From a Les Paul to a G&L !

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:49 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here (and quite an undertaking it was to find the forum and register !) so hello to you all from Belgium!

I would like some advice on a guitar I'm hoping to buy soon. Part of the problem with this particular brand is that i can't just go out and try a few because the shops don't carry them ! And there's no info either on the G&L website appart from pictures.

As a bass player I own 3 G&L basses and have become addicted to them.

But when choosing a guitar, it is confusing to me. They have tens of different pickup positionings for the same guitar, 4 different groups of ASAT guitars, some others that don't fit in to a group ( F100, Comanche) and the Invaders and the Legacy !

Unfortunately there's no explanation on the G&L website for the differences between them all so I thought I'd try to find wisdom on the forum.

My question is : I play a Les Paul tuned to a C, on a loud Matamp with 2 cabinets, full gain etc. Think stoner, garage, rock, punk etc...

I would like to buy a step up from a Les Paul Studio. Which G&L would best suit my playing ? Keep in mind that I'll never be playing blues or reggae or basically anything without distortion !

At this stage, the one I like best is the "ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow" . Because it looks nice !

Any thoughts or recommandations ?

Thanks !

Re: From a Les Paul to a G&L !

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 am

A Bluesboy would be great but if you are looking for the closest thing to a Les Paul crossover I'd say get
and ASAT Deluxe or ASAT Deluxe Semi-hollow. Both are two humbucker guitars and just beautiful.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 am

Well thanks for this useful answer !

I'll definitely look into them .

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:54 am

If you are looking for something a little different the F100 also has two humbuckers but a twin cutaway design.

I know what you mean about how hard it is to find G&L's in Europe, thomann.de sometimes has them and are good for mail order (they also have a big store in Berlin) but right now only list basses. Have you spoken with http://www.empmusic.nl/ at all? They can't be less helpful than the British distributor!

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Let me throw the 25th anniversary into the mix. all mahogany. rosewood fretboard. fat neck, fat tone. hot pickups

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 pm

thanks all for the suggestions, they have helped me see clearer what I need.

I had looked at EMP's website before but they are the G&L importers so I doubt they's sell me a guitar.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Based on the style of music you do, why not look at something like the Climax? Buffalo Bro's has one (a '95) in transparent blue with a hardtail/saddle-lock bridge. It's a beauty. It also has dual humbuckers. If you spend most of your time playing through the bridge pickup, maybe the Rampage? Invader?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:34 pm

I'd toss out everything posted so far in this thread except for Mr. Roundel's advice on the Rampage.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

G200!

IF...you can find one that is.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:19 am

Well so far the Asat Deluxe Semi Hollow is the one I like best (but very expensive also ! ) the 25th Anniversary looks good, so does the F 100.

The Climax and the Invader look too "metally" for my taste, I like a traditional shape that I 'll find nice to look at. As for the Rampage, I'm not too hot on pro signature models.

I was really confused by the number of pickup combinations on the G&L website and which I know nothing about. But thanks to everyone's answers it seems it's those double black ones I'm looking for. (whatever the scientific name is !)

Now all I need to do is find myself 2000 euros !

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 pm

kwistefe wrote:Well so far the Asat Deluxe Semi Hollow is the one I like best (but very expensive also ! ) the 25th Anniversary looks good, so does the F 100.

The Climax and the Invader look too "metally" for my taste, I like a traditional shape that I 'll find nice to look at. As for the Rampage, I'm not too hot on pro signature models.

I was really confused by the number of pickup combinations on the G&L website and which I know nothing about. But thanks to everyone's answers it seems it's those double black ones I'm looking for. (whatever the scientific name is !)

Now all I need to do is find myself 2000 euros !

After rereading your first post and now this, I'd suggest you re-examine the reason for upgrading from an LP Studio to a G&L. Sounds like your love and fondness of the G&L basses has heavily influenced your decision to go G&L for guitar. That's actually a great start, but keep in mind that the G&L basses have their strong following rooted primarily in their sound. Everything else is secondary. Your second post makes it sound like you're worried more about what it looks like. Nothing terribly wrong with that, but be cautious about what you pick considering your musical tastes and habits. My first suggestion for the Rampage was based on your high gain, loud, and aggressive music. For that, I really see no need for a neck pickup, and a tone control does you hardly any more favors either. Consider those that have gone that route before. And I can understand the chagrin on pro signatures, but the Rampage is different in that it wasn't created just for Jerry. He played one of these on all the early Alice in Chains tracks and kicked ass with it. The new model is a recreation of his old "off the shelf" Rampage. If you look at the semi-hollow G&Ls, beware the F hole and feedback at high gain. I'd suggest the non F-hole option, unless you really like the holes. I do have a semi-hollow double buckered guitar with a single F-hole and it does sound really good. Good enough that I'll never part with it, and it sounds great cranked through a Bogner Shiva. That sorta contradicts all I've suggested so far, but it helps make my final point, which is, if at all possible, try something or a similar model before you buy.

Good Luck, and apologies if I offended anybody by discounting their opinion without any explanation. I hate typing. That's not a good excuse, but that's all I got right now.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:27 pm

thecajunboy wrote: I'd suggest the non F-hole option, unless you really like the holes.

Huh huh huh....you said f-hole. :lol:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Hopefully one day, we will see the return of the G-200.
Sounds like it'd be a great transition from a Les Paul to a G&L.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 am

to thecajunboy: yes it's true I'm uncertain in what I'm looking for in a guitar. I want it to both look nice and sound as I want.

Just didn't want to end up with a jazz guitar by mistake because I don't know the first thing about pickups !

My basses do just that: my sunburst ASAT Bass Semi-Hollow is a piece of art and is so versatile too . So are the L 2000's. I'm just not sure I'll find this element of versatility in a guitar so I need to make sure !

It's nice you tipped me off about the f holes and feedback.

In the end I think i'm going for one of the F 100 's.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:57 pm

I'll tell you what, you should seriously check out the S-500. I owned the Tribby model, and it will cover a lot of sonic territory. I think it would make a great alternative to your Les Paul. Actually, I could see the S500 pushing over the Gibby to second spot in your arsenal. Another guitar to check if you can is the Legacy HB for a more traditional approach.

Deno