Serial number

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Ok I am new to this site . I found the link that said the "born date" can be found under the neck,honestly I am afraid to take the neck off because I would never get it back togther. I have a G&L ASAT serial number G021764. It is naural wood. Can anyone help me find out what year it is without taking it apart?

Re: Serial number

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I found one just a few numbers after yours in the Registry. It was G021770....pretty close and it's a 1987

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Nettie Mc wrote:Ok I am new to this site . I found the link that said the "born date" can be found under the neck,honestly I am afraid to take the neck off because I would never get it back togther. I have a G&L ASAT serial number G021764. It is naural wood. Can anyone help me find out what year it is without taking it apart?

You should review the following links for details about G&L serial numbering:

How do I determine an instrument's age?
Serial number significance

Hope this helps.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:59 pm

jazzrat wrote:I found one just a few numbers after yours in the Registry. It was G021770....pretty close and it's a 1987

Hey, my guitar resembles that remark. Yes, that's my '87 ASAT that has a serial number so close to yours. That being the case, I suspect that yours has a serif style "ASAT" on the headstock, a metal string tree, and crinkle black hardware and pickguard. Mine has those features and is a clear natural over swamp ash body, and a relatively light weight one at that. Please add yours to the registry here and provide us with pictures if possible. We're all eyes.

If you're not comfortable taking off the neck, don't do it. Hang around here a abit, ask questions, peruse the FAQ section, and make a tentative plan to remove the neck when you do your next string change. You can do it without removing the strings but I think it makes it easier and safer when you remove them 1st. Use your phillip's head screwdriver that has a good bite, as you don't want to slip off the screws. Whatever you do, do not loosen those screws on the neckplate without loosening the strings a lot, or removing them. It has been done and has dire consequences.

Congratulations on what sounds like a great ASAT.