Vibrato arm set screw

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:24 am

Howdy all,

Can anyone tell me what size and thread pitch the set screw is for the vibrato arm in a current model (2012) dual fulcrum bridge (I'm assuming it's the same for Tribute and USA guitars)?

I went to screw my vibrato arm in this morning and the set screw's fallen out. Grubbed around in the carpet for a while looking for it, but I'm pretty sure I've sucked it up in the vacuum and it's gone for good. I checked the Knowledgebase and could find the size of the allen key, but not the set screw itself.

Cheers
Pat

Re: Vibrato arm set screw

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I don't know the thread size off hand . Here's a link to the parts from G&L ,

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... -screw-set

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Ah, so they are the same as the tension set screw on the saddle lock bridge, I wasn't sure whether that was the case. I immediately went searching for the thread about the saddle lock set screw in the Knowledgebase, but it just had the same link that you provided :lol:

I don't need six of them, so I might just get the socket set out and undo the vibrato arm post so I can take that to the hardware store, rather than lugging the whole guitar in.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:06 pm

patricks wrote:
I don't need six of them, so I might just get the socket set out and undo the vibrato arm post so I can take that to the hardware store, rather than lugging the whole guitar in.

You say that now :lol:
Is the nylon bushing still in the vibrato,those are nice to have on hand too ( you can fix your friends G&Ls ).
If you find a good alternative let us know.

cheers

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:49 pm

You say that now :lol:

You're right, saying "I don't need six" does sound like famous last words...

The nylon bushing's still in there, so I'll get a replacement set screw from the hardware shop tonight and order the set to keep in my toolbox :mrgreen:

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Got 'em! Mine's a Tribute guitar, but I think the set screws are the same as for USA models. The screws are M4, 0.7 pitch. The ones I got were 5mm long, cos that's the shortest they had in stainless steel, but I think the originals were 3 or 4mm long. Got a couple of spares just in case, too :mrgreen:

Unless you're in a hurry, though, I reckon it works out better to get 'em from G&L. Mine were $1 each, which certainly won't break the bank, but for $6 (plus postage) from the online store you get 6 screws and bushings as well (which they definitely don't have at the hardware shop).

All's well that ends well, then!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 pm

patricks wrote:Got 'em! Mine's a Tribute guitar, but I think the set screws are the same as for USA models. The screws are M4, 0.7 pitch. The ones I got were 5mm long, cos that's the shortest they had in stainless steel, but I think the originals were 3 or 4mm long. Got a couple of spares just in case, too :mrgreen:

Unless you're in a hurry, though, I reckon it works out better to get 'em from G&L. Mine were $1 each, which certainly won't break the bank, but for $6 (plus postage) from the online store you get 6 screws and bushings as well (which they definitely don't have at the hardware shop).

All's well that ends well, then!

US models built in 2006 to present will use the same set screws as the Tribute Series. See: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

:ugeek:

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 am

Excellent, thanks for that! :thumbup: