G&L FALLOUT – How ‘bout Some Shameless Love

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Am I alone in my belief that the Fallout is one of the great rock & roll guitars to come out onto the market over the past 25 years? I hope the guitar community will really pick up on this instrument and turn it into the classic that I believe it deserves to be.

The story is that back over the summer I was looking for a versatile guitar to use as a backup for my Fender Tele Deluxe. I investigated and tried quite a few different makes and models before discovering that G&L had released a Tribute series Fallout. Amazingly, the guitar was selling at a ridiculously low [actual price removed by Admin] and to make it even better, it was available in Sonic Blue (one of my favorite colors) with a vintage tint gloss maple neck & fingerboard (also my preference). There weren’t any stores near me that had the Fallout in stock and I couldn’t find any online demos either but since I am very familiar with the high level of quality control on the Tribute models (I own an ASAT Tribute Special and I’ve played some Tributes that are comparable or better than many $1000 plus models from other companies), I figured for [actual price removed by Admin] it was worth taking a chance.

I placed my online order with The Guitar Store in Seattle and got the guitar 3 days later. When I picked it up, I was blown away by the light weight (a little over 7 lbs.), the comfort of the body contour, the smoothness of the neck/fretboard and the incredible all around weight balance. When I plugged it in, I was even more blown away by its sound and versatility. The G&L humbucker in the bridge absolutely howls when pushed with some overdrive or distortion and shimmers when played clean. The push/pull coil split turns it into a very representative single coil with the requisite snap we all love. The Paul Gagon P90 in the neck is an amazing piece of work. It’s got great P90 punch, but if you dial back the volume and/or tone just a little bit, you get incredible mids without losing the bite that allows you to cut through any mix. And it has little to no buzz even when the switch is set to the neck PUP and you play the P90 by itself! This thing is so versatile, just by tweaking the volume and tone knobs as well as the 3 way pickup switch, I was actually able to remove several effects settings on my pedalboard. I’ll bet if I could do a blind test with a knowledgeable pro guitarist and told them that the Tribute Fallout was a $1200 USA built model, they probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

I was so impressed that the Fallout Tribute immediately became my #1 guitar. So I’ve gone and sold my Tele Deluxe and Gretsch Electromatic and put in an order for a USA Fallout (vintage tint gloss Quartersawn Maple neck and fretboard, white neck binding, locking tuners, Belair Green with matching headstock). If the Tribute is that good, I can’t even imagine how good the custom USA model is going to be.

To me, the Fallout is a truly unique, versatile and wonderful instrument and I feel that it needs to be mentioned in the same breath as some other classic guitars such as the Tele, Strat, Les Paul and SG. Maybe I’m a little nuts because the guitar suits me so well, but maybe there’s a bunch of other players who feel this way too. If so, I’d love to hear about it so I know I’m not the only one with a Fallout obsession. I guess time will tell. Meanwhile, the new Fallout should be here in about 6 weeks, so I’ll put up some pics when it arrives.

Last edited by Craig on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin edited the actual new price postings as they are not allowed.

Re: G&L FALLOUT – How ‘bout Some Shameless Love

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Very cool blueburst! I too have grown to appreciate the Fallout. Once I break in the WR and the LE-2, I may just end up with one of these as well...Can't wait to see your Belair Green one, she sounds like a beauty!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Shame less love headed your way ..lol.. I like it and HNGD !! ..... I like Fallouts in general and I like the pick guards on FO's too , I have a new SC2 so I know I like the shape , I was going to order a Fallout but ended up getting a LE 2 # 007 ..... I will still get a Fallout someday .....

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:12 am

...and I forgot to mention how much I love the cool retro vibe of the Fallout, with that sweet Fender P Bass-like pickguard. Also that when I brought it into the band room for it's first rehearsal, the whole band flipped out on the tone and insisted that I play the Fallout all the time from now on - which I had already decided to do! :D

And I think if I get the opportunity, I may have to pick up an SC-2 one of these days so I can have another tonal possibility while keeping that comfortable body shape.

Fumble Fingers - How does the Legacy 2 sound? The Strat/Legacy body shape is classic and comfortable too, but the single coil sound doesn't fit my band's sound. I'm wondering if the 2 HB configuration of the LE2 fattens things up a lot but still keeps some of that classic traditional Strat/Legacy sound. That could be an interesting possibility for me too!

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 am

S 500 or Comanche would be a better choice for a darker sound single coil Strat wise plus you get the expander switch to change your tone even more with S 500 and Comanche , I haven't played the HB but I do have a ASAT deluxe with humbuckers being made but don't have it yet.... the SC2 would be a good compliment to your Fallout single coil wise too , you like the shape , the feel and the big MFD's sound great

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks Fumble Fingers! I kind of forgot about the expander switch on the Comanche, but you have a great point. I'll have to keep that one in mind along with the SC2. Ahhh. If only I could get both. Thanks again for the info!

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:13 pm

The S-500 and Comanche also use the PTB system.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 pm

You're definitely not alone - I just received my 2nd USA Fallout (NGD post to follow...) and am even more in love. You hit the nail on the head when you said "versatile guitar." Congrats on your order! I'll look forward to seeing it.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Its a great pickup combination etc. Personally I'm bummed they don't offer any neck options but the fairly thick #1.

The original SC2s and SC3s had very skinny necks. If they really wanted to be "inspired by" those guitars, they'd offer them with a #1a.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:42 am

please let us know how you compare the trib to the US one !!

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:59 am

Love my fallout (and my SC2). Are they supposed to have a coil split for the rear pick up or is it only on certain models? mine doesn't but I haven't missed it.
Mine's US made and worth every cent.
Jeremy

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:06 am

Odd... This is from G&L's description of the Tribute Fallout: From dirty riffs to jangly hooks, the G&L Tribute Series Fallout delivers with a great pairing of Paul Gagon-designed Alnico pickups: a gorgous P-90 and meaty humbucker splittable via a push/pull tone pot. The USA model doesn't have that in its description, but I always thought the pups were split when the toggle is in the middle position.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:43 am

My understanding is that the early production Fallouts did not have a coil tap and really didn't intend to have one. When the LE-2 suggested one, they tried it out on the Fallout and were pleasantly surprised with the result. The product description changed and the demo guitars (like Nick Jaffe's sparkle blue) were retrofitted in the field.

Ask your dealer in the push-pull tap can be added under warranty. Or, be happy that you have an early model sans tap.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:19 pm

The Fallout is a great concept and deserves to be a big success.
Hopefully without wandering too far off-topic, I can't help thinking what a great pickup layout that would be in an Asat Deluxe, too... :evilgrin:

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:40 am

More shameless love blue burst & congrats on your current & upcoming baby :D
You're definitely not alone regarding your adoration of the fallout/SC-2 builds bud,especially round these parts .i once asked the question what weapon of choice the guys here prefer expecting a legacy/ASAT duke out & at least half replied the SC-2 ,much to my surprise :lol: It was a telling moment for me,& a large reason why I jumped on the LE-2 express .
Looking forward to seeing your custom mate,cheers :thumbup:

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 am

Who else thinks G&L would sell more SC-2's if they offered a front loaded piece with the same or similar pick guard?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 am

I like both, but prefer the look of rear loaded. I wish the SC-2 had the PTB tone controls to give more differentiation from the ASAT Special.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 am

whats a ptb control? sorry...:0 Can you put it in the fallout? I think it may be the bass contour thing like on reverends??

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:19 pm

PTB circuit

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=707

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:38 pm

I like the sc-2 i have...the only issue i have is the somewhat noisey pickups that do scream though.....Would be cool to put the f100 mfd bridge in there with a coil tap though....is that even possible? ...Or worth it?...are those mfd pickups in the sc-2 top mounted with no route under it or is there a route there?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:40 pm

The LE-2 has the F100 MFD bridge and the soapbar MFD the SC-2/ASAT Special. I find the MFDs to be quieter than other single coil PUs. For the same output the volume can be turned down leaving virtually no noticeable 60 hz hum.

PTB is found in the Legacy and S-500, allows for separate cutting of bass and treble. This should allow for more flexibility in changing the tone. Fallout, SC-2, and LE-2 have a single tone control.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 am

I'm thinking about picking up a short-scale bass to learn on while I also work on guitar. Too bad G&L doesn't offer one. You know what would be great? A short-scale Fallout bass. :happy0065:

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:10 am

My Ash Tribute:

Limited run of them, took the first one we opened home with me.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 am

what is the weight of that compared to the standard tribute????any idea??

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:34 am

fisticuffs wrote:My Ash Tribute:

I saw those on reverb.com . Nice looking Fallout! :thumbup:

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am

jageya wrote:what is the weight of that compared to the standard tribute????any idea??

This one is pretty heavy for ash. I don't think they will all be but it weighed in at 7.4, the standard I weighed was about the same. In general Swamp Ash should be slightly lighter than Mahogany but it varies.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:50 pm

i just asked a store that has them and they said 7 to 7.4 lbs....closer to 7.4.....That average...wonder if the tone is similar to the reg fallout tribute???...I prefer maple necks but its not a deal breaker...Does wood really affect the tone???? If so what is ash like compared to mahogany? My thinline tele w p90s is very light(6 lbs) and is bright and its mahogany....same with my other p90 guitars i have..all mahogany and light weight and bright..not dark...of course pickups are huge in the tone..lol.....

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:53 pm

jageya wrote:i just asked a store that has them and they said 7 to 7.4 lbs....closer to 7.4.....That average...wonder if the tone is similar to the reg fallout tribute???...I prefer maple necks but its not a deal breaker...Does wood really affect the tone???? If so what is ash like compared to mahogany? My thinline tele w p90s is very light(6 lbs) and is bright and its mahogany....same with my other p90 guitars i have..all mahogany and light weight and bright..not dark...of course pickups are huge in the tone..lol.....

I think Ash is generally a little more focused in the mid-high range where the standard mahogany is mid-low. Think Les Paul vs. a Tele Custom. Wood certainly affects tone, how much seems to differ depending on who you ask. Side by side I would think most ears could tell that this and a standard Tribute Fallout were different.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:23 pm

interesting....So if the ash is brighter then maybe the rosewood board would make it warmer?? whereas a tribute with maple neck like my sonic blue one may be a bit brighter with the maple neck??? I know its very subjective... I am a diehard tele player..but have a older les paul jr with 1 p90 and a musicman axis supersport mm90 and a few sqier 51's which i really like and really scream yet are versatile and light and play extremely well...oh and an axl 2 p90 badwater mjz which also plays well and sounds fantastic and plays very fender like with rosewood neck..cheap guitar but after a new trem block sounds very nice for slide guitar...

I have an sc-2 as well that i am on the fence about...it plays well and is cool but the pickups are very bright even with a rosewood neck..lol...i like them and the neck pup has great definition w/o being muddy at all.. same with bridge which screams yet cleanly..and cleans up well...like a tele on steroids but still composed.... but not really meaty like p90s...but thats i guess why the mfd pickups have their own place....

I would love to do a side my side of these 2 fallouts( my sonic blue with maple neck and the swamp ash one so i may have to guy one...lol...

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Ok just got my sonic blue fallout with maple neck! ...wowwwwwwwwwwwww... i like it better then my sc-2.....weight is 7.2 lbs....neck is amazing!!!!!..aged looking as well and while its supposed to be same dimensions of the sc-2 #1 it feels much like my tele necks...wowwwwww....and the pickups are awesome....I am a p90 guy so i feel the neck pickup is very hollow and very sweet sounding. The humbucker is in no way dark but really screams and when tapped it thins out but has that strat tone... when mixed with the p90 it is very sweet.....my only complaint is that the middle position is not hum canceling...and even with the humbucker full on in the mid position there is some hum which amplifies when the humbucker is tapped...and of course being single coiled the neck pup will hum but i expected the middle position to be hum canceling like my cheapie squier51...maybe its done on purpose for better tone??? but its not a deal breaker....I just hope its not wired wrong or is a defect????????

I am pleasantly surprised with the quality for an Indonesian guitar and was leery but feel that it is really amazing quality for the pricepoint and feels sturdy and plays excellent from the get go....while the pots may not be the best and the tuners are like basic mim tele or even squier type since there is no trem that should be ok and its likely where they saved money which is understandable.....an easy fix for cheap$$...

the color is more a minty green to my eyes whuch i like alot.....I am planing to replace the pickguard with a tortise shell brown or pearl white...like this

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:My Ash Tribute:

^^^^^ this about blew my gas meter ^^^^^

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:39 pm

your tellin me....i just ordered one....dont worry there are plenty around.......

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 am

jageya wrote:your tellin me....i just ordered one....dont worry there are plenty around.......

I think it will fit in nicely. I might like the SC-2 the best in that group. A lotta P90's. You may need a Reverend or two.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Funny you should mention reverend...I had a slingshot when reverend first was on the map....hollow and way to trebley for me... sold it many many years ago...should have kept cause would be worth alot now maybe.....anyhow i have been considering the reverend as i like the sensei rt or 90 model specs and tones butt.......way overpriced to me....they are more of a 4-$500-600 guitar tops...Even used people are asking too much in my mind. If i could find one for 300-400 used i would consider it but i must say even the sc-2 is overpriced..i traded a buy my legacy for it so it was a no brainer...i would never have bought it though...Even some g&l dealer i know says its hard for him to sell the usa fallout when hanging next to it is the tribute model and the differences are just not $500-700-800 worthy to most consumers...its a hard sell....Years ago i had a few g$l when leo was alive and they were reasonable to compete with fenders and even more expensive lines....Now its just crazy!...the tribute fallout is amazing for the price( $360-$400)....and superior to MIM fenders i have and i have played and even my fender single tv jones cabronita is as good a build as the fallout tribute..to me.

So...i am looking at a daisy rock( yea i know) single p90 double cut made in korea guitar as its quality is very good as well....and its like $200.00...good little modding guitar like the squire 51....eventhough stock they are decent as well..

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

jageya wrote:Even some g&l dealer i know says its hard for him to sell the usa fallout when hanging next to it is the tribute model and the differences are just not $500-700-800 worthy to most consumers...its a hard sell

I'm going to start with a Tribute Fallout, but the ability to custom order a USA model in the exact configuration you want - including finishes - is very, very compelling. Where else can you get a guitar totally customized to you without spending a fortune? It's like being able to create your own signature model. :happy0065:

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 pm

jageya wrote:Funny you should mention reverend...I had a slingshot when reverend first was on the map....hollow and way to trebley for me... sold it many many years ago...should have kept cause would be worth alot now maybe.....anyhow i have been considering the reverend as i like the sensei rt or 90 model specs and tones butt.......way overpriced to me....they are more of a 4-$500-600 guitar tops...Even used people are asking too much in my mind. If i could find one for 300-400 used i would consider it but i must say even the sc-2 is overpriced..i traded a buy my legacy for it so it was a no brainer...i would never have bought it though...Even some g&l dealer i know says its hard for him to sell the usa fallout when hanging next to it is the tribute model and the differences are just not $500-700-800 worthy to most consumers...its a hard sell....Years ago i had a few g$l when leo was alive and they were reasonable to compete with fenders and even more expensive lines....Now its just crazy!...the tribute fallout is amazing for the price( $360-$400)....and superior to MIM fenders i have and i have played and even my fender single tv jones cabronita is as good a build as the fallout tribute..to me.

So...i am looking at a daisy rock( yea i know) single p90 double cut made in korea guitar as its quality is very good as well....and its like $200.00...good little modding guitar like the squire 51....eventhough stock they are decent as well..

Are Daisy Rock still Korean? I remember them being surprisingly nice, but the last time i touched one...
I think the Reverend prices look high compared to the Tributes which are an unbelievable deal. Those Korean factories have been at it a very long time now and a lot of stuff coming out of there in 2014 is in that range. The Rev's have some unique features and pickups though, and get thoroughly inspected/set up/fretwork here in the US. Plus as a relatively small operation even compared to G&L they probably do;t get the economy of scale of PRS, Schecter etc who also have Korean builds.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 pm

RedHotFuzz wrote:
jageya wrote:Even some g&l dealer i know says its hard for him to sell the usa fallout when hanging next to it is the tribute model and the differences are just not $500-700-800 worthy to most consumers...its a hard sell

I'm going to start with a Tribute Fallout, but the ability to custom order a USA model in the exact configuration you want - including finishes - is very, very compelling. Where else can you get a guitar totally customized to you without spending a fortune? It's like being able to create your own signature model. :happy0065:

I can get behind that.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 pm

of course everything customized will cost more and its cool to have exactly what you want...like buying a car or home remodel....but to me a guitar is a tool and not a work of art ...It can be for some and thats nice but someones tribute wont really be worse then anothers usa...Again i think of tele and strats and even sg or les pauls....they were workhorses and disposable guitars in a sence that they were generic and not custom.....and still to this day that can ring true and consumers can repaint or replace parts and pickups ect ect on their own economically.

Whatever floats your boat...Its cool that such a great company as G&l does customize to you with whatever color-pickup-neck you want...Same with amp makers and bassists and drummers.....there will always be a market....I guess if i was really wealthy i would go crazy( like j leno does with cars)...with amps and guitars...( not that my friends dont think I already go crazy..lol)...but i wouldnt collect just to collect...I would collect to play....and if it played poorly or the neck wasnt to my liking or the color was lame i just wouldnt have it...even if it was a 1956 les paul jr....or buddy hollys 1st guitar.....

I personally try to find the best deals and am all for the underdog of guitars( the brand doesnt matter to me as long as it feels good in my hands)...even the parts can be changed out or new pickups put in ...so to me the fun is in finding a $100 or $200 or $300 or $400 guitar that is a great value for the price.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:14 pm

jageya wrote:I personally try to find the best deals and am all for the underdog of guitars( the brand doesnt matter to me as long as it feels good in my hands)...even the parts can be changed out or new pickups put in ...so to me the fun is in finding a $100 or $200 or $300 or $400 guitar that is a great value for the price.

Absolutely. And if I could get a Tribute Fallout in vintage white with a body-colored headstock, I'd be more than happy to have the extra dollars in my pocket too. :(

Nonetheless, a Tribute in Sonic Blue is on my wishlist (cream pick guard to be added after).

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:51 pm

I test drove a Reverend Tricky Gomez with the idea playing it was simply a formality leading to purchase. I was let down, the bridge was placed off center, the high E ran off the finger board and the spacing was uneven string to string. The neck felt OKAY but their version of F-trons were too bass and flat sounding. Overall fit and finish, underwhelming.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:09 pm

the sonic blue is more of a minty green...i like it...see my pic above...compared to the himilayan blue of the sc-2 its rather green. thanx

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:36 pm

my sonic blue tribute fallout is 7.0 lbs....i wish the swamp ash orange one was 7 lbs or less..... but from the shop they said its 7 lbs 15 oz....wow

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Too bad they don't make lefty versions of these. I was starting to become more interested in this model.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:52 pm

don't they make lefty US Fallouts now ??..... I thought they did after the LE2 just like the DF on a Fallout ??

I like my Fallout , it's my number 1

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:13 pm

If they do, that's news to me. If I look at the G&L generator, there is no option to select a left handed fallout. I'm not sure how reliable that is, just saying the option isn't there. Also, there is no information on G&L's website about a lefty fallout, so I'm not sure.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:15 pm

the G&L generator is NOT run by G&L and is not up to date

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 pm

in the knowledge base general questions at the top of the page is 2014 models and specs ..... invaders , rampage , super hawk and F100 are listed right hand only ...... Fallout is not listed like that so until Craig comes on here and corrects me I'm going to say US Fallout available in Lefty ...... righty Fallout NO Dual Fulcrum only before LE2 , righty and lefty Fallout with Dual Fulcrum after the LE2

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm not Craig but he has posted on this forum that the Fallout is now available for Lefties. I was going to order one but at the time the only neck option was the standard #1. I like #3.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:42 pm

Just a quick update…sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. But it looks like the Fallout is indeed available for lefties. The shop I'm working with confirmed this with their G&L rep.

Now this makes my decision much tougher because I originally was going to order a Bluesboy. Now I'm torn between these 2 models. CRAP!!

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Nubs wrote:Too bad they don't make lefty versions of these. I was starting to become more interested in this model.

Nubs wrote:If they do, that's news to me. If I look at the G&L generator, there is no option to select a left handed fallout. I'm not sure how reliable that is, just saying the option isn't there. Also, there is no information on G&L's website about a lefty fallout, so I'm not sure.

Well, too bad you didn't remember your first post because I pointed you to this Knowledgebase post: Current G&L Lefty USA standard production Models. :roll: