2006 NAMM show Comanche question

Tue May 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi,

I just grabbed this great guitar, and had a question for you all. This is how it is described:

"2005 G&L Commanche NAMM show prototype / One off. Pink Burst with matching headstock.
G&L made 4 prototypes of unusual bursts for NAMM in Jan '06. Cream to blue, mint green, caramel, and this crazy pink they dubbed "Pepto-burst". They never went into production."

Anyone have any pictures of the other 3 oddball finishes?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280 ... c59a41.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280 ... 0e45fd.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280 ... d26673.jpg

Thanks,
Jeff

BTW, I was on the board years ago when Brad ran it and just recently joined back up. I was "milo, king of seattle" back then....

Re: 2006 NAMM show Comanche question

Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 am

Welcome Jeff. I love that finish - looks like a Danelectro type thing. I'd love to see it on an SC1

Wed May 15, 2013 2:04 am

It also looks a bit like the bursts on Charvel Surfcasters. Which is a good thing BTW. I love 'em!

The burst on your Comanche reminds me of strawberries and cream. Mmmmm, cream......

Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

Oh, my gosh, Jeff, that is fantastic. Where/How did you get it and what kind of condition is it in?

Sat May 18, 2013 3:11 am

It's in totally mint condition, and could pass as new with all paperwork and all. Just a tiny bit of discoloration on the tip of the headstock, but it doesn't seem like it was caused by any handling.....just age. I saw it on ebay, but a friend I shared it with knew all about it and it's owner and put us in touch. It's a bit of a time capsule, I doubt it will be one that sits out of it's case for long periods! It's previous and only owner runs a pretty big guitar company, don't know if he wants to be named so I won't (but he's a super cool guy). Now I've gotta find the other 3 unique bursts from that show!

Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 am

jeffmarshall67 wrote:Hi,

I just grabbed this great guitar, and had a question for you all. This is how it is described:

"2005 G&L Commanche NAMM show prototype / One off. Pink Burst with matching headstock.
G&L made 4 prototypes of unusual bursts for NAMM in Jan '06. Cream to blue, mint green, caramel, and this crazy pink they dubbed "Pepto-burst". They never went into production."

Anyone have any pictures of the other 3 oddball finishes?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280 ... c59a41.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280 ... 0e45fd.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280 ... d26673.jpg

Thanks,
Jeff

BTW, I was on the board years ago when Brad ran it and just recently joined back up. I was "milo, king of seattle" back then....

Welcome back, Jeff! :wave:

I finally found this photo Dean or I took at the 2006 NAMM show:

G&L called these Powderburst finishes, with yours on the right having the Pink Powderburst.

I believe one of G&L's dealers bought all four at the NAMM show. The other Comanche in Blue Powderburst showed up on eBay (dealer Ad).
Both Comanches have been registered in the G&L Registry. I don't know what happened to the ASAT Semi-Hollow nor the Legacy, though.

Good luck on your search for the others.

:ugeek:

Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 am

Wow Craig, thanks for finding that picture and the information! I'm always hunting the elusive guitar, you never know what will pop up!

I have the bumper sticker that is your avatar upstairs with my G&L memorabilia, glad I never stuck it on anything

Jeff

Sat May 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Craig wrote:Image

Those guitars look good enough to EAT.

Sat May 18, 2013 3:54 pm

jeffmarshall67 wrote:It's in totally mint condition, and could pass as new with all paperwork and all. Just a tiny bit of discoloration on the tip of the headstock, but it doesn't seem like it was caused by any handling.....just age. I saw it on ebay, but a friend I shared it with knew all about it and it's owner and put us in touch. It's a bit of a time capsule, I doubt it will be one that sits out of it's case for long periods! It's previous and only owner runs a pretty big guitar company, don't know if he wants to be named so I won't (but he's a super cool guy). Now I've gotta find the other 3 unique bursts from that show!

Yeah, I've met the fella you're talking about (I recognize the workbench in that photo); great guy, great guitars (I currently own one, and previously owned another). Thanks for sharing the details of the acquisition!

Question: clearly, the white balance of the camera used to take the recent photos differs from that which took the NAMM photo, so, on my monitor, the color in the recent pix looks exactly like the "Copper Burst" finish on my Korean Danelectro 59-US reissue, and the color in the NAMM photo looks like a much more straight up "hot pink" burst; if they look that way on your computer, which photo best represents the color as it currently appears in person to the/your naked eye?

Sat May 18, 2013 4:27 pm

the picture of the bunch really makes the white stand out more than it does in person, but the pink is definitely pink. It looks to me like the pink in a Paisley Fender reissue. In person the white is much more opaque and a bit pearly. So, to answer your question the real color kind of lies in the middle of the two pics. I have a 3 year old and a guitar show to hit tomorrow, but will try to take some good pictures of it myself. Here's another from his listing, and I'd say it gives it a little more of a darkish tint than in reality. I guess a good way to contrast the white is to look at the pickguard vs. the finish. The pink is definitely more pink than in this picture. It's definitely not on the copper side of things

Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 am

what a hard guitar to photograph! I was able to get a real idea of the "white" part....but none of the pics I took were as pink as the actual guitar. The next sunny day I will try some outside. Here's what I came up with:

Mon May 20, 2013 9:44 pm

No matter what, it is a stunning looker. :happy0065:

- Jos

Tue May 21, 2013 8:04 pm

"Wow!" with a capital "W."

Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm

that color is so cool it's like a popsicle

Tue May 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Hey Jeff-When can I see that one in person?
And hey kudos should go out to Ken fro Reverend who sold that to you. He is a solid guy and a G&L fan.

Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 pm

If anyone ever stumbles across the green one, please give me a shout!

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 am

here's a question, when one searches for "pink powderburst" and "comanche" in the registry.....2 serial numbers come up. The one I just registered and another one describing this one to a tee. Maybe they made 2? Maybe the serial # from a previous owner was entered incorrectly? I know mine is right, the actual serial # and the one on the certificate match what I entered. Thoughts?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 pm

jeffmarshall67 wrote:here's a question, when one searches for "pink powderburst" and "comanche" in the registry.....2 serial numbers come up. The one I just registered and another one describing this one to a tee. Maybe they made 2? Maybe the serial # from a previous owner was entered incorrectly? I know mine is right, the actual serial # and the one on the certificate match what I entered. Thoughts?

I see if I can find out from Dave about those two serial numbers.

Stay tuned.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Craig wrote:
jeffmarshall67 wrote:here's a question, when one searches for "pink powderburst" and "comanche" in the registry.....2 serial numbers come up. The one I just registered and another one describing this one to a tee. Maybe they made 2? Maybe the serial # from a previous owner was entered incorrectly? I know mine is right, the actual serial # and the one on the certificate match what I entered. Thoughts?

I see if I can find out from Dave about those two serial numbers.

Stay tuned.

Heard back from Dave.

There is only one guitar. It was built for the 2006 NAMM on 1/12/06 with serial number CLF38743. After the NAMM show, it was shipped to
Oklahoma Vintage Guitar on 2/2/06. It came back in late January '07 and got a new neck (and serial number CLF45683) and then shipped back out on 3/21/07.

I have removed the registry entry for CLF38743 and added a note to your registry entry about the original neck with s/n CLF38743 being replaced.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Craig for the sleuthing....glad G&L got the neck sorted out in the past. Funny, it's the third G&L I've had with a neck that needed to be replaced. Call it "jeff's luck". G&L always gets it sorted out and fixed though!