Ordering my first G&L. Have a few questions...

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:36 am

Hello all. This is my first post here and I'm hoping to find a little help. I've been playing off and on for about 30 years (I'm 40). I have almost always had Les Paul style guitars except for a brief period with an American Strat about 10 years ago. I recently decided to buy myself a Strat as kind of a 40th b-day gift. Money isn't an issue so I've been playing everything I can including a few of the signature model Fenders. My problem has been that nothing was really jumping out at me until I wandered into an old music store in my city and tried a G&L Legacy. I'd never heard much about G&L and never considered buying one. The Legacy was just beautiful for me. Tone, playability, and especially quality were just far better than all of the Fenders I've tried. Sorry for the long intro, now my questions:

I'm going to order a Legacy. I was told it could take a couple of months to receive it. Is that typical when ordering one of these?

Also, I loved everything about it except for the gloss neck. I have had a couple glossed in the past and always hit them with 0000 steel wool, but I'd rather order a satin finish if possible. Is this an option when ordering one? If not, what is the difference between Clear Gloss and Gun Oil Gloss?

I've always bought guitars that I've been able to play first before I buy it so I'm a little concerned with buying it this way. While I really liked the one I tried, I'd prefer different colors than the sunburst and white pickguard. Are the G&L's consistent with their quality or is it possible that I just tried a very nice one. They only have one American made in stock. .

Any other advice or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Al

Re: Ordering my first G&L. Have a few questions...

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am

Al, when I special ordered by S500, it took a couple of months, so that sounds right. You should be able to specify neck finish.
I prefer the satin finish myself, as I find the glossy necks a bit sticky.
The quality for G&L's is high across the board. I have played a bunch of G&L's and have yet to play an absolute dog (can't say the same for Fender!)

Definately post some pics when that bad boy arrives!

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Don't worry about the quality and feel. Just make sure you order the neck carve you want.

If this was 10 or 20 years ago I'd say you must play before you buy but G&L, these days, is hitting home run after home run. The last three I bought were through the mail and they were all fantastic in every way.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to order with the satin finish on the neck and I was told that the one I tried had the #1 neck. I'm considering the 1a Slim C option as well. Are these considered standard options or is there an additional charge? Unfortunately the man I spoke with was not the expert on G&L's but gave me the card of someone who works there that is. I haven't had an opportunity to speak with him. They are also the only G&L dealer around. I also noticed an option for a Graph Tech Nut. I'm sure that is an additional cost. Is the standard nut plastic? Does the tuning hold reasonably well with the standard nut and normal trem use?
Thanks again for the help.
Al

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Also, are there any online dealers for G&L or can these only be purchased through a local dealer?
Thanks

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Upgrades like nuts and neck profile aren't going to set you back much. Don't worry about that. Stuff like figured maple and gold hardware, etc., set you back some real $

With that being said, however, you can upgrade like mad on most models and get a street price of something in the 1500-1700 range -- something beyond Fender custom shop but for half the price or less. If you poke around online you might find what you want and pay less than ordering one.

Yes, there are a few really good online dealers that I have used:

Wolfe Guitars
http://www.wolfeguitars.com/

Guitar Adoptions
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/

Buffalo Brothers
http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:21 pm

I've bought all mine from stock.

Of all the outfits out there, ordering from G + L has the most appeal for me. But I'm a romantic; nothing like choosing a mate.

If ordering I'd get the graphtech nut - I prefer that to the stock high density plastic nut in the way it is shaped/ formed. The substance the nut is made from is almost a wash, IMO.

I've visited Wolfe and Buffalo Brothers each more than once. Wolfe has a massive inventory; they clearly do a LOT of web sales. Right off I-95. Buffalo Brothers is on 101 in an open area next to an estuary, inland from I-5 in a delightful area North of San Diego. Their stock was great on earlier visits but down last time; they'd just sold a boatload of guitars - I was just late getting there.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:31 pm

As others have said, Jay Wolfe and Buffalo Brothers are great places to buy. Without knowing what city you're in, you may also want to check the G&L store locater to see if there's a dealer near you.

http://www.glguitars.com/us%20dealers/index.asp

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:30 am

I found one here: http://www.rocketmusic.net/cgi-bin/comm ... n&key=2523

I was ready to order one this weekend when I found this one. After reading everything on their website I called and talked to someone who I think was the owner. Everything felt good and the guitar is almost exactly what I would order except for maybe the nut upgrade so I went ahead and bought it for an excellent price that was well below the listed price on the website. The neck finish is Satin too which was the most important of all for me. The guy seemed very professional and I have 7 days to return it if necessary. This is way out of character for me so I hope it works out well.

When it arrives, is there a quick way to check the serial number? Where is it located? What should be included with it - certificate, manual, wrench, etc. ?
Has anyone ever heard of or used this store?

Thanks for all of the replies. I did check out all of the stores suggested but there was a very limited selection. I will post an update when it arrives next week.
-Al

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:16 am

I've dealt with Greg (owner, I believe) at Rocketmusic a couple of times on Genz Benz amps. Straight shooter and a good guy. He's active on Talkbass (I'm a bass player). Never bought a G&L from him but have known/seen a couple of folks buy them over at TB (a couple of blue flake basses - a JB2 and a JB that were very flashy).

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:27 pm

alpjr wrote:When it arrives, is there a quick way to check the serial number? Where is it located? What should be included with it - certificate, manual, wrench, etc. ?l

Hey Al,

It is not entirely clear whether it is used or new, but I'll assume it is. In that case the S/N is on the back of the headstock and it should indeed come with certificate, wrenches (for neck, saddles, etc.) and set of keys for the case, although on a paperclip works as well ;)

Congrats! Don't forget to register the instrument in the GbL Registry and put up some pics when you have them.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 am

WOW! That is a gorgeous Legacy. Good choice! And, thanks for the heads-up on the dealer you purchased it from. Congrats! :thumbup:

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:30 pm

It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I'll give an update soon. As for the dealer, so far they've been great to deal with. It is a new guitar and comes with everything it should but was up on their wall and played a bit. During setup, they noticed some light pick marks on the pick guard so they contacted me to let me know. They gave me a great price and threw in a surprise too and assured me that it is perfect otherwise. I'm anxious to see it. I have 7 days to return it if I'm not satisfied. I hope it turns out well.
Al

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Well, it arrived yesterday and unfortunately I'm returning it. It is a beautiful guitar and the scratch on the pickguard is a non issue. My problem with it is that the neck has a completely raw finish. The guy that I ordered from did say that it had an "almost raw" feeling to the neck but that it had a satin finish. To me, it seems just raw on the back and front. Anyway, I played it last night for a couple of hours trying to convince myself that I like it. The fretwork, rolled edges and overall build quality are perfect not too mention the beautiful tone. I just know that I'd never be happy with the neck (not) finished that way. It did however cement the fact that I want to order a new one. These are just beautiful guitars.

As far as the store, Rocket Music, they have been excellent to deal with. They threw in some cool free items with it that I'll be returning and are courteous and professional. I wouldn't hesitate to buy there again.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. When I finally order and receive my new one, I'll post some pics.
Al

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi,

I got a guitar that I thought had an unfinished neck also. I'll bet that if you pull the neck, you will see that it is LIGHTLY finished.

edg

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 pm

After spending some more time with it tonight, I do believe it is lightly finished as you suggest. There is just the slightest bit of sheen to it if I hold it under a light, only on the back side, the fretboard is raw; but really it is an issue of feel. I've tried at least 15 to 20 different guitars over the past month, all different brands and finishes and this one is the closest to raw that I've ever felt. It is really a great guitar and I'm so tempted to keep it but in the long run I know that I'll be more satisfied if I get one that is exactly what I want.

Al

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm

I never new ordered a guitar before but I can Imagine if I did, I wouldn't be happy if something was not to my liking, But, you say you like every other aspect of this paticular guitar, why not just send back the neck ( or the whole guitar) and have them spray a couple more coats of satin poly on it rather then return this one and order a completly different one.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:02 pm

alpjr wrote:After spending some more time with it tonight, I do believe it is lightly finished as you suggest. There is just the slightest bit of sheen to it if I hold it under a light, only on the back side, the fretboard is raw; but really it is an issue of feel. I've tried at least 15 to 20 different guitars over the past month, all different brands and finishes and this one is the closest to raw that I've ever felt. It is really a great guitar and I'm so tempted to keep it but in the long run I know that I'll be more satisfied if I get one that is exactly what I want.

Al

It's a light satin finish -- the fretboard is finished this way as well, it's not raw
I have two like this. They get smooth and silky the more you play on them.

Nonetheless, if you prefer thicker finishes (I have two other G&Ls with the thicker gloss finishes and they're great too) then send it back.