some amps

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm

picked up a 57 tweed twin reissue, gotta say that this is a killer. there seems to be some controversy about these, tone quest report slammed 'em pretty bad, then worked with it and ended up loving it after some simple mods. i tried the speaker swap that they recommended, and reverted to the original weber/eminence deal. amp sounds great stock, it may be a break-in issue.
big classic fender cleans that sound clean even when breaking up. very sweet with my early duncan equipped legacy. even sounds great at low volume!!! this is the fender sound.
in non fender land, the matchless clubman is an amazing piece, the touch sensitivity, 3-4 d swirl, unlimited chime, and bulletproof feel are just amazing, the depth of tone is really wild with the matchless 2-12.
lots more, these are the two that get the most use lately.

Re: some amps

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:40 am

IMHO...those are both GREAT amps!

I love the tweed sound - clean heaven until about 4, then grind!

The clubman is one of the better modern amps - they do the spacial thing as well as anyone.

No wonder they are getting played!

Congrats!

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:27 pm

I love the Matchless stuff. I've owned an SC-30, Clubman, and Clubman Reverb. I used the Clubman heads with a 2x10 cab, 4x10, and 1x12. I do regret getting rid of the SC-30. As for the others, they were fantastic, but, too heavy and too loud for most of the clubs we played. Congratulations on your amps!
Crank 'em up so we all can hear!!!

RickT

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 am

I have an early 2000 Fender Pro reverb 1-12. I like it, especially the reverb. I played a new 65 Twin Reverb Custom 15 about a year ago. I couldn't believe the clean sensitivity, you could actually hear the fingering. I do not use the Pro Reverb anymore. I am going to put a send /return on the Custom 15 at some point. My point is that I was surprised at the difference in the two, both Fender and priced very similar. - Darwin

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:58 pm

The perfect set up to me is a Vox Night Train paired with a Mesa Boogie Nomad 55.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am

Got to play the Night Train the other day; definitely a solid offering. I'm an Orange fan personally, and I probably preferred the Night Train to the Tiny Terror (with which the NT was designed to compete). Personally I play my Legacy thru an Orange AD30TC 212 combo. Really great blues drive setup, and the clean tones from my Alnico neck PUP are spectacular, especially with my Keeley Compressor.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:32 am

Ohmart wrote:Got to play the Night Train the other day; definitely a solid offering. I'm an Orange fan personally, and I probably preferred the Night Train to the Tiny Terror (with which the NT was designed to compete). Personally I play my Legacy thru an Orange AD30TC 212 combo. Really great blues drive setup, and the clean tones from my Alnico neck PUP are spectacular, especially with my Keeley Compressor.

I believe that Orange has Celestion vintage 30s. Ive tried them with the NT, they definately add a bluesy tone.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:25 am

I've also got a Gibson Skylark-T that I've really been digging lately. 5w, 10" speaker, analog tremolo circuit. The cleans are honestly probably better than my Orange; I like using the two of them together with my A/B switcher for as much versatility as possible. Best I can tell it's a 1967 model (Gibson made cosmetic changes almost every year thru the 60s). I picked it up at GC for two bills around Christmas because I needed a small, easily portable tube practice amp; I'm a sucker for vintage gear; and I've always been impressed with the Gibson amps I've played (the first all-tube amp I fell in love with was the Goldtone GA-30RV 1x10 1x12 combo). Anybody else have much experience with their amps, particularly older stuff?