G&L will be offering some recent Prototype instruments

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:27 pm

I recently heard from Dave McLaren and he says:

we are going to list prototypes available for sale. We plan to sell them to dealers,
then include the dealer name and link. At some point we’ll make an archive. Check out
the G&L site and you’ll see tabs for prototypes under both guitars and basses.

Here are the links: Guitar Prototypes and Bass Prototypes.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed llinks to the web archive links

Re: G&L will be offering some recent Prototype instruments

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:06 pm

That Spalted Alder Bass is cool, I don't think I've seen spalted alder before.

Roasted Hard Maple?? ...that sound reallly intriguing, let's have that one sent to a NW dealer
so I can give it a test run ! ? :mrgreen:

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 am

if the bottom half of that comanche matched the top half, i'd be all over it.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 am

I love the black hardware on the L2K. Hopefully we will be seeing more of it soon!

Ken

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:09 am

Elwood wrote:That Spalted Alder Bass is cool, I don't think I've seen spalted alder before.

Roasted Hard Maple?? ...that sound reallly intriguing, let's have that one sent to a NW dealer

Elwood you are in luck! Available at: Bass Northwest in Seattle, WA http://www.bassnw.com .

For you Swirl finish fans ...

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:14 am

Dave has added this ASAT Deluxe:

Serial Number: CLF60531

Date Completed: October 18, 2011

Description: Alder body with Red Swirl finish, Black knurled knobs, bridge plate and Schaller tuners, Hard Rock Maple neck with Clear Satin finish. Seymour Duncan JB and ’59 pickups.

Special Features: G&L offered three colors of “swirl” finishes in the 1990s. The finish process requires a few layers of paint to achieve the swirl effect, and occasionally the layers may delaminate.
Though failures were infrequent, concern about the stability of this finish caused them to be discontinued. Though requests from dealers continued, G&L refused to take more orders. Well over a
decade later, the team decided to revisit the process using more contemporary materials and modified techniques. This red swirl ASAT Deluxe was the third attempt and has has held up for about
eight months. Satisfied that the performance of this prototype, the team has released it for sale. As of June 2012 no decision has been reached regarding the return of swirl finishes to production.

:geek:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Craig wrote:
Elwood wrote:That Spalted Alder Bass is cool, I don't think I've seen spalted alder before.

Elwood you are in luck! Available at: Bass Northwest in Seattle, WA http://www.bassnw.com .

!! ...I'll go and see Evan and co. and check it out, thanks for the heads up !

Re: For you Swirl finish fans ...

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Craig wrote:Dave has added this ASAT Deluxe:

Serial Number: CLF60531

Date Completed: October 18, 2011

Description: Alder body with Red Swirl finish, Black knurled knobs, bridge plate and Schaller tuners, Hard Rock Maple neck with Clear Satin finish. Seymour Duncan JB and ’59 pickups.

Special Features: G&L offered three colors of “swirl” finishes in the 1990s. The finish process requires a few layers of paint to achieve the swirl effect, and occasionally the layers may delaminate.
Though failures were infrequent, concern about the stability of this finish caused them to be discontinued. Though requests from dealers continued, G&L refused to take more orders. Well over a
decade later, the team decided to revisit the process using more contemporary materials and modified techniques. This red swirl ASAT Deluxe was the third attempt and has has held up for about
eight months. Satisfied that the performance of this prototype, the team has released it for sale. As of June 2012 no decision has been reached regarding the return of swirl finishes to production.

:geek:

Bastid! Now my wife's updated kitchen is in some serious jeopardy, lol! - ed
PS: Where is this one going?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:16 am

There are some beauties and unique instruments in the list but I'm interested in the pine Bluesboy with roasted maple neck. So how do I make it mine? Wait for the dealer to show up underneath? Factory direct?

- Jos

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:38 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:There are some beauties and unique instruments in the list but I'm interested in the pine Bluesboy with roasted maple neck. So how do I make it mine? Wait for the dealer to show up underneath? Factory direct?

- Jos

OMG !!! I didn't see that...

I'd sponsor a NW just-a jam somehow,somewhere if you promised to bring it Jos
( I know I'm jumping ahead a a bit ).

The roasted necks remind me of a comment Bonnie Raitt made about her favorite guitar -
" It sounds like Bacon ".

Well done Darth & Co. !! :)

Elwood

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 am

zapcosongs wrote:
Craig wrote:PS: Where is this one going?

Darwin's house?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:03 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:There are some beauties and unique instruments in the list but I'm interested in the pine Bluesboy with roasted maple neck. So how do I make it mine? Wait for the dealer to show up underneath? Factory direct?

- Jos

That one is my favourite too - I truly hope you own it one day Jos!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 pm

zapcosongs wrote:PS: Where is this one going?

Once a dealer orders it, Dave will add a link on the page showing which dealer has it.
If you interested in it and have a local dealer, you might contact that dealer
and ask them if they would consider ordering it. ;)

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 pm

- Jos

Either wait for a dealer to order it (no factory direct ordering) and it will be listed or contact your local dealer and
tell them you are interested in it and hope they will order it. That is definitely a very unique G&L Bluesboy. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:28 am

some very nice guitars, but the only one that would interest me is the comanche, and doesn't show up at the dealer listed.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Elwood wrote:

- Jos

The roasted necks remind me of a comment Bonnie Raitt made about her favorite guitar -

Looks like that guitar made it to Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-CLASSI ... 53edde6f39

Elwood

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Someone is going to grab that Bluesboy. If I didn't have such a wonderful one already, I'd be all over this!

Anybody have additional information on where the Deluxe with the swirl finish ended up? (Confession: I have not gone to the G&L web site for an update)? I want it but would have to sell something cool.... - ed

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:02 pm

MisterDNA wrote:
Looks like that guitar made it to Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-CLASSI ... 53edde6f39
]

Thanks for the heads up Mr DNA , and Welcome !

Elwood

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:31 am

Elwood wrote:
MisterDNA wrote:
]

Elwood

I almost went in there yesterday before band practice just to see what was hanging on the wall. Might have to make a run down there today!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:24 am

Great instruments and prices too! If I played "righty", I'd get a bank loan and buy them all...

Cheers,

Will

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:28 am

MisterDNA wrote:
Elwood wrote:

- Jos

Elwood

If this Bluesboy was a "lefty," it would no longer be for sale.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:49 am

Lefty wrote:
MisterDNA wrote:
Elwood wrote:

- Jos

Elwood

If this Bluesboy was a "lefty," it would no longer be for sale.

I'd say there's two hopes of a lefty G&L prototype for sale .... Bob Hope and

Kirk Douglas. :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Elwood wrote:
MisterDNA wrote:
]

Elwood

Thanks for the welcome Elwood.

I recently purchased a 30th Anniversary ASAT Special. An absolutely beautiful instrument.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:28 am

So which one of you guys bought this one? I was really thinking hard about buying this one myself.

Elwood wrote:

- Jos

Elwood

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Not I, (there will be more, there will be more...)

Jos?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Elwood wrote:Not I, (there will be more, there will be more...)

Jos?

Um .... yes :oops:

- Jos :thumbup:

BTW My wife and I finished our camping trip on return to the Emerald City with dinner at Ray's Boathouse Café at sunset. And they have this wonderful dessert (actually the downstairs diner has it on the menu but you can still ask for it upstairs): 3 ports each paired with a particular chocolate made by Theo. And the color combination of this guitar reminds me of that every time. So from here on out this guitar (at least to me) will be known as 'Port & Chocolate'.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Jos - you really do need #'s 39 and 40 to round off the collection. then you can start heading to mid-century land. it's amazing how quickly they "pile" up. one day i turned around and counted 64 cases in my storage space. :)

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Bastid!

- ed

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:12 pm

jonc wrote:Jos - you really do need #'s 39 and 40 to round off the collection. then you can start heading to mid-century land. it's amazing how quickly they "pile" up. one day i turned around and counted 64 cases in my storage space. :)

LOL... been there myself...had to hire a crew to help move the plethora of instruments...rhodes,hammonds,mixers
and a piano...but the 40 feet of guitar/bass cases seemed the most daunting of tasks.

I'm really looking forward to your impressions Jos, especially considering you have probably developed quite an ear for subtle differences in ASAT builds.

If I had an pressure-cooker that I could fit a guitar neck in I would be trying to transfer my bread-baking skills to baking maple necks. It really looks like G&L's source has it down pat.

Stay safe, (we've had some crazy bolts coming down just across the water from you...I think a restaurant
on bainbridge was hit by lightning last night :( )

( skip to 11:04 )
[youtube]75jPR5yB31s[/youtube]

Congrats Jos,

Elwood

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:07 pm

jon - Know what you're talking about. And I'm well on my way to have to scale the pile of cases to get to places in the house. Mt Rainier Mountaineering Club to the rescue to teach me some skills? ;)

ed - I love it when you call me 'Bastid!' :happy0007:

Elwood - Thanks man. Here it has been rumbling all day but no near hits. And let me know whenever you get around to organize that NW Jam. I might have the guitar to bring by then ;)

Of course I'll provide the mandatory photographic evidence and sound report when it's here. And then I'm interested on how well that roasted maple holds up over time ...

- Jos

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:29 am

Some more guitar and bass prototypes have recently been added. :thumbup:

Check them out here: Guitar Prototypes and Bass Prototypes.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:05 am

Now I realize why I missed the action. I was on vacation during that time. A poor old retired guy needs a vacation!! I would like the Red Swirl too -- Darwin

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Here's two more which just got added:

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Wow. I don't know how I missed these prototypes. If I lived in the US I'd be all over the Sunset Coral Z-3 or Dusk Rose Legacy. Love those colours. And I can see that my wife might actually let them in the house. :o

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:12 am

Wild. That Sunset Coral Z3 is a beauty. You should get it Phil :D

It's so cool that G&L are selling these off rather than destroying them or just parting them out.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 am

The Sunset Coral color really appeals to me. Hope it's a keeper! -ed

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 am

I'm thinking that Sunset Coral on an SC-2 (SC-SC-2???) would look fantastic.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:I'm thinking that Sunset Coral on an SC-2 (SC-SC-2???) would look fantastic.

..may I paraphrase ? ...

SC² = mmmmmm... Image

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:00 pm

I see black hardware!

Some pretty neat guitars there, for sure.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:26 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:I'm thinking that Sunset Coral on an SC-2 (SC-SC-2???) would look fantastic.

It would immediately go to my top three favorites. I recently came across a 70s Japanese copy of a Fender Jazz in this color. I almost bought it just for the appearance. This would be beautiful on an SC-2. I will seriously consider buying a new ASAT Bass in this color if it becomes available.

Ken

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:46 am

louis cyfer wrote:if the bottom half of that comanche matched the top half, i'd be all over it.

The body doesn't bother me, but the maple board does. If it had ebony, it would look so much cooler. :)

Also, I see several "Old-School Tobacco Burst" finishes. Love it! I had an ASAT Classic in the OSTB that I never should have sold; to my eye, the OTSB looks loads better than the more modern variant.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Just checking in see whether there's any news regarding whether we might see more guitars in the "Sunset Coral" color. It appears to me in my dreams, which can only mean one thing: I have GAS! - ed

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:10 am

Ed, I just happened to check the G&L web site yesterday and they have pictures of the prototypes and list which dealers that have them. Some of them may have been sold as I believe Jos has one but it was fun to look at them. There are really some cool ones especially with the roasted necks.-- Darwin

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:58 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Someone is going to grab that Bluesboy. If I didn't have such a wonderful one already, I'd be all over this!

The ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Korina) is now my most treasured possession. I have never even played such a an indescribably beautiful instrument before. Sorry, she will never be for sale again...visitors always welcome.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Congratulations! So glad it went to someone here who can appreciate it properly. -ed

PS: Welcome, btw!

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

More Prototype instruments have been recently added and most will be available for sale to G&L Dealers in Mid-March 2013.
Check the G&L Guitar Prototypes and G&L Bass Prototypes for more detail on each and from which G&L Dealer each prototype can be purchased from.

Prototype Guitars:

Prototype Basses:

Last edited by Craig on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more added

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Dear Lord, give me strength....... - ed

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:07 pm

ed, you can have them. not one appeals to me. a few cool ones, but i'd need to change a few things at least.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:42 am

Well, I just got the Legacy with the pine body and neck...
Last edited by Its_Him_Again on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:09 am

That is really nice. It should be light. I love the pine body Asat I have. I would also like to try a pine neck. That is a nice transparent Red. I will bet the grain shows more in person.-- Darwin