...and it's with a heavy heart.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Wow. I just left American Guitar & Band in Minnesota. After looking at one of Darwin's Bigsby modded ASAT's(great job, BTW!!!), I noticed a lefty ASAT Special next to it. Maple 12" neck w/ abalone do markers & tobacco burst finish. Brand new w/ the metal serial tag on headstock. Brand new...

It is the worst G&L I have ever seen. The neck is a disaster w/ the truss rod area completely unfinished and left squared on the top side by the glued-on board. There were rough spots all along the neck and it felt wrong. G&L is known for great necks, but this one is a loss. The pickguard was cut poorly and had pieces hanging off. The body looked good, but that was about it.

Darwin, tell me I'm wrong. Go there and check it out. I also agree w/ you about needing to go back to the waterslide decal. That is a MUST. I was going to pick this one up for Father's Day and take w/ me to record too... I almost cried in the store. Really.

Sincerely,

Will

Re: ...and it's with a heavy heart.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:37 pm

The pickguard doesn't shock me but the rest does. When I was working to make my aluminum guard the laser scanner made a guard that fit too tight, because the plastic guard was such a poor fit it was only able to be fit as it was plastic. Not sure how to feel about Chandler after something like that. How that escaped the factory is not a good thing.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Will, just back from a few days away. I am going to Plymouth and will stop by AG&B and check it out. Thanks for the comments on my Bigsby. If it stays around for a while I may find a home for it back here! Will post after looking at the ASAT lefty and am curious about the new serial plate. I haven't actually seen one. I will report in tomorrow evening.--Darwin

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Wow. That's not good Will. I'd expect to find a dud Tribute here and there, but a dud MIA instrument is concerning. After all, the US factory are famous for producing exceptional intruments.

FWIW, I still haven't played a dud Tribute. Some are better than others, but none have been awful (yet). And they don't have the microwave plate on the back. :D

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Darwin, thanks. Yeah, you did a great job! I saw that D. Invader read my topic soon after posting, so I wouldn't be surprised if that guitar gets pulled... I may have to go w/ a Suhr from Jerry's to bring on my recording jaunt. I wanted that ASAT though. I really did... Life is full of unexpected happenstances.

Cheers,

Will

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:43 pm

willross wrote: I saw that D. Invader read my topic soon after posting, so I wouldn't be surprised if that guitar gets pulled...

I did bring this to Dave and Steve's attention and they are looking into this.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:29 am

Great. I have a habit of measuring all guitars against my S-500. However, I was going to buy that guitar... Now what? Ah, it's my problem.

Cheers,

Will

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 am

Having played a 30th Anniversary Legacy that felt no different from a Mexi-Strat, I am surprised rather than shocked to hear this. While I have yet to see a G&L as shoddily assembled as the one you describe, I have to wonder whether standardization via CNC and Plek is robbing individual instruments of their quality, although many would argue the opposite.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Did it look anything like this one?

2011 Legacy Special, I thought at first that it must be a Tribby but it's a USA!!

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Duck, no. It is so bad I wish I brought a camera. However, I have a feeling that that guitar has been pulled from the floor. We'll see if Darwin was able to check it out. I don't want to mention the sticker price, but for that instrument it would be highway robbery...

Again, AG&B called me about this guitar for sale and my intention was to do so. Now I'm screwed and w/out a guitar. This "New" economy sucks! BTW, not a call or email regarding a remedy from either AG&B or G&L. I WAS to purchase that instrument...........

Unfortunately,

Will

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 pm

Just a side note: I have relationships with most if not all music shops in Minnesota. They know that if a high-end lefty or USA G&L comes in the door to call me. This is nice for them b/c lefties can hang on the wall a while and me for getting first dibs...

Cheers,

Will

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Will, I had a chance to stop by AG&B today. Every time I see my Bigsby I want to bring it back home. I looked at the ASAT Special and I noticed the flat underside of the fretboard. I compared the neck in general to my Bigsby and the appearance of the necks are almost identical. The satin finish would almost appear unfinished to some. The frets were dressed very well, no sharp edges or fret sprout, but I couldn't play it as I am no lefty for sure. I don't know what neck it has for size so that could be a preference issue. In the end I thought is was actually a sweet looking guitar so I headed home and started investigating. Here is what I discovered. I have three guitars built in 2010, a 30 Th Aniv. Asat Classic and an Asat Special and a Legacy. I hadn't noticed before but the fretboards were flat on the bottom side as you described. I then started checking some earlier builds and I found that the truss nut on the older models had a larger diameter. The new ones are smaller and the truss rod rout is smaller than the older models. It also appears that the route is made before the fretboard is applied although I am not sure. It looks to me like the neck would have more strength in that area now. Anyway, I prefer the gloss necks, especially the GOT necks but the satin ones are finished but almost appear to be unfinished as did the neck on my Blues Boy if given a quick look. Bottom line it I believe that it is another manufacturing change. I have found that my satin necks actually get better with a little wear and they start to gloss. You will ultimately hear from Craig as he always responds.-- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:07 pm

So, that's the way they're made now? Thanks for checking it out. I just don't want to bring it home and have to take sandpaper to it. The neck on the left side has a few rough patches too. However, based on your assessment, I'll stop in and make an offer...

Thanks again,

Will

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Will, I spent some more time tonight looking at the truss rod holes in the neck. The older ones that I have are all different, some centered well and some not. The thing that I notice is that the 2010's have identical sized holes and the truss rod screw is perfectly centered. I am convinced that the process has been refined. I really like the gloss necks but if the neck size feels good I would take a serious look at it. If it sounds good you could maybe use a very fine compound on the neck to gloss it up but I am not sure how thick the finish is. If it were mine I would highly gloss with poly and it would be a fine guitar. It all depends if you like the size of the neck. The body is really nice. Anyway, lefty's are not easy to find and I hope that whatever you decide works out for you. Thanks -- Darwin.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 pm

willross wrote:So, that's the way they're made now? Thanks for checking it out. I just don't want to bring it home and have to take sandpaper to it. The neck on the left side has a few rough patches too. However, based on your assessment, I'll stop in and make an offer...

Thanks again,

Will

Hi Will,

I heard back from Dave and Steve regarding this instrument.
Here are Steve's comments:

The truss rod access hole is now cut using the HAAS CNC router; where in the past it was a secondary, manual operation using a drill and small barrel sander. The new method allows for a cleaner hole that will not end up “out-of-round” as some of the older ones could. The other improvement with this method is consistent location of the truss rod nut. The depth and side-to-side location of the truss rod nut could vary and this would make certain necks much more difficult to adjust.

The Eastern Rock Maple we buy for neck tends to be very white in color and sometimes the clear satin finish can almost appear to be non-existent. We are looking at adding one more coat to see how much a difference that makes. We are also starting to offer what’s being called Light Tint Satin, where there is a slight amber tint to the finish and this might be a good alternative for a number of customers wanting a natural looking satin finish.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:54 pm

So, am I to understand that a new approach to manufacturing has resulted in necks that feel significantly different? That would explain why the 30th Anniversary felt so wrong to me. Or is the difference between GOT and satin finish on G&L necks far greater than I thought? Just wondering aloud.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 pm

CGT wrote:So, am I to understand that a new approach to manufacturing has resulted in necks that feel significantly different? That would explain why the 30th Anniversary felt so wrong to me. Or is the difference between GOT and satin finish on G&L necks far greater than I thought? Just wondering aloud.

I find there is quite a difference in feel between the Glossy necks and the Satin finished necks. I have both types of neck finishes and currently lean toward liking the Satin finished neck feel slighty more over the Glossy finished necks. The change to how the truss-rod hole is done would not change the feel of the neck. Which 30th Anniversary model are you referring to?

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 am

I'll be stopping by again today. Although the truss rod change threw me, it was the lack of sanding/finishing on the neck that was the main concern. There are burrs all over giving it a "thrown together" appearance. If I'm paying over a grand for a guitar, I'd like a little sand paper to be involved. Again, I'm going back with an open mind. My other alternatives are a used but pristine 91' ASAT Special or a Hahn 228.

Thanks,

Will

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:30 am

willross wrote:I'll be stopping by again today. Although the truss rod change threw me, it was the lack of sanding/finishing on the neck that was the main concern. There are burrs all over giving it a "thrown together" appearance. If I'm paying over a grand for a guitar, I'd like a little sand paper to be involved. Again, I'm going back with an open mind. My other alternatives are a used but pristine 91' ASAT Special or a Hahn 228.

Thanks,

Will

Hi Will,

If you have a camera handy, shoot some pics of the area you have concerns about.
Send them to me at craig@guitarsbyleo.com and I will forward them to Steve.

Hope this helps.