Dean Coy's F-100 Deluxe

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:01 pm

This was originally posted August, 2005 in the old GbL Gallery in the Owner Custom section:

Dean Coy says "This guitar started from parts (leftover or rejected?) at the factory during one of my visits on web site business.
David McLaren let me select this body from an area in the factory where the bodies are stacked like cordwood and covered in many
layers of polishing dust. Why this beautiful ASAT Deluxe body was there I don't know. The neck has an obvious cosmetic flaw (look at
the first fret) that would have made it a hard sell in the real world, but it never made it out of the factory. Not owning an Asat Deluxe was
one of the reasons I wanted this "Les Paully" guitar but I wanted to make it with all G&L parts, using Leo's real humbucker pick-ups from
a parted out F-100. I had had these pick-ups previously installed in one of my test bed G&L's and liked what I heard. No tone dropping
switches, just a 3 way with volume and tone knob. G&L master craftsman, Gene, took the raw finished neck and in five minutes of hand
sanding and polishing had it smooth as glass. I was impressed and asked Gene to assemble the rest of the guitar for me, which he did
over the period of several months. When I received the guitar and open the case I was blow away by this beauty confronting my eyes.
And after playing it I was was convinced that my idea was good one. How does it sound, well Leo's humbuckers have a lighter bottom
end than a standard HB and more of what you would come to expect out of his pick-up designs, with a nice full mid-range and ballsy highs.
I heard that my creation raised some eyes at the factory and was thoroughly test out by a few of the staff there. Hopefully this may spark the
return of the fine F-100 Humbucker pick-ups in some new G&L creation."

Re: Dean Coy's F-100 Deluxe

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:10 pm

I love it! The F100 pups are dark horse of the Leo designed pickups. They should be available on a wider range of instruments...

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:44 am

it is sweet !! .... my LE2 is my only F100 pick up guitar and I like it a lot , G&L could/should make/add it to the pick up option list and bring back the Cavalier pick up too

Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:37 am

No small thanks to Dean's gorgeous 2005 prototype, in 2006 production started on the 25th Anniversary Edition, with a total run of 250, which officially marked the return of the F-100 pickups in the BBE-era. This was followed by the reintroduction of the F-100 in Limited Edition and "run-of-the-mill" version shortly thereafter.

- Jos

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:55 pm

That, is one classy, well-designed, spontaneously-made ASAT!

Likewise, I would love to see Leo's F-100 pickups be an available option on all instruments, for an extra charge. Ditto for the Cavalier pickups and electronics.

Those pickups have a sound & life all of their own.

It's the sound of wood, magnetism and electricity breathing your music.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 am

An OP resurected from the previous board? This may be a sign G&L should create a new regular model! :angel:
I drooled (and almost pulled the trigger) over the 25th anniversary model. G&L has been working their range lately and I wonder why this one hasn't made it to the factory yet.
Oh yeah. I forgot the F-100. But I guess I find the ASAT sexier! :)