I landed the thing.

Can't speak to the newer models, but if they're even close to their vintage counterparts they're a great buy.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:31 am

Hey Gdub, do you have any recent photos of your SC-2?
I love that dark rosewood board of yours, hopefully mine won't have a cheap looking pale one. But that will be uncovered next week...

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:31 pm

I am very happy. I bought an SC-2 ! I was going to get vintage white. Before I bought it I double checked the other colours to make sure. They had a Tobacco Burst which looked great. But since my Gibby is a burst and so is my S-500 I thought it was time to break the mould.... Until I noticed that the Tobacco Burst SC-2 was the only one that came with a deluxe tolex case ( instead of the gig bag ) for the same price ! So my new Tobacco Burst SC-2 should be here in a week. I didn't think to ask why, all I did was call to confirm it came with a case. Pics when I get it.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Great ending! Really looking forward to the pics. I can never make up my mind as what to get - an SC-2 hardtail or an ASAT Special...

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am

So I had an afternoon shift the day of delivery ( Monday ) so of course it came after I went to work. The first of three days off commenced on Tuesday. So I spent all day at home waiting, ( dozing on the couch ) playing some guitar, waiting, listening for brown trucks.... It arrived at 6:30 pm. I stayed up till 1am playing it. I couldn't use my amp till this morning... This thing can really rock out! Very, very,very impressed. The pick ups are the @#$% so to speak.It was difficult to get good photos but here are a couple anyway. My new SC-2 has arrived !

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Great looking guitar! Congrats :happy0065:

- Jos

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Sunburst finishes are Gods gift to guitars, and G&L seems to make some of the best! congrats.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 am

Wow, that looks GREAT! I never would have thought sunburst would be so nice on an SC-2. I wanna play it!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:39 am

That is one cool looking SC-2 :luv:
Congrats.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks guys. The tobacco burst looks better in person. I was going to go for vintage white, but this one came with a case so it was a no brainer. Did I mention that it is all kinds of awsome? It is too ! I'll stop now.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:42 am

i totally agree... the tobacco burst does not look the same in pictures, i can never get a great shot of my tobacco burst ASAT. The countdown is on, my SC-2 should just be a few more weeks.....

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 am

Hi guys
my custom ordered SC-2 (3 tone sunburst) arrived today after a five month wait.
I will post some pictures if someone is interested.
Regards

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:51 am

jnnagel88 wrote:Hi guys
my custom ordered SC-2 (3 tone sunburst) arrived today after a five month wait.
I will post some pictures if someone is interested.
Regards

Definitely, it's required! ;)

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 pm

I would love to see other SC-2 pics.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:59 am

Hey Guys,
stay tuned. I will post a review of my new SC-2, but I have problems with that new picture size restriction.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:27 am

For the pictures you can make yourself an account on www.dropbox.com.
2 GB free space, no limits in size or file types, no wait times for downloaders. :)

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:34 am

I heart my '83 SC-2. Rescued it from a real butchering, too.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 am

Great site you have here! Lots of information and all!
I just got my first G&L (Sept), a 2008 SC-2 and it sounds amazing!
I am looking forward to reading all of the stories on the site.
Thanks!

-Gary

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:11 am

I don't know how I missed this post but I recently came into a new SC-2 and they are one of the best G&Ls sonically that I have ever played. This post has had some pictured in colors I have not seen on an SC-2. They are beautiful and close to the perfect guitar. The only change I would have preferred on mine is a matching headstock. I've posted it before but here it is again-- Darwin

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:52 am

I'll jump back in with my recent SC-2. It is custom ordered SC-2 with a swamp ash body, saddle lock bridge, locking tuners and finished in turquoise metal flake.

Plays and sounds like a dream :luv:

Scott

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:04 am

You guys are all giving me GAS for an SC-2!! :crazy:

I haven't even changed the strings on my ASAT Special yet! :shocked028:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Scott, that is a fine Blue Sparkle. These Sparkle models are as good as it gets!-- Darwin

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Lefty wrote:You guys are all giving me GAS for an SC-2!! :crazy:

It does beg the question though ... are they made left handed ?

The G&L site doesn't say that they're not available in lefty. Then again I've never seen or heard of a lefty SC-2. :confused0007: :roll:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

SouthpawGuy wrote:
Lefty wrote:You guys are all giving me GAS for an SC-2!! :crazy:

It does beg the question though ... are they made left handed ?

The G&L site doesn't say that they're not available in lefty. Then again I've never seen or heard of a lefty SC-2. :confused0007: :roll:

There is one Lefty SC-2 listed in the G&L Registry: it's serial number G001807.
The current dealer price list says the SC-2 is "Available in Right Hand only".

I will check with the factory to see if this is still the case.

Stay tuned.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:53 am

Hey Lefty and Southpaw,

I friend of mine (a lefty also) has wanted to order a left sc-2 for sometime..... Back in February this was posted on the G&L facebook page regarding a lefty sc-2

"G&L Musical Instruments : Not yet, Rob. It's one of those things were we've got to get around to doing the CAD/CAM work for the routing. We're going to do some more things with the SC-2, hopefully by the Fall, so by then we should have that lefty situation sorted out. We were just talking about the SC-2 stuff this afternoon, actually. - Dave

Well now it is the fall, i can't wait to see what is in store for the sc-2..........

It would be really cool to see it flipped around - time to start saving your pennies.

Scott

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31 am

Craig wrote:I will check with the factory to see if this is still the case.

Stay tuned.

I asked Steve about this and here is his reply:

It is on our programming project list. There have been other projects taking priority
over this one. With all our programming project, we have to look at the best return on our
investment in terms of how long the programming will take verses how many instruments are
we going to sell. At present, we are not sure when a left hand SC-2 will happen.

Thanks

Steve Grom

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:47 am

Phooey wrote:I heart my '83 SC-2. Rescued it from a real butchering, too.

Phooey, can you describe the "butchering"? I'm searching for my first guitar just like your SC-2 that had LUKE engraved in the body. I'm hoping to buy it back, but if it is my guitar and you restored it and are attached, I completely understand, but it would be nice to end my search one way or the other.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Mine's also a blue hardtail SC-2 in the first body shape (see pic above). I can confirm that mine doesn't have "Luke" carved in the back! That must of have been a popular color, because I've seen more in blue than any other. You should be able to score one like it if nothing else!

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Anybody ever have a chance to compare an SC-2 Reissue to one of the originals (1st body style)? I recently traded with another forum member for a 1983/84 SC-2 that sounds incredible (G010158). It's really fun to play. In fact, I'm having trouble putting it down and I dig the look as well - the original body style definitely has that vintage vibe. Wondering how the new ones compare.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:26 am

Got mine! :D It looks like the one here: http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-2-82.htm

Pictures will follow and there's some work to be done. The volume and treble control potentiometers will have to be replaced, hopefully all screws on the bridge saddles will work.

I did already add it to the registry (G014198), neck and body dates will follow. One thing I'm not sure, is the name of the colour. Compared to the current colours, I would say it's Belair Green, but none of the old SC-2's do have that colour in the registry. So it may be Viking Blue? But I would say it's simply Turquoise, as there's a lot of Green in there.

On ggjaguar the finish is said to be Polyester, mine has a lot of crinkle and at some points, there's no paint left. Could it be, it's Nitro though?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:Got mine! :D It looks like the one here: http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-2-82.htm

Pictures will follow and there's some work to be done. The volume and treble control potentiometers will have to be replaced, hopefully all screws on the bridge saddles will work.

I did already add it to the registry (G014198), neck and body dates will follow. One thing I'm not sure, is the name of the colour. Compared to the current colours, I would say it's Belair Green, but none of the old SC-2's do have that colour in the registry. So it may be Viking Blue? But I would say it's simply Turquoise, as there's a lot of Green in there.

On ggjaguar the finish is said to be Polyester, mine has a lot of crinkle and at some points, there's no paint left. Could it be, it's Nitro though?

Wow, three similar vintage SC-2s show up in the same thread.

My theory is that whatever G&L was using for viking blue in the early 80's has a tendency to turn almost surf green after 30 years. Mine's definitely polyester. Someone on this board turned up a nitro SC-1 recently, so I guess anything's possible.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:01 am

Submersible wrote:My theory is that whatever G&L was using for viking blue in the early 80's has a tendency to turn almost surf green after 30 years. Mine's definitely polyester. Someone on this board turned up a nitro SC-1 recently, so I guess anything's possible.

Looks, like that's true. In the neck pocket, there are some spots with the original color tone:
click

I've never seen a polyester finish, with that much crinkle:
click

There seems to be no date in the neck pocket, the stamp on the neck, maybe means 1983/06/03?
click

It has this type of tuners, so it's a late one?
click_me

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:
Submersible wrote:It has this type of tuners, so it's a late one?
click_me

It has to be pre-1984 because it doesn't have the strat-style body shape.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Submersible wrote:Mine's also a blue hardtail SC-2 in the first body shape (see pic above). I can confirm that mine doesn't have "Luke" carved in the back! That must of have been a popular color, because I've seen more in blue than any other. You should be able to score one like it if nothing else!

i think he carved luke into the front, although not positive. he has not specified.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Submersible wrote:It has to be pre-1984 because it doesn't have the strat-style body shape.

Yeah, thats clear, I should have written a late pre-1984 one. ;-)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Wow these all look great. The G&L tobacco burst is a killer finish, and has been sense the get got go.

I love the sparkle, but I think my favorite might be the fullerton red with maple board.

Ask me again in 5 mins and I might have a new favorite.

I have never played and SC-2, will have to remedy that someday.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I've completed the restauration:

Image Image Image

More pictures can be found here

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Very nice!

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:04 pm

I've recorded a simple demonstration video:

[youtube]twZtaaVIJ1Y[/youtube]

Youtube makes the sound awful as usual, so there's a high quality mp3-File:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5322859/SC-2%20Demo-video1.mp3

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Great video. I love the MFD snarl. What kind of amp were you playing through?

Ken