9's?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:57 pm

I noticed that Fender puts 9-42's on their guitar's in most cases. I have a G&L Invader XL Standard and have been thinking going that route myself since I'm just a casual player when I get the chance. Pro's vs Con's? Thanks!

Re: 9's?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Well 9's definately feel easier to play, but I find they sound kind of wimpy. For a casual player I would think they'd be fine. :thumbup:

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:54 pm

I have alway's used 9's on my SC1 since I bought it new in 1982. The first thing I did when I got my Legacy HB premium last week is put new 9's on it. I never thought they were wimpy. I'm not sure they are the right choice for a casual player as they are easy to bend out of tune especially while chording. JMHO.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:59 pm

I just grabbed my F-100 last night, mostly because it's the only guitar I have that is strung with 9's. It is much easier on my fingers, with bends taking much less effort. I need all the help I can get. I think I may string an ASAT up with 9's to see how I like it.

BTW: The neck on that old F-100 is pure sweet.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:09 pm

I prefer 10's...but 9' s have allowed me to play pain free with hand issues.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 pm

dmichaels122 wrote: I never thought they were wimpy. I'm not sure they are the right choice for a casual player as they are easy to bend out of tune especially while chording. JMHO.

That's what I meant, they're really easy to bend out of tune. I think they sound a little thin as well. Mind you, I play 11's, so even 10's feel a little small... :D

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks all. I have a Tribute S500 that I purchased new about a year ago and I'm pretty sure it has 10's from the factory (could be 9's - don't know). I purchased a used Invader XL Standard & I know it has 10's on it because I have the box and according to the previous owner. The Tribute S500 is a little easier to play which I'm kinda thinking is maybe the 9" fretboard and what appears to be a lower action (the Invader has a high action). What throws me a little bit is my Larrivee RS4. It has 10's and the action is very very low and the 10's feel a little soft to my liking. Only the RS4 has had a professional set-up. Three guitars, three totally different feels, three totally different actions. I think I'll most likely stay with the 10's on the Invader and have a set-up done and see what happens.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:12 am

I recently went back to 9s. I like the tone better and I don't have to pound on it to get the dynamics I'm looking for. I would much rather use a lighter pick attack, it just seems to be more accurate for me, plus the pain & fatigue factor (alas... I'm not young anymore :music002:!).

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:28 am

yardbird mac wrote:(alas... I'm not young anymore :music002:!).

I hear ya! I just turned 56 last week and just took up electric guitar 19 months ago. The fingers do have a mind of their own sometimes. I still like the hard rock / metal stuff though. :elguitar054:

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:16 pm

shawn500 wrote:
dmichaels122 wrote: I never thought they were wimpy. I'm not sure they are the right choice for a casual player as they are easy to bend out of tune especially while chording. JMHO.

That's what I meant, they're really easy to bend out of tune. I think they sound a little thin as well. Mind you, I play 11's, so even 10's feel a little small... :D

Yeah, I play 11s as well, so when I pick up a guitar with 9s, it feels really weird to me.....like loose rubber bands or something to that effect.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 pm

If you have a set of 10's on the guitar then try tuning down half a step as that will give you an idea of the feel of 9's.
Personally I use 10'd dropped down half a step. which suits me.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:10 pm

John_L wrote:If you have a set of 10's on the guitar then try tuning down half a step as that will give you an idea of the feel of 9's.
Personally I use 10'd dropped down half a step. which suits me.

Great suggestion!!!! Thank you very much!!!!! :happy0065:

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I use Fender Super Bullet 9-42 on all my G&Ls. There's no reason to not use the 9-42. I use D'Addario 10-42 on most of my Gibsons, but a couple work well with the hybrid 9-46 gauge strings.

If you want a bendable top three and bit more stiffness from the bass strings, try the 9-46.

Bill