Finally got a G&L. Can you guys answer a few questions?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

G&L was my dream guitar since a kid. I finally netted one in a trade and am looking to do a bit of clean up on it.

I think it's an early Tribute model. It's a Legacy. Flat white pick guard where I see a whole bunch of pics of new ones have the pearloid pickguard. Maybe 2004? So my first question would be where to obtain myself a new pickguard?

Secondly, the fretboard is fantastic, but the neck has a bit of damage on the back of it. Nothing major, but I think I'd like to get a new neck. I know G&L necks are hard to come by, but if I find a 4 bolt non Tribute Legacy neck, would it be interchangeable?

Finally, the tremolo on this thing is pretty weak. It only has two springs loaded in the back. I was gonna put another spring off of a parts guitar onto it, but it was a bit tighter and shorter than the other two springs. Do G&L's come with three and the previous owner took one out to lower the action/tremolo or is 2 the usual way it goes?

Finally. How do I remove the trem arm? Is that a hex key hole near it that loosens the trem arm?

TIA!!!!!

Re: Finally got a G&L. Can you guys answer a few questions?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 pm

There are a few guys on E-bay that are taking apart new and NOS tribbies and partsing them out, You should have no problem finding all the parts you need and yes there is a hex key you need to loosen to remove the trem bar

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks.

One more question.

If I end up painting my headstock is there anywhere I can purchase G&L decals?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Zuhzuhzombie wrote:Thanks.

One more question.

Sorry, but I hope not. :BadIdea:

Otherwise the market is going to be flooded with tributes and parts guitars magically turned into U.S.A. models to be sold on E-bay.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Marty wrote:
Zuhzuhzombie wrote:Thanks.

One more question.

Sorry, but I hope not. :BadIdea:

Otherwise the market is going to be flooded with tributes and parts guitars magically turned into U.S.A. models to be sold on E-bay.

I agree. No disrespect meant but IMO a Tribute is a Tribute -- G&L logos belong on G&L guitars.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Chandler can help you with a custom pickguard.

http://www.pickguardheaven.com

Dave

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:10 am

Zuhzuhzombie wrote:Finally. How do I remove the trem arm? Is that a hex key hole near it that loosens the trem arm?

Just pull it out. That hex key screw just lets you fix the arm in a horizontal position if you like.

Zuhzuhzombie wrote:If I end up painting my headstock

Don't overdo! Just play it and focus the next aim: Getting a G&L made in USA.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:15 am

Zuhzuhzombie wrote:G&L was my dream guitar since a kid. I finally netted one in a trade and am looking to do a bit of clean up on it.

I think it's an early Tribute model. It's a Legacy. Flat white pick guard where I see a whole bunch of pics of new ones have the pearloid pickguard. Maybe 2004?

The Serial number is coded in the following manner:
yymmxxxxx, where yy: year and mm: month
xxxxx: serial number produced in the month, 'mm'

yymmxxxx (Made In Korea Tribute Models only)
yymmxxxxx (Made In Indonesia Tribute Models only)
Lyymmxxxx (Made In China Tribute Models only)

I'm not sure if the Made In Japan Tribute Models are coded with yymm, but they have a serial number format of seven digits (xxxxxxx).

Hope this helps.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:
Zuhzuhzombie wrote:Don't overdo! Just play it and focus the next aim: Getting a G&L made in USA.

Believe me! This is the plan! Dunno what I want, though. Maybe a Legacy HH. Anything new might be out of my price range though. I found a good vintage F100 but the fretboard radius is really really small. If anything either a Legacy HH or an S500.

Might trade this Tribute for a good Hofner and then start over. Just not sure yet!

Only reason I wanted a decal was because I considered modding this guitar out. I already have a Seymour Duncan in it and a coil tap.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 am

I just bought a Legacy Tribute and the dealer was going to swap out the necks (a maple for a rosewood) neck...Exact same models but the holes DID NOT line up...so be careful assuming that all the Legacy Tribute heads are interchangeble ...Good Luck :)

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 am

jsg12 wrote:Exact same models but the holes DID NOT line up...

So they are heavily hand crafted? :)

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 pm

One more question fellas.

The tremelo has two springs attached in the back. There's a center hook for a third string, but the ground wire is on it. I have another spring. Do the tremelos usually come equipped with 3? What about the ground wire?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Zuhzuhzombie wrote:The tremelo has two springs attached in the back. There's a center hook for a third string, but the ground wire is on it. I have another spring. Do the tremelos usually come equipped with 3? What about the ground wire?

In my experience, they usually come with 2 springs installed. I know what you're talking about though. On my George Fullerton I had the same 'problem'. However, I was able to overcome it by carefully folding over the ground wire and bend the eye on the spring a little more such that is slides over the ground wire without pinching it. Another approach is to have one spring installed more diagonally by attaching it to the third hole on the tremolo block and share one of the lugs in the claw with one of the other springs. You might want to losen up the string a little more in that case to reduce the tension so you can easily stretch that third spring.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Zuhzuhzombie wrote:One more question fellas.

The tremelo has two springs attached in the back. There's a center hook for a third string, but the ground wire is on it. I have another spring. Do the tremelos usually come equipped with 3? What about the ground wire?

Don't worry about the ground wire, it shouldn't interfere with anything. If you like having 3 springs, go for it.
It will work good with 2 as well, it comes down to what feels right to you.

Happy Tweaking....
BW