Re: SC-2 Love

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:39 pm

KenC wrote:Great video. I love the MFD snarl. What kind of amp were you playing through?

Thanks.
It's just a Line6 X3 modelling amp. I'm using the simulation of a 60s Marshall amp and a 60's Marshall cab.

Recording works via USB-connection. Next, I import that track into the video and shift it to the right place. The videos audio track is then muted.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:21 am

Man, that's a nice tone. Gorgeously gritty.

Oh, and for anyone following Luke M's fortunes, we discussed it via PM and I don't have his old guitar.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm happy this one got a good price, so this would have been too much for me anyway and I have not to be sorry :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-G-L-SC-2- ... 0534165015

As there's the serial number shown, I've already added it to the registry with no owner.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:35 am

Miles Smiles wrote:I'm happy this one got a good price, so this would have been too much for me anyway and I have not to be sorry :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-G-L-SC-2- ... 0534165015

As there's the serial number shown, I've already added it to the registry with no owner.

the wood on the neck is beautiful, but the frets are in bad shape and the action is pretty high. a refret would be a must imnsho. other than that looks like a very nice guitar.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am

That is TALL money for that red SC-2 in the condition that it's in. :crazy:

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Right, for that money I would rather try to get a new or almost new one, but mostly for the 12" radius neck. ;)

The auction text says minor fret wear and I can't see any on this picture (click to enlarge!):

Sat May 14, 2016 6:22 am

Thread !!! Come back to life !!! And walk !!... :evilgrin3:

Finally pulled the trigger on a so long desired SC2... 2-tone sunburst, not my fav' but the only available around... G&L count : almost 3...

Hiihaaaaaa... :mrgreen:

Sat May 14, 2016 8:37 am

I would love to see some pictures when it arrives. I am happy that you finally got one !

Sat May 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Last edited by glvourot on Sun May 15, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 14, 2016 5:36 pm

my SC 2 and Fallout are playing tonight , but it will be a late one , we don't go on until mid night :crazy: last Band playing ..... the SC 2 will be in drop C tuning , the Big MFD's sound great in drop tunings

Wed May 18, 2016 8:47 am

SC2 received !!! :banana:

Looks really Nice, plays like a dream !!! It's the exact same that the other one here above, 2-tones sunburst... feels and plays like a custom shop, amazing... can't wait to plug it !!!

G&L count : 3 !!!!!

:evilgrin:

Wed May 18, 2016 3:58 pm

meursault wrote:SC2 received !!! :banana:

Looks really Nice, plays like a dream !!! It's the exact same that the other one here above, 2-tones sunburst... feels and plays like a custom shop, amazing... can't wait to plug it !!!

Congrats, but you know we do need photographic proof. :searching: ;)

Also, please post a photo of the Custom Build Specifications sheet, because the G&L Registry entry you added, lists the body color as 2-Tone Sunburst Nitro but, AFAIK, the factory has not done a
Rustic version of the SC-2 (2008-present). Also, the body wood will be listed in the CBS sheet, so I will be able to add that, too.

:ugeek:

Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Damn... i was sure i was wrong... i didn't found the "basic" 2-tone finish on the registry... there is no spec sheets... the retailer said : alder body, maple neck...

I only have a crappy cellphone pic...

Last edited by meursault on Wed May 18, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Craig wrote:
meursault wrote:SC2 received !!! :banana:

Congrats, but you know we do need photographic proof. :searching: ;)

Also, please post a photo of the Custom Build Specifications sheet, because the G&L Registry entry you added, lists the body color as 2-Tone Sunburst Nitro but, AFAIK, the factory has not done a
Rustic version of the SC-2 (2008-present). Also, the body wood will be listed in the CBS sheet, so I will be able to add that, too.

Fixed ! ;)

Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 am

meursault wrote:Damn... i was sure i was wrong... i didn't found the "basic" 2-tone finish on the registry... there is no spec sheets... the retailer said : alder body, maple neck...

I only have a crappy cellphone pic...

I emailed Dave with the two possible serial numbers. Here's his reply:

Hi Craig,

CLF67969 is an SC-2 in 2-Tone Sunburst, Dual Fulcrum vibrato, crème covers, rosewood board. No mention made of the body wood, so the default for an SC-2 in 2TS is alder. Shipped to EMP Music in Netherlands on October 30, 2013.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

I will correct the G&L Registry entry.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 19, 2016 10:00 pm

2 possible serial numbers ? I made a mistake about that too ??

Fri May 20, 2016 4:23 am

Meursault, you have good taste. My SC-2 looks very similar to yours ( Tobacco Burst ). Play it lots .

Fri May 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Well... to be honest if I had the choice, I would have not chosen a burst but a red Fullerton or a black one... that 2-tone was the only one around at an affordable price... but... now that I see it in person the "like" thing make its way... ^^

Still not had the opportunity to plug it... I'll have to wait Wednesday... it drives me crazy...

Fri May 20, 2016 10:14 pm

I would probably not order two tone too , but seeing is believing and that two tone is a real beauty , the pup covers go perfect with the two tone , sweet ...... had my 2013 out last saturday

Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 pm

Ho my god ! Is that a legit sc-2 funny face ?... I'll have to work it out! :evilgrin:

Don't see the finish of yours very well... looks like Ruby red !?

Fri May 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Nice shot Eric :happy0065:

Sat May 21, 2016 8:30 am

Elwood wrote:Nice shot Eric :happy0065:

+1 :happy0065:

Sat May 21, 2016 8:50 am

:shocked003: --Darwin

Sat May 21, 2016 9:51 am

meursault wrote:Ho my god ! Is that a legit sc-2 funny face ?... I'll have to work it out! :evilgrin:

Don't see the finish of yours very well... looks like Ruby red !?

Ruby Red , my 2nd new G&L and still one of my favorites , would like to have one with saddle lock ...

My Heavy Metal face , lol ..... we were the last band playing in a Metal fest , found out we are not really Metal but played with some REAL Heavy Metal Bands , one guy must of had 500 studs on his jeans , he had 40 3 inch spikes sticking through his guitar strap and everything !! , I could have just watched them the whole show ...lol , soooo I had to do something ...lol

Sat May 21, 2016 10:54 am

cool pic, Eric. you guys play originals?

Sat May 21, 2016 11:41 am

we currently have 6 originals and two more getting close ...... a couple of our Band's ( Circus Ricky ) original songs has been in the top 10 on Reverb Nation in our area of Ohio for about the last 4 months but we still need about 6 to 8 more good songs , good being the key word , lol

Sat May 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Great picture ! Awesome. Funny enough about my Tobacco burst SC-2, I was going to get a white one but the Tobacco came with a case instead of the gigbag. It looks way better in person, I'll have to try to take better pictures of it.

Sun May 22, 2016 3:04 am

Wish it had a saddle lock too... the DF is pretty cool and stay well in tune but since I often change my tunings it's a little pain in the you-know-what to tune the all thing each time... ^^

Sun May 22, 2016 7:57 am

meursault wrote:Wish it had a saddle lock too... the DF is pretty cool and stay well in tune but since I often change my tunings it's a little pain in the you-know-what to tune the all thing each time... ^^

of course , 2 DF SC 2's would also work ...lol ..... I still would like to have a saddle lock though , I had about 6 DF guitars before I found out about the Beauty of a Saddle Lock bridge

Sun May 22, 2016 8:09 am

Fumble fingers wrote:
meursault wrote:Wish it had a saddle lock too... the DF is pretty cool and stay well in tune but since I often change my tunings it's a little pain in the you-know-what to tune the all thing each time... ^^

of course , 2 DF SC 2's would also work ...lol ..... I still would like to have a saddle lock though , I had about 6 DF guitars before I found out about the Beauty of a Saddle Lock bridge

Pure GAS generator ! :mrgreen:

Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am

family pic ! ^^

SC_2

Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 am

Beautiful !!

Thu May 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanx FF ! I'm waiting a black 3-ply PG for the classic... she's gonna a be mean... ^^

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:44 am

Just curious, but I also change tunings a lot and I have a DF on my SC-2. Is it possible to replace the DF bridge with a saddle lock? Would the footprint be big enough to cover the holes? Would it screw into the string block and body if this were possible? Would there be enough initial height where you wouldn't run the saddle height adjustment screws fully out?

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 am

shaman wrote:Just curious, but I also change tunings a lot and I have a DF on my SC-2. Is it possible to replace the DF bridge with a saddle lock? Would the footprint be big enough to cover the holes? Would it screw into the string block and body if this were possible? Would there be enough initial height where you wouldn't run the saddle height adjustment screws fully out?

Check out this post: SC-2 Dual Fulcrum switch to Saddle Lock?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:32 am

Craig wrote:
shaman wrote:Just curious, but I also change tunings a lot and I have a DF on my SC-2. Is it possible to replace the DF bridge with a saddle lock? Would the footprint be big enough to cover the holes? Would it screw into the string block and body if this were possible? Would there be enough initial height where you wouldn't run the saddle height adjustment screws fully out?

Hope this helps.

Hey Craig, thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! Reading through the posts makes me wonder whether I should try to "block" it. Then, I see where the possibility exists where the extension that nestles into the body with the Saddle Lock may fit into the vibrato cavity, without any additional routing. I'm still trying to weigh the options. I'd love to see some specs on the Saddle Lock, you know, the dimensions or blueprint drawings. Or come across a "sample" Saddle Lock to physically check the fit myself.
Thanks again! I'll keep looking for a solution and keep you posted of my progress.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:38 am

shaman wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hey Craig, thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! Reading through the posts makes me wonder whether I should try to "block" it. Then, I see where the possibility exists where the extension that nestles into the body with the Saddle Lock may fit into the vibrato cavity, without any additional routing. I'm still trying to weigh the options. I'd love to see some specs on the Saddle Lock, you know, the dimensions or blueprint drawings. Or come across a "sample" Saddle Lock to physically check the fit myself.
Thanks again! I'll keep looking for a solution and keep you posted of my progress.

You are welcome. I do recommend you try blocking the DF Trem first.

For info on the Saddle-Lock bridge, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum: G&L Saddle-Lock bridge details.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Craig wrote:
shaman wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

You are welcome. I do recommend you try blocking the DF Trem first.

For info on the Saddle-Lock bridge, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum: G&L Saddle-Lock bridge details.

Well Craig,
Thank you once again, this is exactly the information I was looking for! I think initially, I was putting in the wrong terms for my searches and I was kinda getting lost in all the various posts... I'll call it a "senior moment" for lack of a better term for now. My concern if I decide to block it, is the DF plate height, which is probably the standard set-up height. I may play around with that a bit, just to try different "break angles" where the strings touch the saddles. Not sure if I'll accomplish anything by doing that, except running out of saddle screw thread... :shocked003:
Again, I thank you. Now I'm going back to sift through all the new info.
Have a great weekend!

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:54 pm

I agree with blocking the bridge. I have an early '90s Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with the new style two post knife edge tremolo. My luthier blocked it by lowering it onto the guitar body and adjusting the saddles to achieve proper action. Worked great. While this trem is similar to a DFV, I don't know if the same solution will work.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 am

Just curious...why not just buy an SC-2 with the Saddle Lock bridge already on it?

I have one for sale if you are interested.

Tom

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm

FZTNT wrote:Just curious...why not just buy an SC-2 with the Saddle Lock bridge already on it?

Tom

Agreed buying a guitar with the saddle-lock and selling the DFV model is the best solution; it's not as if they're super-rare in either configuration, and beats compromising to just get what you want.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm

FZTNT wrote:Just curious...why not just buy an SC-2 with the Saddle Lock bridge already on it?

Tom

Well... because I already have THIS one. I bought it from a friend of mine who needed to downsize his guitar collection. The only issue I have is that I don't use the vibrato very often and I'm concerned about it staying in tune, like when I do use it or if I rest my hand on the bridge.
I'm obviously not made of money, have a fixed income (retired) and can't afford to just go buy another one. I apparently assumed that the Saddle Locks and the DF's were similar enough on the top surface that the parts might be interchangeable. That being said, tell me about your SC-2 and do you have any pics? I could possibly be interested if I decide to sell mine.

~shaman
Last edited by shaman on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Danley wrote:

Tom

Agreed buying a guitar with the saddle-lock and selling the DFV model is the best solution; it's not as if they're super-rare in either configuration, and beats compromising to just get what you want.

I would prefer reversing the order; selling first, then buying a saddle lock. The money issue...

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:I agree with blocking the bridge. I have an early '90s Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with the new style two post knife edge tremolo. My luthier blocked it by lowering it onto the guitar body and adjusting the saddles to achieve proper action. Worked great. While this trem is similar to a DFV, I don't know if the same solution will work.

I've considered doing just that. Not sure if I'll have sufficient room on the height adjustment screws on the saddle if I anchor it flush to the body. And the anchor screws are beveled to allow a pivot (fulcrum). I could possibly block it at a determined height, but I'd prefer having the plate flush (for increased resonance?) I have a lot to consider.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate all the help I can get. Power is knowledge... or... something like that... :shocked028:

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:21 pm

You should be able to find longer saddle screws if necessary. Again, I don't know if this will work on a DFV.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm

shaman wrote:

Tom

Well... because I already have THIS one. I bought it from a friend of mine who needed to downsize his guitar collection. The only issue I have is that I don't use the vibrato very often and I'm concerned about it staying in tune, like when I do use it or if I rest my hand on the bridge.
I'm obviously not made of money, have a fixed income (retired) and can't afford to just go buy another one. I apparently assumed that the Saddle Locks and the DF's were similar enough on the top surface that the parts might be interchangeable. That being said, tell me about your SC-2 and do you have any pics? I could possibly be interested if I decide to sell mine.

~shaman

Please take the discussion of Tom's SC-2 for sale off this post. Tom can PM or EM you privately.

Thanks.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 pm

shaman wrote:
Tooslowhand wrote:I agree with blocking the bridge. I have an early '90s Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with the new style two post knife edge tremolo. My luthier blocked it by lowering it onto the guitar body and adjusting the saddles to achieve proper action. Worked great. While this trem is similar to a DFV, I don't know if the same solution will work.

I've considered doing just that. Not sure if I'll have sufficient room on the height adjustment screws on the saddle if I anchor it flush to the body. And the anchor screws are beveled to allow a pivot (fulcrum). I could possibly block it at a determined height, but I'd prefer having the plate flush (for increased resonance?) I have a lot to consider.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate all the help I can get. Power is knowledge... or... something like that... :shocked028:

Please read this post for properly blocking the DFV: How do I block the tremelo on my guitar?. You don't want to (or need to) lower the pivot bolts and deck the bridge plate on the body. The blocking of the trem block will give
you added resonance.

Hope this helps.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 am

Craig wrote:
shaman wrote:

Please read this post for properly blocking the DFV: How do I block the tremelo on my guitar?. You don't want to (or need to) lower the pivot bolts and deck the bridge plate on the body. The blocking of the trem block will give
you added resonance.

Hope this helps.

Got it.
Thanks for the link.

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:11 pm

I would have to agree with Craig and figured that he would ask to use the correct forum for this discussion. I will PM you in the near future, I,m kinda busy dealing with a major screw up at my pharmacy and getting my taxes completed by the deadline. Both very stressful. I will get the necessary pics and info together and PM you within the next few days.

Tom

Craig wrote:
shaman wrote:

Tom

~shaman

Please take the discussion of Tom's SC-2 for sale off this post. Tom can PM or EM you privately.

Thanks.

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 am

I do appreciate all the suggestions and all the help I can get, thank you!
One odd thing I've noticed about my SC-2, at the 3rd, 4th and 5th frets, when I slide up the neck, most often in the open D shape, my ring finger sometimes catches where the fret wire bevels to the neck (almost tore off the callus) Close inspection shows apparently unpolished edges facing the nut. All the frets are essentially unworn. Before I got this from a friend of mine, he said he rarely played it and needed to sell some guitars he wasn't using. Maybe he experienced this issue as well and *forgot* to mention this... I should give him a call. :fighting0030: