ASAT Jr. Weird Serial?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:36 pm

I up and plunged into an ASAT Jr. (Thanks to Darth's praise on the website, and raves here on the forum over the years) but the serial number is a little odd. It's a CLF103xx number, but the build number (out of 250) is in the 50s, and it just seems out of order with the either the surrounding serial numbers or the surrounding build numbers. Should I be worried? (It's not no. 54, which had a broken headstock a few years ago, per the Registry). BTW it SOUNDS and PLAYS great. And no, I'm not going to pull the neck myself. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Re: ASAT Jr. Weird Serial?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:33 pm

tomanche wrote:I up and plunged into an ASAT Jr. (Thanks to Darth's praise on the website, and raves here on the forum over the years) but the serial number is a little odd. It's a CLF103xx number, but the build number (out of 250) is in the 50s, and it just seems out of order with the either the surrounding serial numbers or the surrounding build numbers. Should I be worried? (It's not no. 54, which had a broken headstock a few years ago, per the Registry). BTW it SOUNDS and PLAYS great. And no, I'm not going to pull the neck myself. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Perhaps it had a neck issue (or damaged neck) and was replaced with a CLF format serial numbered neck. The CL format serial numbers were only used for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. If the neck was replaced a year or two after the build date, the neck would have likely been replaced with a CLF serial numbered one. The neck on an ASAT Junior is unique to that model (Mahogany, Ebony fretboard, clear cherry finish on headstock and back of neck and the Limited Edition sticker on the back of the headstock). If the neck
on your Jr. matches those attributes, I would not be worried.

My 2 cents.

Re: ASAT Jr. Weird Serial?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks for your quick reply! That seems like a reasonable explanation. The neck is definitely to spec in that its mahogany with ebony board, and the color matches the body nicely. I did forget to say that it does NOT have the sticker on the back of the headstock (which I could see in a blurry photo on an Elderly listing from February (different Jr.). And it has the "Guitars by Leo" below the G&L name on the front of the headstock. I know (from the FAQs) that parts get made in batches and then pulled together somewhat "randomly" so that completion dates and serial numbers can vary widely. But this seemed like it could be outside that range.